Need your suggestions ...

Moranfabri

n3wb
Reaction score
Helo there ..

i am a new member and need your suggestions for my first project for cameras installation . Still learning ...

We have a new building for the company i work at. the building contains 6 floors , every single floor must has 4 to 6 ip camera . All cables of the cameras in each floor must go to the out of the building to the first floor where the survillance room is located .because there is no place to do the cabling except that way . It's an old building.

1- in my case ,which is better to use , POE switch(more expensive) or non POE switch and why ?

2 - do i have to put a switch in every floor or it can be reduced to 3 ?

i belive that ideas sharing will avoid me to spend alot of money.

Thanks ,and sorry for my english

Last edited:

Moranfabri

n3wb
Reaction score
Tha
If you use one POE switch per floor, you would have less cables that would have to go outside.
thanks bro for your reply .
I know that one main cable from each floor will go outside ,but what challenges i will face if i used non poe instead ? as long as they both will give me the same result .except power feeding ..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Using adapters for each one . Power soruce is there .
Welcome Moranfabri,

For the security cameras:

I would run 1 PoE switch on each floor, and run at least 2 cables from ground floor to each floor. I always like to run 1 extra cable or more just in case of issues.
Use conduit to protect the wires.

Also remember to plan other wiring for networking now also.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd go POE. The cost is probably better than buying a name brand 12v power supply for each camera, you don't need to extend the 12v power source to each camera (time, complication, and extra money for extension cords), and you reduce the tampering/accident potential. Ever have someone unplug something from a wall outlet to run something else? Happens all the time.

Moranfabri

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you guys all for helping me .
I will go ahead with your recomendations .as they say "ask the experts"