New Amcrest 4K IP8M-2493E 8 meg camera

Skinny1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anybody tried the new Amcrest 4K IP8M-2493EW 8 meg camera with Blue Iris? I am thinking about buy a couple of these camera's and was wondering how well thy work with Blue Iris.

Thanks,

Rick.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK thanks @fenderman ...So do you think that necessarily means Amcrest offerings will equate to Dahua quality or would they be mostly re-branded but lower quality product line offerings?
I recall my first security cam experience with a Qsee kit from Sam's that was total crap...then found out they were made by Dahua and equated Dahua to total crap...swore I would not touch their cameras....but after a lot of review on this forum, most of my cameras are now Dahuas and I like them. The Qsee rebranded cams I took back were definitely not anywhere near the same quality as the Dahuas recommended on this forum.
So, a long way by story of asking, in your opinion, can I assume Amcrest is good just because they are rebranded Dahua or will they mostly be crap like my re-branded Qsee experience?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK thanks @fenderman ...So do you think that necessarily means Amcrest offerings will equate to Dahua quality or would they be mostly re-branded but lower quality product line offerings?
I recall my first security cam experience with a Qsee kit from Sam's that was total crap...then found out they were made by Dahua and equated Dahua to total crap...swore I would not touch their cameras....but after a lot of review on this forum, most of my cameras are now Dahuas and I like them. The Qsee rebranded cams I took back were definitely not anywhere near the same quality as the Dahuas recommended on this forum.
So, a long way by story of asking, in your opinion, can I assume Amcrest is good just because they are rebranded Dahua or will they mostly be crap like my re-branded Qsee experience?
its made on the same line...dahua makes excellent cameras and crap cameras just like every other camera manufacture...qsee simply speced cheaper models...
Who cares if amcrest is just as good, there is no reason to buy from them...that said, they dont offer the starlights or the higher end dahua...

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
4 years ago dahua was bit poor for their quality and in the past years they grow fast, dahua do OEM for some big brand in US or other country, but now dahua brand is more powerful, so they surely won't offer their high quality products to some smaller brand. And those brand in overseas can't find a better factory to produce thier orders, so still stick to dahua. I think Same for hikvision.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
its the same ownership as the old foscam distributor out of houston foscam.us/foscam digital technologies, but amcrest has always been rebranded dahua
Their boss i met him in Foscam years ago, he is an Indian American, before Foscam just as a very small brand selling on Amazon, and that US distributor made good working for their growing in US. Later seems has some argument with the corporation. So this guy did his own brand.

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using that camera with Blue Iris right now, looks great. The only problem I have noticed is that when I view the camera via my iphone or the web viewer, the picture quality is down sampled. Does anyone know of a way to tell B.I. not to down sample any of the video via the web viewer?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm using that camera with Blue Iris right now, looks great. The only problem I have noticed is that when I view the camera via my iphone or the web viewer, the picture quality is down sampled. Does anyone know of a way to tell B.I. not to down sample any of the video via the web viewer?
you need to increase the bitrate limit for the webserver profile you are using and also increase the resolution to at least 1080p using the group settings

Reaction score
How is the night time quality? I am looking for a camera that can get clarity when car headlights are on.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How is the night time quality? I am looking for a camera that can get clarity when car headlights are on.
Has anybody tried the new Amcrest 4K IP8M-2493EW 8 meg camera with Blue Iris? I am thinking about buy a couple of these camera's and was wondering how well thy work with Blue Iris.
So which Dahua model is this?
Thanks,

Rick.
Welcome @techhobbyist, @Skinny1 ( rick ) @afddwfadwfadwf

Check out the international model of Dahua OEM starlights for low light, and for the 8mp "4K" ( "4K" as they really are a little short of "4K" specs we expect due to lower fps - example 15 fps, which is fine for most of our security camera needs )

The Amcrest model:
IP8M-2496EB

looks similar to the IPC-HFW48xx model which Andy ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) will carry. Check and see if the Amcrest model includes what dahua calls IVS features, it may not. ( Q-see has rebranded IVS as IVA in their marketing ) Also check out the IPC-HxW58xx models - varifocal which can be very useful for getting the appropriate FOV and zoom.

I didn't look closely at the actual imaging chip used in the Amcrest version - it maybe the same or another chip.

Andy will also have other form factors - note, avoid the dome for outdoors.

remember to check the wiki notes
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think the chip could make a big difference.
I see it listed for $159. What would a Dahua version cost?
4K in proper lighting should provide a really good image for zooming in on snapshots or footage I'd imagine, right?
Amcrest site did not state the dimensions. Does anyone know?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think the chip could make a big difference.
I see it listed for $159. What would a Dahua version cost?
4K in proper lighting should provide a really good image for zooming in on snapshots or footage I'd imagine, right?
Amcrest site did not state the dimensions. Does anyone know?
Hi nbstl68,

Looks like you're considering the dome model? - if so then look for IPC-HDBW48xx international Dahua OEM model in the Dahua international website and see if Andy carries it.

I would recommend instead to get a turret one, as domes have numerous issues. ( that would be a IPC-HDW48xx model ).

Amcrest's website does not give enough info on the specs - the user manual only noted that the model may not include a microSD card slot.
I suspect, like many of the "4K" cameras out there right now, that it is not fully "4K" - that is in this particular case I believe it can only handle perhaps 15 fps ( so maybe 4K for res, but not fully what we would consider 4K specs )

There are a number of ipct members who have reviewed 8mp / 4k dahua camera here - so I would recommend checking those threads out.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks I was thinking maybe the dome choice could be a good option inside instead of the Dahua 2mp mini dome I was considering for an inside ceiling mount. Just not sure how much bigger this would be than their mini but figured night image maybe would not suffer as much in closer rang indoor scenario.