Nest doorbell software equivalent for ip cam

pr1970

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a nest doorbell and also a couple of dahua ip cameras. I find the nest is such a pleasure to use , being able to scroll through the recording instantly, compared to the ip camera that I seem to give up as it is so slow reading off the sd card.
Is there anything equivalent to Nest software for ip cameras with similar speeds of viewing?

thanks

Paul

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a nest doorbell and also a couple of dahua ip cameras. I find the nest is such a pleasure to use , being able to scroll through the recording instantly, compared to the ip camera that I seem to give up as it is so slow reading off the sd card.
Is there anything equivalent to Nest software for ip cameras with similar speeds of viewing?

thanks

Paul
There are plenty. The reason why your experience is slow is because you’re using an sd card to record. Sd cards are backups. See blue iris software.

pr1970

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
but isn't blueiris something you need to run off a computer running 24/7? I was looking for some app/cloud solution like nests?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
but isn't blueiris something you need to run off a computer running 24/7? I was looking for some app/cloud solution like nests?
Yes. Computers are very cheap and moden systems are very efficient. There are cloud-based VMS but they would require you to constantly upload video It would likely be outside your price range. Cloud is for suckers sold by companies who want to guarantee a recurring monthly revenue.
More importantly a local system doesn’t rely on Internet access.

pr1970

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I do have a qnap Nas that records footage but again it's nowhere near as fast or has the convenience of using nest cloud storage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I do have a qnap Nas that records footage but again it's nowhere near as fast or has the convenience of using nest cloud storage.
If you think nest is fast, wait till you try a local vms. Also nest significantly compresses your video to send it to the cloud. That is why the image quality is a joke. You need to compare apples to apples. Drop your bitrate significantly on the dahua cameras and it will be faster via sd and qnap.

pr1970

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok will give it a go, but will it be any better than a Nas drive with survellience station?
maybe I'll try reducing the recording bandwidth and see if that helps.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok will give it a go, but will it be any better than a Nas drive with survellience station?
maybe I'll try reducing the recording bandwidth and see if that helps.
Blue iris playback is butter smooth. Provided you purchase the correct hardware, see wiki. I dont know about surveillance station, its been a while since I messed with it.