Need help with PC to run BI

Meltz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey fenderman, Ive been watching that Dell outlet and I don't see that they are adding anymore PCs there. I might have to choose from whats left or wait til they have another sale, (who knows when that might happen).

May I ask, what specs are you running as I saw in another thread that your using one of these dell refurbished pcs as well.

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey fenderman, Ive been watching that Dell outlet and I don't see that they are adding anymore PCs there. I might have to choose from whats left or wait til they have another sale, (who knows when that might happen).

May I ask, what specs are you running as I saw in another thread that your using one of these dell refurbished pcs as well.

Thanks.
Dell has these sales monthly..or even more often...
I have a bunch of these systems..a mix of dell optiplex (some older with sandy bridge - they have been running without a hiccup for years) some ivy and some newer haswell... I usually get the 7020 and 9020...I also use hp elitedesk systems that i get on ebay...the specs depend on the number of cameras...i5 or i7, I dont bother with the i3...

Meltz

n3wb
Reaction score
Dell has these sales monthly..or even more often...
I have a bunch of these systems..a mix of dell optiplex (some older with sandy bridge - they have been running without a hiccup for years) some ivy and some newer haswell... I usually get the 7020 and 9020...I also use hp elitedesk systems that i get on ebay...the specs depend on the number of cameras...i5 or i7, I dont bother with the i3...
So what do you suggest I go with, I know an i7 but should I go for a 4 GB of ram of 8 gb. And how about the basic AMD video cards? I found one on the website, i7 w/ 8 GB ram and 1 tb hdd w/ amd video card. $40 more then the same system without amd video card and only 500 gb hdd.

As I said I above I'd like to be able to run 10-15 cams to be safe, efficently at 3 mp each.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to this whole surveillance thing. Thanks for helping me out.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So what do you suggest I go with, I know an i7 but should I go for a 4 GB of ram of 8 gb. And how about the basic AMD video cards? I found one on the website, i7 w/ 8 GB ram and 1 tb hdd w/ amd video card. $40 more then the same system without amd video card and only 500 gb hdd.

As I said I above I'd like to be able to run 10-15 cams to be safe, efficently at about 3 mp each.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to this whole surveillance thing. Thanks for helping me out.
If the price difference is small get the 8gb, otherwise you can always add more...you dont want the video card...the intel onboard graphics is more than sufficient and way more power efficient...also the card adds, heat, noise and another point of failure.
You will most likely want to add another drive anyway so the hd is not really a big deal..