Need some advice for motion detection in BI

toonwolf

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I would like some advice/help choosing settings for motion detection in Blue Iris. The area I would like to use motion detection on has been marked as a hot spot, but for some reason it will not trigger the recording. Can someone please have a look at my settings and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

These are the Motion/Trigger settings for the camera:
motiontriggermolok.PNG
The area I would like to monitor has been marked with a hotspot rectangle
hotspotmolok.png
This is a video showing me walking in the hotspot area, and yes it's a Cat 5e cable in my hand after I had to use LAN instead of WLAN because of weak signal to the cam used to monitor the hotspot area..
[video=vimeo;95339965]https://vimeo.com/95339965[/video]

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
uncheck object detect/reject ....also you might want to lower your make to 0.5 seconds or so...

toonwolf

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
uncheck object detect/reject ....also you might want to lower your make to 0.5 seconds or so...
Thank's for your reply, what about using Brightness from motion detection? In the help-file it says:
By default, Blue Iris uses color and brightness changes to help detect motion. In certain circumstances, such as low-light, this may be undesirable. Try setting the brightness/color option to brightness only in low light conditions. If you are having trouble with shadows and lighting changes such as cloud cover, try setting this option to color only.
I'm thinking since I'm using IR light that Brightness is the best setting.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I really think its the object detect reject, it is known to cause the issue you are describing. As far as brightness i think he is referring to low light with no ir, just low light. Leave it on brightness and color. The next step would be to lower the min object size if unchecking object detect reject does not work.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With the amount of light it looks like is available I'd be curious to see what the image looks like with the camera forced to day mode.

toonwolf

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It's a full moon tonight and I should be sleeping instead of doing this :shame: but this is way to much fun.... This is a snapshot of the cam (Foscam FI9805W) forced to day mode
molok.20140515_021125.0.2.jpg
Looks like I should be keeping it this way..

toonwolf

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I really think its the object detect reject, it is known to cause the issue you are describing. As far as brightness i think he is referring to low light with no ir, just low light. Leave it on brightness and color. The next step would be to lower the min object size if unchecking object detect reject does not work.
Disabling object detect/redetect did the trick. Thank's!