Nest cam stop working in BI

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
agreed however i don't have the ability to hard wire Ethernet cables to the camera and only wifi unfortunately. I was going to get the 3mp or 4mp wireless amcrest outdoor camera eventually
1) you dont have to do it yourself...hire someone...for the price of the nest you could have a great dahua starlight and pay for it to be hardwired.
2) amcrest simply rebrands dahua, but does not offer the great low light starlights...even if you wanted wifi (bad idea) any camera can be made wifi with a cheap bridge, in fact it would be better as the bridge would be inside...

goldriver

n3wb
Reaction score
there are much better cams at that price point....
Hi Fenderman

you seem to know a lot from cameras, I'm a beginner, I returned the Nest this morning now I'm looking for replacements for them. I'm not on a large budget and I'm looking for an outdoor cam with night vision, view angle of at least 110 degrees, IP67 preferably wifi but could go with POE, what would you suggest ?

dekgozinia

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 Amcrest cameras and 1 Nest. For the $70 price tag on the Amcrest, they are PTZ and work better than than Nest at a fraction of the cost. I've had these 3 for ~1 yr now.
The Amcrest seems to have a better picture than the Nest despite quality turned up.
Amcrest link on Amazon: 2MP Amcrest Indoor PTZ
This is what I currently have, but plan on going with the more expensive version with better video quality as replacement for the Nest. (still cheaper than Nest)
This one: 4MP Amcrest outdoor wifi non PTZ

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Dephtones

n3wb
Reaction score
so heres the real question. if i were to call nest support and complain that they did something with rtmps what will their response be ?
does it say anywhere on nest terms that its not allowed or just not supported ?

Also how come BI doesnt allow for https to work and only rtmps ? I'm not familiar with this so im just curious
They will tell you that they aren't aware of any changes blah blah blah. I got all the way to tier 3 yesterday. They don't give a s**t. They tried to offer me a month free of Nest Aware. I was nice to the guy, but was like...ya that doesn't help me. I guess I'll sell them and get something else.

Dephtones

n3wb
Reaction score
By the way folks....if you are dead set on Nest because you're already invested and you want to have some way of recording them; Take a look at iSpyconnect.com It's open source and has a VLC plugin.

If you look in the developer console of your Nest cam publicly shared camera, you'll find the m3u8 playlist links which can be directly pasted into VLC as a network stream. iSpy has a plugin that will allow you to use those links to record cameras. It supports motion detection, remote viewing in the cloud, alerts, notifications etc. I can post a quick guide on how to enable your cameras using iSpy without the need for an RTMPS link.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way folks....if you are dead set on Nest because you're already invested and you want to have some way of recording them; Take a look at iSpyconnect.com It's open source and has a VLC plugin.

If you look in the developer console of your Nest cam publicly shared camera, you'll find the m3u8 playlist links which can be directly pasted into VLC as a network stream. iSpy has a plugin that will allow you to use those links to record cameras. It supports motion detection, remote viewing in the cloud, alerts, notifications etc. I can post a quick guide on how to enable your cameras using iSpy without the need for an RTMPS link.
you can sell the nest cameras for good money...the cameras are not an investment...ispy charges are perpetual monthly fee for remote viewing and limited alerts...it is also nowhere near as functional as BI....ebay has been around for years, use it...

batch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
apparently there is some outage or known issue with public sharing however. not holding my breath but we will see what happens. Im looking to get real cameras soon anyways.

Dephtones

n3wb
Reaction score
you can sell the nest cameras for good money...the cameras are not an investment...ispy charges are perpetual monthly fee for remote viewing and limited alerts...it is also nowhere near as functional as BI....ebay has been around for years, use it...
So the purpose of a forum is to help people, not gripe about a particular camera brand cause you don't like it. The fact of the matter is that iSpy does have a ton of functionality. It actually allows you to just plug in the public sharing URL and configures nest automatically. Oh...and it's totally free and integrates with IFTTT. It's a great solution if you want to continue using Nest cameras that you already own.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman

you seem to know a lot from cameras, I'm a beginner, I returned the Nest this morning now I'm looking for replacements for them. I'm not on a large budget and I'm looking for an outdoor cam with night vision, view angle of at least 110 degrees, IP67 preferably wifi but could go with POE, what would you suggest ?
Stay far away from any cloud based anything.
Buy real cameras.
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/3721

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So the purpose of a forum is to help people, not gripe about a particular camera brand cause you don't like it. The fact of the matter is that iSpy does have a ton of functionality. It actually allows you to just plug in the public sharing URL and configures nest automatically. Oh...and it's totally free and integrates with IFTTT. It's a great solution if you want to continue using Nest cameras that you already own.
The purpose of this forum is in fact to gripe about crap cameras. This way folks dont make the mistake of buying them and/or keeping them...
Nest is a terrible camera and it is foolish to upload and download the stream 24/7....the smart move is to sell them...
ispy is NOT "totally free". Please dont lie to my face. Pricing for remote access and webservices
It simply makes zero sense to keep a nest camera, when you can sell it and install a much better dahua starlight for the same money...

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman

I'm not Fenderman but I'll give you my 2cents worth. Go dahua. The cheap dahuas are the 4431c and 4433c both are poe and can be made wireless with a cheap wifi dongle. They are 110 degrees and work great in low light. Get a starlight if you want even better low light performance. You wont be disappointed.

batch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i still need 2 extra cameras and im trying to now figure our what exactly to purchase to make some good dahua go wireless

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i still need 2 extra cameras and im trying to now figure our what exactly to purchase to make some good dahua go wireless
is there a reason cable cannot be run to the camera?

batch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
well it could possibly be run however i have my router in the laundry room and the cameras are on the opposite side of the house. i could potentially run a good 100 foot cable to each camera and tuck it into my siding and then drill through the walls but that would be a mess. My old house was completely wired and it was rather easy as all of the cables went into the garage and then from there dropped into my basement into a geovision dvr card.
this house is a tri-level and its a cluster to even pull network cables without them looking wonky on the outside.

Then again im no pro installer but wifi would be preferred for me in case i want to move things around. no clue how much an installer costs but at this time the funds are not there as were still remodeling

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
well it could possibly be run however i have my router in the laundry room and the cameras are on the opposite side of the house. i could potentially run a good 100 foot cable to each camera and tuck it into my siding and then drill through the walls but that would be a mess. My old house was completely wired and it was rather easy as all of the cables went into the garage and then from there dropped into my basement into a geovision dvr card.
this house is a tri-level and its a cluster to even pull network cables without them looking wonky on the outside.

Then again im no pro installer but wifi would be preferred for me in case i want to move things around. no clue how much an installer costs but at this time the funds are not there as were still remodeling
hire someone to do it...it will be nice and neat...the 100 dollars or so would be well worth it...if you insist on wireless, you will need a wifi bridge...if you have an old router many can be put in bridge mode....also look at powerline adapters.

batch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
well for $100 id hire someone, i assumed it would cost a good $300 or so. ill look around for sure.
The decision now would be if i should do dome or bullet and if 3 or 4MP is worth it

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
well for $100 id hire someone, i assumed it would cost a good $300 or so. ill look around for sure.
The decision now would be if i should do dome or bullet and if 3 or 4MP is worth it
neither..look for a turret design...look at the dahua starlight fixed turret at about 100 (Slow shipping 125 fast) or the varifocal starlight turret for 170 (fast dhl shipping)...its 2mp...the 3mp and 4mp standard cams will not produce a good night/low light image.