Neighbor "i didn't break your window"

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My truck was sitting in my driveway with no broken window. Neighbor cuts grass now my window is broken. Neighbor us always blowing grass all over my truck and blocks the rock guard up. Asked him to come look at my broke window "no way it was me I didn't hit anything"....cuts grass at like 1".... I'm like ok I'll check my cameras and let you know. What do you guys think? Pretty sure it was him . Excuse the video quality I edited it at 200% to put focus on the truck.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Without a direct view it's hard to say, but more than likely his mower fired something that hit the window without any doubt to me. Maybe a couple of cameras on either side of the driveway would have helped.
Lol there's no doubt. His mower with stone guard up hit something (audio verified) while aimed at my truck and you can visibly see the glass break at the same time. There's zero doubt here. Im going to be having a discussion with him because if a rock hits somebody including one of my kids its going to be very bad. Rock guards are on there for a reason. One of my friends I showed this to knows a family that's child lost an eye from exactly this. Family sued and got 250k and that was in 1996. Not that you can put a value on an eye though.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can clearly see the window shatter as he comes by. Unless it was one of those weird hot/cold breakage phenomena happening, I'd say he mower threw something out and busted it.

And it looks like he has the debris guard up so that he doesn't clump his yard up cutting it that low?

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can clearly see the window shatter as he comes by. Unless it was one of those weird hot/cold breakage phenomena happening, I'd say he mower threw something out and busted it.

And it looks like he has the debris guard up so that he doesn't clump his yard up cutting it that low?
Yea. Guard locked up. And its been hovering around 70 degrees around here so no hot cold thing. You can hear the blades hit and the impact on the glass

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found a used window for $50. I'm not dealing with any legalities. I'm just going to have a conversation with him and ask him to be more careful and put the rock guard down. I just thought the video was amusing. People just so oblivious to their actions and their effect on other people.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, he did it. Tying up the deflector is irresponsible.
Those zero turns have very high RPM blades, anything shoots out of them like a bullet.
I've had siding damaged from my idiot neighbor tying up his.
I'd be having words with him, every single time he blows crap on your truck.
Sounds like you may need to turn off the audio noise filter in that cams web interface.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found a used window for $50. I'm not dealing with any legalities. I'm just going to have a conversation with him and ask him to be more careful and put the rock guard down. I just thought the video was amusing. People just so oblivious to their actions and their effect on other people.

No legality's needed. Ask him for his homeowners insurance info, turn it in to them.
You shouldn't have to deal with fixing the window due to his negligence.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep, he did it. Tying up the deflector is irresponsible.
Those zero turns have very high RPM blades, anything shoots out of them like a bullet.
I've had siding damaged from my idiot neighbor tying up his.
I'd be having words with him, every single time he blows crap on your truck.
Sounds like you may need to turn off the audio noise filter in that cams web interface.
Yea honestly I was surprised how dull the impact on the glass sounded. I kind of assumed it was just because the glass was on the opposite side of the truck from the camera and the mower noise drowns it out. But now that you mention it I probably could tweak the audio. Ive never really messed with audio settings and just let it set to basically auto gain or something. It picks up conversations anywhere in my driveway just fine.

Reaction score
Did you find what hit the window?

I had a similar issue several years ago. But it was my own lawn crew. They hit a rock from the edge of the garden which are there for drainage. It broke the nice round river rock in half an shot it into the front door window. Shattered the first plate of a three plate window. I was out of country and my daughter was house sitting. Said it sounded like a gun shot. She found the half-rock and showed it to them. They paid for the repair.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you find what hit the window?

I had a similar issue several years ago. But it was my own lawn crew. They hit a rock from the edge of the garden which are there for drainage. It broke the nice round river rock in half an shot it into the front door window. Shattered the first plate of a three plate window. I was out of country and my daughter was house sitting. Said it sounded like a gun shot. She found the half-rock and showed it to them. They paid for the repair.
There was a rock laying in the pile of broken glass. Impossible to prove that "the" rock. Havent vacuumed the truck out yet its full of glass too. Could even be in the truck not sure.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Absolutely no doubt the broken window came from the mower firing a rock / debris into the vehicles window. As others noted you shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for anything.

Get the persons home owner insurance details and let them figure it out. A police report should absolutely be filed to affirm the date, time, and specifics of this incident. Insurance companies go through all of these basic details and this is just one element besides the video evidence.

Make a copy that is tested to be viewable on any standard player. Don’t want to find out the video is encoded with some kind of junk proprietary standard.

Since it’s already loaded to YouTube simply relay the link to both the insurance and police.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Fences .. make neighbors better .. ;)
Our property deeds actually have deed restrictions saying no fences. But the corporation that was able to enforce it is long gone and some people on the road with the same deed have privacy fences. I may just put one up length of my driveway where cars are regularly parked.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OP needs more cameras
Really? Explain please lol. I own 6 feet of grass on the other side of that truck. Id love to know how you'd have gotten any more useful video than that. Mower, operator, deflector up, audio, and visible glass break all in frame. Jeez

P.S. I have more than 1 camera with view of the truck but this one showed the glass best.

mindtrix

n3wb
Reaction score
Funny story or not about mow day... My friend and I used to go walk down the local rail road tracks and pick up the old rail spikes we would find laying there (I was about 8 yrs or so old). I Don't know why we did this, it was just cool I guess at the time. To make a short story long, my father had just purchased a brand new push mower. My sister was mowing on it's maiden voyage, when I witnessed the entire side of the deck get blown out, by something. I knew what it was immediately. Moral of the story a few rail road spikes in your neighbors yard could be fun... lol

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I think if you want to stay with the current setup, might be better to ensure two cameras are overlapping and they are using the varifocal system so that you can get as much detail in the frame as possible. A camera on the left corner (overlapping with the right camera) may have been able to capture when the rock went airborne. If you had another mounting spot further right from the right corner camera may have been able to get a better visual of the impact :)

Really? Explain please lol. I own 6 feet of grass on the other side of that truck. Id love to know how you'd have gotten any more useful video than that. Mower, operator, deflector up, audio, and visible glass break all in frame. Jeez

P.S. I have more than 1 camera with view of the truck but this one showed the glass best.