Nest Camera Captures Murder

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At the rate we are going...watch his attorney say something like he was not made aware that he was going to be video and audio taped, so the video is tossed out in court...
I can see the Attorney claiming all sorts of stuff...

I can see the Judge saying, it is in the public ( the video ) and that is allowed... and that the gunshots will also be allowed as the neighbors can hear that.. so there is no expectation of privacy.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
OMG....I hope that POS dies a very slow, agonizing, horrible and painful death. Then burns in hell. I am so sorry for the woman and especially the little girl. WTF could she have done to justify this and to make him so angry? Nothing, that's what.
It's a cold blooded murder not a spur of the moment loss of control, The guy's driven deliberately to her house to shoot her. I'd hazard a guess there's either some element of infedilitly or suspected infedelity from someone who's paranoid, or there's some kind of break up going on. Just guesses though.

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don’t see how that would help unless she carried a gun with her all the time?
Which is allowed in some US States.. see the topic of Concealed carry, or carrying a concealed weapon (CCW)

iirc that sort of thing used to be allowed in the UK... looks like those rights started to be restricted during the Anglo-Irish War when the Firearms act of 1920 was passed...

Reaction score
Even if she had had a gun I don’t think she had time to react.
No. She had time to run. She had time to draw and fire.

The English Bill of Rights (1689) was a 'right to arms guarantee' which has been castrated over the years, but was very influential to the framers of the US Bill Of Rights (The 2nd amendment giving every citizen the right to keep and bear arms). So way back when, there was not much difference in opinion. Technically, self-defense is still legal in Britain, but in practice, any act of self-defense is subject to a prosecutor’s second-guessing of what is “reasonable.” For example, Brett Osborn is serving a 5-year sentence for manslaughter. In order to protect a friend, “He stabbed a blood-covered, drug-crazed intruder…”. His prosecution stemmed from the fact that he failed to warn the criminal that he had access to a knife.

Reaction score
Probably cartel stuff if I had to guess. Looked like a hit to me vs a angry boyfriend but just my .02

Disregard my arrogance, I just watched video and didnt read the headline with it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No. She had time to run. She had time to draw and fire.

The English Bill of Rights (1689) was a 'right to arms guarantee' which has been castrated over the years, but was very influential to the framers of the US Bill Of Rights (The 2nd amendment giving every citizen the right to keep and bear arms). So way back when, there was not much difference in opinion. Technically, self-defense is still legal in Britain, but in practice, any act of self-defense is subject to a prosecutor’s second-guessing of what is “reasonable.” For example, Brett Osborn is serving a 5-year sentence for manslaughter. In order to protect a friend, “He stabbed a blood-covered, drug-crazed intruder…”. His prosecution stemmed from the fact that he failed to warn the criminal that he had access to a knife.
And this was why I posted what I did in post #3: "At the rate we are going...watch his attorney say something like he was not made aware that he was going to be video and audio taped, so the video is tossed out in court... " I guess we will never know now since he killed himself, but I could see that happening. Crazier things have happened.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are multiple facets to self defense. Not all of them involve a gun.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is absolutely sad to see this happen. My guess is that she was in a relationship with a crazed man.

What I don't understand is why people continue to get involved with someone who'd be willing to kill you if things don't turn out the way they want.

Usually, many of the signs are there in the beginning of the relationship. Both males and females give themselves away early on. Even those who are unusually nice are suspect to me. Of course the macho man or diva princess is suspect to me also.

P.S., The video has now been marked as "age-restricted".

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - time to draw a weapon from on body holster = 1.5-2 seconds if you've practiced.

ref:

Paul Hacker

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Situational awareness and yes, carry a gun at all times. That pos, just ruin a lot of lives, because he didn’t have control over his emotions.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If you go through the video slowly and pauise it, you can see she has time to reach the front door of the house before he even makes it onto the drive from the sidewalk. There were 3 cars she could have taken a defensive position behind - the 1 she got out of, the saloon to the right and the one by the front door. Probably she wouldn't have wanted to use the one she got out of for risk of putting her daughter in the firing line. Reviewing the video the best one to me looks like the car by the door, dodging behind the rear, drawing unseen from cover, watching underneath and ambushing him from a kneeled position as he's in the open as he runs between the one she got out of and the saloon. Yes the rear of the car doesn't provide the best protection. However, he's in the open in a pinch point between the other 2 vehicles as he approaches and if he doesn't see her draw as she draws from concealment, he probably won't take the route around the saloon to the right nor will he expect a fight so will be unlikely to be pre-aiming or in a ready position. He'll most likely run flat out as seen with the intention of running around the rear, bringing the gun up then and firing.

The other option would be to not let him get onto the drive at all and if she already knew his intentions, which it appears she did as she ran straight away, fire from behind the car she got out of before he even made it out of his. As the drivers side is on the nearside in the US, she had him sat and exposed in the drivers seat with no where to move easily to, or if already getting out, totally exposed. The rear wheel area does provide better cover than the boot allowing fire from a crouched position without exposing yourself too much. There is one other option from here and that would be given it's an suv to drop to the ground and fire from a prone position under the vehicle from behind the wheel arch into the drivers door as someone prone behind a vehicle wheel will present a very small hard to hit target and prone is a very stable firing position leading to high accuracy if trained. However, I bet my US friends are screaming "no" at me here because the issue with going prone is it prevents any movement and should you fail to stop him, leaves you a sitting duck. Getting up from prone is a slow and difficult manouvre, and if he manages to run up on you, is likely to be fatal.

The lessons here as I see them are if it's legal, consider carrying, more so if you know there is a actual threat as appears here. Know how to use your firearm, how to draw and use cover, and choose a calibre of gun that has good stopping power, a high capacity magazine and one you can handle. The only problem here is the case of Harold Fish, although I believe it was overturned eventually. However, my choice on calibres is 10mm or 7.5fk, although the latter is very little known (Bruno psd). .357 magnum is also a great choice for stopping power, but unfortunately being a revolver calibre, is somewhat limited due to low gun capacities of revolvers. However, it offers little over 10mm which is now increasingly popular unlike when Harold Fish was prosecuted.

BTW TeaLeaf don't be fooled by the movies and think she could hide behind a door. Even a 9mm will go right through a car ie in one door through the interior and out the other door. The only safe place is behind the engine block or the centre of a wheel.

QWgQevfDfcA64W8
Brett Osborn
Tony Martin and others.

There's a long list of people jailed for self defence although there are some arguments over whether the threat was over in TM's case as from memory he shot the burglar in the back. Sampenhold is quite right, no-one knows what reasonable force is. It's a vapour principle decided by the judge on the day and given that criminals have more rights than law obiding citizens in the UK, you risk being jailed for using any force, even a punch in defending yourself.

Last edited: