Need opinion on my Camera layout/settings

dnsource

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm going to start with the front of my home. I just recently replaced my old swann system with 5 megapixel Hikvision clone turrets running on Blue Iris. Attached are some pictures of the front.

Concerns I have:

CAM A) The camera by the front door is only getting a side angle and not much detail. Where else should I place a camera to get more facial recognition?

- I have the Nelly Security doorbell on the way.

CAM B) Critique...

CAM C) Should I put a camera in the other corner?

CAM D) Would like to get more of a clear picture towards the gate. Possibly a camera in the other corner facing the boat?

*Sorry for the image size, not sure how to fix the size on here

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Avoid the 5mp hik unless you don't need night captures

dnsource

n3wb
Reaction score
Avoid the 5mp hik unless you don't need night captures

So those are not recommended for to get decent distance at night?

Wish I would have done some more homework on here before purchasing. The guy at the local shop was raving about the over the 4 megapixel hikvision. The place I went to is a Hikvision retailer.

dnsource

n3wb
Reaction score

This is the image I get when the timer shuts off the landscape and soffit lighting around 4am

Reaction score
I get crystal clear images at night of stationary objects with the Starlight mini-dome and 3DNR, is there anyway you can test and see how those cameras work with a slowly moving object in the scene with only IR illumination?

dnsource

n3wb
Reaction score
I get crystal clear images at night of stationary objects with the Starlight mini-dome and 3DNR, is there anyway you can test and see how those cameras work with a slowly moving object in the scene with only IR illumination?
I actually purchased a couple of the starlight 2 megapixel cams for my business. Might try those out and possibly swap them out =).

I only found night clips of cars. Here is a daytime clip for now

Reaction score
That's definitely great picture, but it is daytime and higher MP than my Dahua. The night time shots of someone prowling around under just IR I think would push you away from the higher MP.

dnsource

n3wb
Reaction score
That's definitely great picture, but it is daytime and higher MP than my Dahua. The night time shots of someone prowling around under just IR I think would push you away from the higher MP.
Thank you. I’m going to try the dahua when they come in later today.

Any recommendations on placement or adding another camera by the door do get face detection ?

Reaction score
If your current camera (in picture A) isn't adequate already for face recognition my guess is because it is so high up and off to the side? Is that a doorbell that is lit up on picture A? If so I would put a mini dome or other compact camera eye-level like directly above that ringer on the wall. I feel bad even rendering advice, you need to wait for looney/fenderman/mat200/Tony that has 1000+ Likes on these forums, as they have a broader PoV.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Dnsource,

Looks like you're having fun. Thanks for sharing your pictures with us.

Feel free to add a couple more cameras to your setup.
If you like you can keep the Hikvision cameras in their current spots even, just augment the setup with a few starlights.

Perhaps 2 cameras total to cover your cars, one on each end of the house next to the parking spots. ( add a starlight to a "C2" location to the other side of C )
If possible try to add them lower if you expect the suspect to be close to the camera, < 8 feet high is the general rule.

Definitely look to add a camera by the front door that is about 5 feet or so high. The current one gets a nice overview - now we want a solid facial shot by any close to the front door.

Recommend testing the corner wall by the front door - I like the Dahua OEM starlight Mini-dome wedge for that. IPC-HDBW42xx

Remember to test the locations out by having someone walk during the day and night time with a baseball cap and hoodie on and see if you get any good facial images.

dnsource

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Dnsource,

Looks like you're having fun. Thanks for sharing your pictures with us.

Feel free to add a couple more cameras to your setup.
If you like you can keep the Hikvision cameras in their current spots even, just augment the setup with a few starlights.

Perhaps 2 cameras total to cover your cars, one on each end of the house next to the parking spots. ( add a starlight to a "C2" location to the other side of C )
If possible try to add them lower if you expect the suspect to be close to the camera, < 8 feet high is the general rule.

Definitely look to add a camera by the front door that is about 5 feet or so high. The current one gets a nice overview - now we want a solid facial shot by any close to the front door.

Recommend testing the corner wall by the front door - I like the Dahua OEM starlight Mini-dome wedge for that. IPC-HDBW42xx

Remember to test the locations out by having someone walk during the day and night time with a baseball cap and hoodie on and see if you get any good facial images.
Having too much fun with this lol. It’s getting expensive, but all worth the peace of mind.

What starlight would you recommend for c2 ?? I’ll get 2, so I can add one to the corner where the boat is

I would love to add a camera in the corner you mentioned but how would I run cable through the brick wall, so it doesn’t look ghetto? The wire is easy to get to, it’s right above in the soffit. I would like to make it look as clean as possible.
* note- my doorbell is hard wired, I’ll check later to see if I have space to run cable.

Here is another option I thought of, in case the brick run doesn’t work out. My soffit is somewhere between 8-9 feet in the front entrance area. I can move camera A and add another facing he door (see pictured)

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Having too much fun with this lol. It’s getting expensive, but all worth the peace of mind.

What starlight would you recommend for c2 ?? I’ll get 2, so I can add one to the corner where the boat is

I would love to add a camera in the corner you mentioned but how would I run cable through the brick wall, so it doesn’t look ghetto? The wire is easy to get to, it’s right above in the soffit. I would like to make it look as clean as possible.
* note- my doorbell is hard wired, I’ll check later to see if I have space to run cable.

Here is another option I thought of, in case the brick run doesn’t work out. My soffit is somewhere between 8-9 feet in the front entrance area. I can move camera A and add another facing he door (see pictured)
Hi Dnsource,

Remember to test the locations out with a friend wearing a baseball cap and hoodie.

Your goal should be to have a good chance at getting an ID image - that is a clear facial image of any potential suspect.

Note, there are various options to mounting on brick or concrete walls, and using bulk cat5e any holes you make can be fairly small to accommodate the cat5e cable.