Need recommendation for cheap DVR that will connect to BI

New Daddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Many threads here suggest that not all DVRs can connect easily with BI.

Which cheap model will connect with BI for sure?
My only goal is using the DVR as analog-to-IP converter, in order to connect a couple of analog doorbell cameras to BI.
I don't need any bells or whistles of high-end DVRs.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many threads here suggest that not all DVRs can connect easily with BI.

Which cheap model will connect with BI for sure?
My only goal is using the DVR as analog-to-IP converter, in order to connect a couple of analog doorbell cameras to BI.
I don't need any bells or whistles of high-end DVRs.
Hi @New Daddy

Do you already have the cameras? I ask, because there are a few CCTV standards that you want to check when looking for a DVR that supports any coax bnc analog camera you may already have.

New Daddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @New Daddy

Do you already have the cameras? I ask, because there are a few CCTV standards that you want to check when looking for a DVR that supports any coax bnc analog camera you may already have.
Yes, they are actually doorbell cameras from AIPhone.
I currently have a DVR from Zosi, but it fails to connect with BI.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How are you trying to connect it to BI?

Are you select add camera and then typing in the IP address of the NVR along with username and password and then hitting find/inspect and then selecting a camera number?

Post screenshots of what comes up when you try the Find/Inspect.

But there is no list of which NVRs connect to BI - in general if it is ONVIF compliant then they should be able to come in, but it isn't always the case.

New Daddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How are you trying to connect it to BI?

Are you select add camera and then typing in the IP address of the NVR along with username and password and then hitting find/inspect and then selecting a camera number?

Post screenshots of what comes up when you try the Find/Inspect.

But there is no list of which NVRs connect to BI - in general if it is ONVIF compliant then they should be able to come in, but it isn't always the case.
Yes, I tried adding camera and then typing in the IP address.
In fact, I’ve tried almost everything that’s been suggested on this forum. There has been quite a few who had Zosi DVR and couldn’t connect them to BI.
One person mentioned in a thread that Zosi officially told him that Zosi DVRs cannot be connected to BI.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, an "analog-to-IP converter" (video encoder) can be VERY expensive. A cheap DVR with 4 to 8 channels might do the job if you can locate one that can stream to BI.

I have used BI with analog DVRs from Amcrest, Night Owl, Zmodo and EverFocus. All of them were purchased by customers BEFORE I was contacted so I this is based on what I have in my installation records The following info is NOT an endorsement of any product (especially Zmodo !), but I can say that I got them to stream successfully to BI. Good luck finding any of them. The following are links to models that my records show were the ones they bought and I got to stream to BI:

Also, a user stated back in Dec. 2016 that he got the Swann DVR8-1575 and NVR8-7200 units streaming to BI here.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, they are actually doorbell cameras from AIPhone.
I currently have a DVR from Zosi, but it fails to connect with BI.
Hi @New Daddy

Zmodo : From their "POE" products - which are not PoE, yet they advertise them as PoE products - I have NO trust at all in that brand and would recommend avoiding them ( you can search for that thread here .. )

AIPhone: This brand? AIPHONE - AIPHONE Global Headquarters ∣ Communication systems for Business, Industry and Home.

Do you have particular models?

Ideally, you do want to check the spec sheet and see what the specs state before looking for a DVR.

Does AIPhone not have a DVR?

New Daddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @New Daddy

Do you have particular models?

Ideally, you do want to check the spec sheet and see what the specs state before looking for a DVR.
These are the relevant specs from the specs sheet:

Power Source: 24V DC Supplied from CEU
Wiring Connection: RJ45 jack (CAT-5e)
Communication: Hands-free communication
(auto-voice actuated or PTT)
controlled by master station
Camera: ¼” color CCD camera
Pixels: 250,000 Pixels
Minimum 5 Lux
illumination:
Card Reader: HID® ProxPoint® Plus (6005B)

Are these specs particular enough to demand a specific type of DVR? Or can I buy an average DVR from the Amazon?