Nest Camera Setup

DavidD

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum.

I've had BI running for a while, but still have a few problems. The most annoying one is my Nest camera setup.

I have the Nest camera connected, and it's working fine, except I'm only getting an image about every 4 seconds. I think I'm configured to do a JPEG grab. Is there a way to stream instead? Or to grab the images faster?

Thanks for any help,
David

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum.

I've had BI running for a while, but still have a few problems. The most annoying one is my Nest camera setup.

I have the Nest camera connected, and it's working fine, except I'm only getting an image about every 4 seconds. I think I'm configured to do a JPEG grab. Is there a way to stream instead? Or to grab the images faster?

Thanks for any help,
David
are you sure its not just your settings? are you logging in via windows remote desktop?
you are best off selling the nest and buying a proper ip camera ...

DavidD

n3wb
Reaction score
I already have the camera, I need to use it until I can replace it. I've already had two die, so I don't expect it to last more than a couple of years. In the mean time, it produces a nice, crisp, wide angle picture. I just want to stop paying the $10/mo for it if I can get it to work with Blue Iris.

I agree, I have settings wrong, but that's what I'm asking for help on. No, I'm not using remote desktop. I need someone who has a Nest camera working to help me out with settings.

David

DavidD

n3wb
Reaction score
I should add....this camera is at my mountain home and is there more for monitoring than anything. At my house, and used for security, I have a Q-See WiFi camera that I've replaced the lens with a wider angle lens. I have it pretty much set up like I need it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I already have the camera, I need to use it until I can replace it. I've already had two die, so I don't expect it to last more than a couple of years. In the mean time, it produces a nice, crisp, wide angle picture. I just want to stop paying the $10/mo for it if I can get it to work with Blue Iris.

I agree, I have settings wrong, but that's what I'm asking for help on. No, I'm not using remote desktop. I need someone who has a Nest camera working to help me out with settings.

David
you can sell it on ebay...
wide angle is not always good..it depends on what you are trying to capture....often times its too wide to get detail
there are several threads discussing nest cameras and settings.
wifi in general should be avoided as well..

DavidD

n3wb
Reaction score
I have searched for threads on nest cameras and settings and haven't been able to pin any down. That's why I created a new thread.

The Q-See can also be wired if I ever run a cable to it.

For my current use, I need the wider angle or another camera. I agree that I'm not getting the detail I might need if I have to identify anyone. This first setup is basically proof of concept and I'll add cameras as I can. In the mean time I've learned a lot about security camera lenses.

I also have two security cameras that interface with the security system only. I'd like to eventually add them to BI, but at a minimum, need to get the login/pw info for them before I can even start.

David

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have searched for threads on nest cameras and settings and haven't been able to pin any down. That's why I created a new thread.

The Q-See can also be wired if I ever run a cable to it.

For my current use, I need the wider angle or another camera. I agree that I'm not getting the detail I might need if I have to identify anyone. This first setup is basically proof of concept and I'll add cameras as I can. In the mean time I've learned a lot about security camera lenses.

I also have two security cameras that interface with the security system only. I'd like to eventually add them to BI, but at a minimum, need to get the login/pw info for them before I can even start.

David
cameras that interface with security systems generally will not stream to third party apps.

DavidD

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm afraid that is the case, but if I can get the credentials, I'll at least try. The make/model is on the supported camera list.

DavidD

n3wb
Reaction score
I've made things a bit better. I had the max rate set to 30 fps. I reset it to be 1 fps, and I'm now getting a frame every second or so. I see no where to set an actual sample rate.

I have a URL for streaming that works in a browser, but still can't get it to work in BI. I tried all of the streaming types and get various errors on each.

David

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've made things a bit better. I had the max rate set to 30 fps. I reset it to be 1 fps, and I'm now getting a frame every second or so. I see no where to set an actual sample rate.

I have a URL for streaming that works in a browser, but still can't get it to work in BI. I tried all of the streaming types and get various errors on each.

David
Hey, @DavidD, @George in Sacramento just posted this that might help you, ==>> here <<--.

DavidD

n3wb
Reaction score
This is what I was looking for!!!! Thanks for pointing me to that post. The solution works well.