Network Noob/initialize and change camera ip

Reaction score
First post and hesitant to post. I've read many replies that say to read wiki, cliff notes, etc. and I have tried to do my due diligence. I've read and read and read to the point that the even the basic stuff that used to make sense to me is starting to get confusing. But I think that due to my lack of knowledge on the subject I can't seem to pick out what I'm looking for because I don't know enough yet. I know the answer I'm looking for is already here but I just can't filter it out.

So I'm just starting into this home security stuff and picked up a couple things and trying to bench test a couple cameras as I pick up some more gear. I have two ipc-hdw5231r-ze cameras, and one poe switch. I've got blue iris installed on my (temporary solution) laptop that's got i7-8750H cpu. I've also got the config tool installed.

My issue: I have laptop connected to the switch, the switch powered up, and one camera connected to the switch. That's it at the moment. I launch the config tool and it finds the camera. I had trouble getting it initialized and am still not really sure what I did to get it done. What I don't know now is how to find the lan ip range I have available and what to change the camera ip to. At this point the camera is still 192.168.1.108 and I can't access it from blue iris or browser.

I'm sure you guys get tired of answering noob questions all the time but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
- Open a command window on your laptop (Windows start button at bottom left of screen, type command in search box and hit enter).

- At the prompt in the window type: ipconfig

- Look for the entry for IPv4 Address.

- Change the address of the cam to match the first 3 numbers for the laptop's address. e.g., If your laptop is at 192.168.0.75 then change the cam to 192.168.0.108 (or whatever last number).

- In the command window type: ping 192.168.0.108 (or whatever).

You should see the cam respond to the pings.

Assuming that it does, then you should be good from there.

You'll need to set the camera's address outside of whatever DHCP range that you may have set up, make sure that you have unique addresses for other cams and devices, change however you want to restrict Internet access for the cam on your router, etc., but that should get you started and let you access it at least.

If your laptop already is on a 192.168.1.x address and you can't hit the cam then something else is going on but likely not.

Last edited:

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is your Poe switch connected to the rest of your network/router while you are testing?, You may not have a dhcp server active (your router). You may need to manually check and configure your laptop IP settings.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a good point. I was assuming that they had the switch hooked up to their router but not necessarily the case as it's written.

If you get a 169.254.x.x address for the laptop (the default without a DHCP to pull from), then that's the case and you DON'T want to change the camera to that same range. Connect to your router so you get a normal address. You can either run from there or if you need/want to isolate things, then temporarily change your laptop to a static IP in that same range and then change back to DHCP when done testing.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I've been able to access my first camera thanks to your contributions. Much appreciated.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
do not use ip address 192.168.1.108 for any of your cameras. Make sure your IP access is static in the camera. I have my router set to use DHCP in the range .20 to .200, so all my cameras are outside the DHCP range, for example my IP address far a camera would be 192.168.1.210. My sub net is 192.168.1.xxx