Need to upgrade / change existing setup, advice?

Reaction score
Have 2 POE cameras, need some help on 'expanding'

This might be a bit long but I want to get the details in for best recommendation.

In the past places I've rented from I've had sort of weird setup, which considering our most recent move into a different place I'd like to change up to something more user-friendly.

I currently have:
* 2x Trendnet TV-IP311PI cameras POE
* Proxim AE 6 Port 3af DC Injector (will be dumped, as it's just about dead) *
* Dual Dyconn Enclosure with 2x (2000gb) HDD / USB 3.0
* TM-AC1900 router flashed with Merlin.
* DCS-960L camera for indoor monitoring (crap camera, will be repurposed to a less important room)

**The way the system was setup in the past:**
Trendnet Cameras connected via POE to injector to switch to router.
Dyconn enclosure to router for storage with separate volumes for the two cameras.
DDNS setup for remote viewing of individual cameras.
(Which from what I've heard is not exactly best practice)

The problem I had was that I had no easy way to view the footage. I had to login into individual cameras and review footage, couldn't do much remotely.

**What I'm looking to do and what I've looked at**

Get at least 2 more cameras which would serve as indoor monitoring (primarily for pet monitoring so they don't make a mess, 2 way audio would be nice for at least 1 cam)

Considering it's a rental and I'm not exactly looking to get top of the line setup as if it was my house,
-- Arlo out, tried it to see what the hype is about. Definitely doesn't meet my needs

-- I also eyeballed the 460$ reolink with 4 Poe cameras. Already has NVR, software and easy solution for viewing and playback. It seems like I might also get lucky enough to be able to connect my existing cameras.

-- lastly I also looked into blue Iris, I do have a gaming laptop that's out of commission that has good enough specs but the general power consumption compared to an NVR bugs me a bit. That would also require finding decent enough cameras, Poe switch and software. Once I add all that together I'm reaching reolink NVR package price range.

Constant recording isn't that crazy important since I don't need to record trees standing still but I do not want to miss anything important because camera didn't kick on quick enough whether it be pets or something else

Again, I'm renting so i don't want to go too crazy spending as I normally would for a proper system.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have 2 POE cameras, need some help on 'expanding'

This might be a bit long but I want to get the details in for best recommendation.

In the past places I've rented from I've had sort of weird setup, which considering our most recent move into a different place I'd like to change up to something more user-friendly.

I currently have:
* 2x Trendnet TV-IP311PI cameras POE
* Proxim AE 6 Port 3af DC Injector (will be dumped, as it's just about dead) *
* Dual Dyconn Enclosure with 2x (2000gb) HDD / USB 3.0
* TM-AC1900 router flashed with Merlin.
* DCS-960L camera for indoor monitoring (crap camera, will be repurposed to a less important room)

**The way the system was setup in the past:**
Trendnet Cameras connected via POE to injector to switch to router.
Dyconn enclosure to router for storage with separate volumes for the two cameras.
DDNS setup for remote viewing of individual cameras.
(Which from what I've heard is not exactly best practice)

The problem I had was that I had no easy way to view the footage. I had to login into individual cameras and review footage, couldn't do much remotely.

**What I'm looking to do and what I've looked at**

Get at least 2 more cameras which would serve as indoor monitoring (primarily for pet monitoring so they don't make a mess, 2 way audio would be nice for at least 1 cam)

Considering it's a rental and I'm not exactly looking to get top of the line setup as if it was my house,
-- I've toyed with the idea of getting Arlo 2 Pack for our needs with hopes it'll survive long enough until we're in a place of our own. The only thing that bothers me is motion only rather than continuous. I'm not so sure I'll be able to catch everything I need to if they do something they shouldn't have.

-- I also eyeballed the 460$ reolink with 4 Poe cameras. Already has NVR, software and easy solution for viewing and playback. It seems like I might also get lucky enough to be able to connect my existing cameras.

-- lastly I also looked into blue Iris, I do have a gaming laptop that's out of commission that has good enough specs but the general power consumption compared to an NVR bugs me a bit. That would also require finding decent enough cameras, Poe switch and software. Once I add all that together I'm reaching reolink NVR package price range.

Constant recording isn't that crazy important since I don't need to record trees standing still but I do not want to miss anything important because camera didn't kick on quick enough whether it be pets or something else

Again, I'm renting so i don't want to go too crazy spending as I normally would for a proper system.

Any ideas?
reolink is a garbage scamming company with fake amazon reviews.
you can buy a pc to run blue iris for 100 dollars ....i5-3570 hp 8300 with w10 pro. For under 200 you can get an i5-6500 based system. see wiki..these use 25-50w
you can buy dahua starlight turrets for 100 each...
arlo will miss events and is a joke

Reaction score
Really?
I've seen some decent videos on reolink that make it seem like a good choice for a less pricey option.

Arlo I believe would not be permanent solution for me as I'm not so sure it would work long term.

Where are you finding the turrets for 100 bucks? I saw the links in the wiki but not finding it for that price.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Really?
I've seen some decent videos on reolink that make it seem like a good choice for a less pricey option.

Arlo I believe would not be permanent solution for me as I'm not so sure it would work long term.

Where are you finding the turrets for 100 bucks? I saw the links in the wiki but not finding it for that price.
yes really...
search...100 slow shipping...
reolink is garbage...

Reaction score
Interesting.

Need to figure out where to put what.

I'm not sure if the 100$ one you were referring to was the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS but it seems to fit the bill, although I'm not so certain about how well it would do indoors.