Need suggestions for a Hikvision baby monitor and (wireless?) surveillance monitor...

le0pard

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up a couple Hikvision IP cameras to use as baby monitors. I think it would be best if they had 2 way audio. Wifi seems like it might be logical for ease of using them in different rooms/locations, but if not then they must be PoE. I know in the past people have suggested a device like the Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW Cube in the past. Is this still a good option? Are there better choices out there? :sad2:

I only plan on buying 2 IP Cameras for now (one upstairs, one downstairs). I would appreciate any suggestions people have, especially if they have set up systems for this exact purpose before and might have a better idea than what I'm thinking.

I just feel the baby monitor's that you can buy at the store are so overpriced and lack quality, so I'm trying to build one that will be much nicer and can be integrated into an entire house surveillance system in the future. :sentimental:

I would also like to have some sort of surveillance monitor that I can use to watch the camera (and possibly listen to it). This device would ideally be wireless, so I can carry it around the house and not need to have a hardwired TV or computer monitor in each room. Here is an example of what I imagine that device might look like:

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!! :cool:

Attachments

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Re: Need suggestions for a Hikvision baby monitor and (wireless?) surveillance monito

Do not get that rubbish in the photo at the bottom or you will have bought "overpriced and lack quality". Also, I use wireless but only where I need to. Stick to PoE where you can.

DS-2CD2432F-IW 2.8mm for your baby monitor (this is wireless but still requires 12v power - or can be PoE'd at a later date), DS-2CD2432F-IS substitutes audio for wireless.

If you're looking at indoor cameras I'd just get 2 more DS-2CD2432F-IS and wire them PoE to 1x DS-7604NI-E1/4P. You can then view them over your WiFi on your tablet or mobile phone or laptop.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Need suggestions for a Hikvision baby monitor and (wireless?) surveillance monito

@Del Boy, to clarify DS-2CD2432F-IW is both wireless/poe and has audio...http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/products_show.asp?id=9842
OP simply needs two cams and a cheap tablet...

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Oh silly me and yes in that case three of them and a cheap tablet with iVMS would be a good solution.

le0pard

n3wb
Reaction score

Thank you guys for the suggestions! :cool2:

I was wondering, will I need that NVR or can I alternatively use an old computer (running something like iSpy or Blue Iris) in order to connect a tablet or phone to for remote monitoring? :confused: I plan on eventually having 10 or more cameras that I will be using throughout the inside and outside of my home.

For what it's worth, I do already have a 24-port gigabit managed switch that I planned on using for the networking and PoE aspects in the future (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181234)

harrijs

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

If you need an NVR to record and are happy to use a separate PoE switch then the 7616NI-E2 or 7616N-E2 are great options.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I dislike when people start spreading fud. I have yet to see one instance of a scientific study showing the effects of IR on one's eyes. In some cases, your own web search leads to answers provided by a doctor of ophthalmology who stated "The LED source of CCTV has very low intensity of emitting the IR rays. It has been stated that the safety zone from the IR radiating instrument is 1.64 meter diameter from the source." We already know that the LEDs on the cams are very low voltage, so the Dr makes sense here.

I'm not saying that the OP should go out and get the largest IR array they can find and aim it directly at their child because there won't be any harm done, but I wouldn't be too concerned about placing a camera in the corner of a child's room that does have IR on it.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/eye-health/25e31-effects-led-ir-illumination-camera-monitoring-child.html#ixzz3jNFTdbcZ

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I dislike when people start spreading fud.
I'm going to check out this link because I've never thought about it before. I know UV is damaging to both eyes and skin.

My personal favourites for people saying stuff 100% definitively with no evidence are:

1) All Seagate drives are a disaster because I saw a BackBlaze photo go around the internet but didn't actually read the article.
2) Refurb HDD are a time-bomb and have had less QC/QA than Originals.
3) Don't buy off the internet because it's unsafe (normally spread by people who have never bought off the internet).
4) An IPCT favourite... your Chinese camera has malware in it's firmware, which is going to not only going to use the sharp 3MP camera you have pointed at your keyboard to steal all your bank details but will also emit low-level frequency that unbeknown to you will cause your house to eventually collapse.

le0pard

n3wb
Reaction score

The switch you linked to does not do PoE. You linked to the GS1910-24. For PoE you will need the GS1910-24HP. I can't find that model on newegg, but here it is on amazon.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NMS9Z4E/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00NMS9Z4E&linkCode=as2&tag=thetalhea-20&linkId=TZZZUJD6HAGAXK5K
@harrijs - Thanks for pointing that out! I actually did order the GS1910-24HP model from NewEgg a while back; I'm not sure why the link in my invoice (that I pasted here) displays the non PoE+ version. I guess I should open the box and make sure I got the one that truly supports PoE!

[MENTION]Dell Boy[/MENTION] - Thanks for the suggestions, I will look at both of those models. I haven't use an NVR before, but I assume they are very straight forward to use and setup. Right now I am using iSpy with my Foscam's and have the screenshots/video being saved to a PC, but an NVR might be more convenient if it can handle all 16 channels at once.

@Q2U - Great info, I didn't even think about that being an issue to consider. I will do some research around this to make sure I don't cause any damage.

@ruppmeister - Good points as well. I am going to do a bit of research and just be cautious. I would hope that a single camera in the room doesn't cause any real damage, but it is something I should at least be aware of and do some research on.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I dislike when people start spreading fud...
My wife is a teacher of the blind and visually impaired with additional certifications in orientation & mobility and special education. She mentioned the possibility in passing which I hadn't thought of...so I figured it was worth a mention. I don't have a baby that I considering pointing IR at, so it's no skin off my nose if it's true or not. And since I don't have a dog in that fight how much research on the issue do you think I'm gonna do? No, I have no skin in this game other than some compassion and consideration for a fellow human being who (I thought) deserves to have the potential issue brought to his attention, don't you think? Or would you rather have me send a couple hours and write a synopsis before I shine some light on the subject.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I would rather people do a little research before posting things like "don't damage you [sic] baby's eyes with IR" as if it was a fact. If instead you were just trying to bring some light to the subject for the OP to do their own research you used poor choice of words. Your words sound as if you intended on scaring the OP the use of a cam in the baby's room. Just sayin...

Sentusing Tapatalk

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I would rather people do a little research before posting things like "don't damage you [sic] baby's eyes with IR" as if it was a fact. If instead you were just trying to bring some light to the subject for the OP to do their own research you used poor choice of words. Your words sound as if you intended on scaring the OP the use of a cam in the baby's room. Just sayin...
Poor choice of words. Maybe a lazy post. Criticism accepted...and appreciated.