Need to cover a long driveway - recommendations?

vexter0944

n3wb
Reaction score
I have recently moved and am interested in covering a long driveway - according to google maps, it's 180 ft from my front door to the driveway - it's a wide open, driveway other then 1-2 trees, but they're really not in the way. I don't need plate numbers - I just need to know who's coming and going when I'm not around etc. See screenshot for Google maps measurement/pics. Let me know your thoughts and we'll go from there.

Thanks!

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If I were you I would get at least 2 Hikvision 3MP cams for that.

One, a DS-2CD2332-I with a 2.8mm lens. This will give you a wide angle overview showing your driveway and front yard.

The other, a DS-2CD2332-I or DS-2CD2032-I with 12mm lens. This is a much narrower view (more zoomed in) and should point down the driveway so you can better identify vehicles that are further away.

2.8mm is the widest lens available pre-installed in Hikvision's cheap cameras, and 12mm is the narrowest. For reference, 4mm is the default lens size that you typically get if you don't specifically ask for a different size.

Redeye

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually the DS-2CD2T32-I8 has an optional 16mm lens and extended IR.
I've just ordered one..can't wait

vexter0944

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys - thanks for the quick and easy recommendations - I'll start putting some cash aside soon to get this setup now that I know what my budget should be. Appreciate the help!

vexter0944

n3wb
Reaction score
A quick look on Aliexpress and a quick search on the net yields the option of the 16mm on the DS-2CD2T32-I8 but most items show a 4mm lens - how do you specify that you want the 16mm lens when you order? I've not ordered anything like this before which is why I'm asking. Thanks for any help!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
When you place your order - there is a 'message to the seller' facility.
Plus you can also message the seller with an enquiry from the product description page prior to placing an order. No guarantees of a response though ...

vexter0944

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds good - just wanted to make sure there wasn't a 'model' with a 16mm lens that I needed the number for or something, so I'll have to let the seller know before ordering what I want. I think I'll hold out for a seller who responds :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds good - just wanted to make sure there wasn't a 'model' with a 16mm lens that I needed the number for or something, so I'll have to let the seller know before ordering what I want. I think I'll hold out for a seller who responds :)
You may not need a long lens at all. It seems that anyone coming down the driveway would have to drive all the way down to gain access to your home, so why not just install a 4mm camera and capture them when they get closer...

vexter0944

n3wb
Reaction score
You're right in that aspect - the only access ot the home (unless you want to do a lot of walking in the woods - LOL) is the driveway. So 1 2.8 and 1 4mm - is there a reason to go turret dome over the bullets in this case?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You're right in that aspect - the only access ot the home (unless you want to do a lot of walking in the woods - LOL) is the driveway. So 1 2.8 and 1 4mm - is there a reason to go turret dome over the bullets in this case?
Bullets are easier to aim but not aesthetically pleasing - they are also easy to knock around with a stick.
Turrets are more vandal resistan, look better, and have better EXIR - ir led.
The domes are the most vandal resistant and are available with an sd card slot and alarm and audio connections (you need your own mic and speaker) IF you order the correct model...the 2132F-IS has these functions while the 2132 with no F or IS designation is a simple dome with no added functions...note that domes have to be properly mounted and installed so as to avoid IR reflection (foggy image at night)

vexter0944

n3wb
Reaction score
Bullets are easier to aim but not aesthetically pleasing - they are also easy to knock around with a stick.
Turrets are more vandal resistan, look better, and have better EXIR - ir led.
The domes are the most vandal resistant and are available with an sd card slot and alarm and audio connections (you need your own mic and speaker) IF you order the correct model...the 2132F-IS has these functions while the 2132 with no F or IS designation is a simple dome with no added functions...note that domes have to be properly mounted and installed so as to avoid IR reflection (foggy image at night)
So for a newbie like me (in terms of new with security ip cameras...) but an extensive IT background (almost 15 years in IT) - would I want to avoid the dome due to harder installation or should I generally be ok? I've done car audio, built my own computers, wired houses with cat 5 etc...just don't want to get something I will not be able to install correctly is all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So for a newbie like me (in terms of new with security ip cameras...) but an extensive IT background (almost 15 years in IT) - would I want to avoid the dome due to harder installation or should I generally be ok? I've done car audio, built my own computers, wired houses with cat 5 etc...just don't want to get something I will not be able to install correctly is all.
You will be fine with either ....I would go with a turret because of the better IR unless i needed/wanted SD card, alarm or audio inputs...
Also note the cheaper 2132 is only two axis and cannot be wall mounted (without a large mount)...the 2132F and 2132F-IS are 3-axis.

Post 10 by milkisbad has a pdf on how to avoid ir reflection
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/hikvision/1177-hikvision-foggy.html?highlight=foggy

vexter0944

n3wb
Reaction score
fenderman - that's the kind of info I need as a newbie ;) Let me lookup the models you suggested and then see if I have more questions - LOL - thanks again for the help!

Hawko777

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Mate
Try this website. Uses google earth to zoom in on your home and you can add camera's with varying focal lengths and megapixels and it will display how much coverage you will get and show a pic off to the side just how much focus you get.
http://ipvm.com/calculator