Need Rec - IP POE NVR System

Reaction score
Hi All -- I recently joined and doing my research. This is a much more complex subject that I had anticipated, and wrapping my head around all the options is challenging. Have read the cliff notes.

Looking for a rec on a 4 camera NVR system.

We are building a new home and it is pre-wired for cameras. Based on the reviews here, I am thinking dahua, but open to all others. Here are my priorities:

1. well designed, blends well on exterior of home -- unobtrusive. ideally black as most of the places they will be placed are darker in color
2. easy to setup and configure
3. decent mobile app that i can use away from my network
4. good image quality -- I'm not as worried about license plate ID, etc. our neighborhood is relatively safe -- these are to deter petty theft, monitor for packages, and check in on the kids when they are outside. Other features are nice to have
5. great reliability

I'd love a high quality US company, but it seems that most of the tech these days is chinese. i'd like to avoid chinese if possible due to security concerns. I'd also like to buy it in a single bundle if possible -- our low voltage contractor will do the install.

Our low voltage contractor offered something by Lux Technologies, but I can't really find much on them, so thinking they are not very well regarded.

I saw this on amazon -- but no reviews and claims that they unpackage and 'test' everything before sending. Not keen on that.

https://www.amazon.com/Dahua-Security-Camera-2108HS-8P-S2-IPC-HDW4631C/dp/B07D8T7ZWH/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=dahua+nvr&qid=1551808827&s=photo&sr=1-3

Thoughts and recommendations? Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

3. decent mobile app that i can use away from my network..

I saw this on amazon -- but no reviews and claims that they unpackage and 'test' everything before sending. Not keen on that.

https://www.amazon.com/Dahua-Security-Camera-2108HS-8P-S2-IPC-HDW4631C/dp/B07D8T7ZWH/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=dahua+nvr&qid=1551808827&s=photo&sr=1-3

Thoughts and recommendations? Thanks!
Welcome @Trevor Pearson

1) I recommend only purchasing from vendors which members recommend. Too many vendors which stretch the truth out there in Amazon / Ali / Ebay land.

Please see vendor section here for the top vendors.

2) IPC-HDW4631C-A - please read the reviews on that camera here before committing to the "buy it now" button

3) imho internet exposed Chinese Market cameras which can not have their firmware updated is asking for trouble.
Thus "..mobile app that i can use away from my network.." + Chinese Market camera just seems like a recipe for trouble.

Reaction score
3) imho internet exposed Chinese Market cameras which can not have their firmware updated is asking for trouble.
Thus "..mobile app that i can use away from my network.." + Chinese Market camera just seems like a recipe for trouble.
Great. Good to know that my hesitation is not unfounded.

That said -- what would be a good brand to look at? Seems to rule Dahua out . . .

Reaction score
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
I suggest you read the cliff notes again, not from your phone, but a real screen.
Ttrusted vendors.
https://store.ipcamtalk.com/
EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
Nellyssecurity.com
Thanks for the vendor tips -- I did read the cliff notes on a real screen, not sure I inferred it was mobile. :)

To be clear -- I'm not an enthusiast, just a home owner with enough knowledge to be dangerous. I'm prioritizing ease of use above configurability right now.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great. Good to know that my hesitation is not unfounded.

That said -- what would be a good brand to look at? Seems to rule Dahua out . . .
Hi Trevor,

Dahua as a brand is not ruled out - just Chinese market versions of the cameras can require more effort to manage than international versions.

PLEASE do take some more time and look at the cliff notes and the various threads on this topic. We've covered this many many times.