Need recommendations

Joe11

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,I currently have a q-see NVR with 8 QCN8068BA cameras. Works reasonably well, or so I thought. (4MP, PoE, 1/3" sensor)

Recently, a neighbor lost some from his yard, and asked me if I could help - found the footage (daytime), but could not even make out the large logos on the side of the truck (let alone the license plates) - despite bright daylight. This is the road right by the house, so about 40ft ish away?

Realized now that I need a better camera. I do have a Unifi PoE+ switch, Ethernet already wired in, and also have a PC that can run blue Iris if needed.
I plan to leave the q-see system in place, but would like to add 3 better ones that allow me to recognize better (maybe even license plates?)

Spent a few hours reading this site. Should I look into something with about 4x optical zoom? Or/and a better camera/sensor? Would an inexpensive Annke NC400 be too much of a compromise? (Initially considered reolink RLC820A, but it sounds like reolink is despised by many knowledgeable folks here). Would like better recording ability even at night (there are street lights, so not pitch dark around here)

Open to suggestions :)

Edit: I'm in the US

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a horrible MP/sensor ratio! And one camera cannot be the see all, be all camera. If you want plates, that is a camera dedicated to that.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

To identify someone with the 2.8mm lens that is popular, someone would have to be within 13 feet of the camera, but realistically within 10 feet after you dial it in to your settings.

1604638118196.png

My neighbor was bragging to me how he only needed his four 2.8mm fixed lens cams to see his entire property and the street and his whole backyard. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

Main keys are you can't locate the camera too high (not on the 2nd story or above 7 feet high unless it is for overview and not Identification purposes) or chase MP and you need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who. Also, do not chase marketing phrases like ColorVu and Full Color and the like - all cameras need light - simple physics...

If you want to see things far away, you need optical zoom, digital zoom only works in the movies and TV...

Regarding a camera for plates (LPR) - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH:

1607010182386.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
tonights latest email captures. sent at 80% resolution. Tomorrow when I go into work, the video on BI will have at least 2-3 clear frames of the plate if I were to need it. But I recognize both cars as residents of the condo. thats at shutter speed 1/1000. changed it up from 1/2000, but you can see where 1 plate is almost washed out.
s2.jpgs2a.jpgs3.jpgs3a.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Joe11

n3wb
Reaction score
That is a horrible MP/sensor ratio! And one camera cannot be the see all, be all camera. If you want plates, that is a camera dedicated to that.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.

Regarding a camera for plates (LPR) - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH:
Thank you - very helpful!

I'm planning to keep my existing cameras as overview cameras - these are at about 10ft height at the 4 corners of the house (2 at each corner). This is a corner house, so I plan to add the new cameras on the 2 sides close to the 2 streets.

Shutter speed - can that be controlled by Blue Iris for this camera? In other words, during daytime, record in color

Based on your detailed notes, I think I'm leaning more towards 5241-Z12E. Is there any alternative that you'd recommend? Either cheaper, or a better sensor (higher cost)? Just trying to evaluate options.

tonights latest email captures. sent at 80% resolution. Tomorrow when I go into work, the video on BI will have at least 2-3 clear frames of the plate if I were to need it. But I recognize both cars as residents of the condo. thats at shutter speed 1/1000. changed it up from 1/2000, but you can see where 1 plate is almost washed out.
Thank you - this is really great - I see why B/W makes more sense.

Is purchasing from amazon the right solution? I thought amazon is not an authorize vendor. Browsing the forums, I thought I saw that there are vendors that offer 4-5 year warranty by default. Thoughts?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look a dahua cameras.
test do not Guess....

1.Start with a good variable focus camera, so you test for the correct lens,lighting, camera placement.
2.use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
3.If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
4.If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
5. verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them at night ?

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

I recommend email andy

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: Amazon.com

Joe11

n3wb
Reaction score
4.If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.

You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.
Thank you - very informative.
I understand the issue with mounting camera higher than 7 ft - but that will be a challenge for my location. Brick exterior. I'll try to figure out some alternatives on getting it mounted lower than the 10-11 ft that I have currently.
I messaged Andy - but I'll send him an Email as well - thank you.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All of the camera settings are made within the camera GUI, not in Blue Iris, and not in an NVR either...

You set up in the camera a day profile and a night profile.

You need to decide the area you want coverage of and get the right camera for the job. The Z12E is the current king at further distances unless you get a PTZ.

Most of us here have a mix of cameras and resolutions, each selected specifically for the area being covered.

Joe11

n3wb
Reaction score
All of the camera settings are made within the camera GUI, not in Blue Iris, and not in an NVR either...
Thank you! That leads me to one more question (truly appreciate your patience with these). Cameras I've used in the past have insisted on using Internet explorer for camera admin gui access. Does the Z12E allow us to use Chrome or edge or firefox? or are we forced to use IE?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These cameras are the same way (for now).

Most manufacturers have centered their firmware around IE as that was the main browser for so many years.

Dahua does have a new web 5.0 coming out soon that will eliminate that need.

But it is a well-kept secret that IE is baked into Windows 10, so you still have it and can use it.

Last edited: