New Amcrest AD410 doorbell Cam Review

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have Amcrest AD410 added to my Dauha NVR and it does shows up in my DMSS but triggers doesn't work which I am sure Amcrest omit those functions in their firmware.
Not really omitted, but modified to be SmartHome app specific. What's more important to me is do the triggers (events) work with Home Assistant, is LOCALcontrol/event handling possible, and is the API still available? My understanding from reports in this forum is that the DB6I's latest firmware has some serious limitations in this regard. It's possible Amcrest could follow suit, since after all their firmware is largely based on Dahua's. But for now, that's not the case.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Not really omitted, but modified to be SmartHome app specific. What's more important to me is do the triggers (events) work with Home Assistant, is LOCALcontrol/event handling possible, and is the API still available? My understanding from reports in this forum is that the DB6I's latest firmware has some serious limitations in this regard. It's possible Amcrest could follow suit, since after all their firmware is largely based on Dahua's. But for now, that's not the case.
A driver is being developed for Hubitat as well too.

waterside

n3wb
Reaction score
is the API still available? My understanding from reports in this forum is that the DB6I's latest firmware has some serious limitations in this regard. It's possible Amcrest could follow suit, since after all their firmware is largely based on Dahua's. But for now, that's not the case.
The Lorex thread and the EmpireTech threads for the same device both noted the latest firmware removed the API. It would not be surprising if the same does happen in a future firmware update for the AD410.

This is unfortunate but I guess it is what it is :(

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am quite concerned the upcoming AD410 firmware will also bork the API and local event processing. In fact, the latest AD110 firmware update did break local event processing, but not the API. It isn't clear if this was a developer error or was intentional.

Home Assistant users are needing to install a back-level AD110 firmware to restore doorbell press/motion detection functionality. So AD410/HA users should NOT install the new firmware when it first comes out and wait and see.

There is an alternative for the DB6I. As reported here - if the device is registered with the IMOU app, a new custom HA integration can connect to a Dahua/IMOU cloud server to process (malformed) webhook events provided HA is running behind a reverse proxy. That is not the direction I want to go with connectivity, especially those of Chinese origin.

Edit: on further review, DB6I/DB11 doorbell press and motion events are not yet possible with this new custom integration, but are in the issues queue as an enhancement request.

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I am quite concerned the upcoming AD410 firmware will also bork the API and local event processing. In fact, the latest AD110 firmware update did break local event processing, but not the API. It isn't clear if this was a developer error or was intentional.

Home Assistant users are needing to install a back-level AD110 firmware to restore doorbell press/motion detection functionality. So AD410/HA users should NOT install the new firmware when it first comes out and wait and see.

There is an alternative for the DB6I. As reported here - if the device is registered with the IMOU app, a new custom HA integration can poll a Dahua/IMOU cloud server (with limits) to process events. That is not the direction I want to go with connectivity, especially those of Chinese origin.
The "reported here" link is not working for me .. Will you double check the link

Thanks

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Curious, when you add a new device, does it give you a choice of device to add like ip cam, vto, wired cam, or nvr etc etc? Or did it give you a wizard step by step to add it?

Does DMSS pop up a notification when doorbell button is pressed?

Thanks for the information ..
Yes the doorbell will give you the screenshot as I posted below and starts ringing like a ringtone for you to answer. This all works fine, but I am pretty sure the DMSS software will not work with your device. My suggestion is to simply install the app and try it.

Attachments

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes the doorbell will give you the screenshot as I posted below and starts ringing like a ringtone for you to answer. This all works fine, but I am pretty sure the DMSS software will not work with your device. My suggestion is to simply install the app and try it.
Is that Android? On iOS, I don't get those red / green ringing screen instead I get a annoying banner that pop down from the top of the iPhone and I have to quickly hit the banner or it going to disappear then I will have to drag the notification screen down to hit the banner to answer the doorbell. Very annoying ...

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Is that Android? On iOS, I don't get those red / green ringing screen instead I get a annoying banner that pop down from the top of the iPhone and I have to quickly hit the banner or it going to disappear then I will have to drag the notification screen down to hit the banner to answer the doorbell. Very annoying ...
yes Android

shred86

n3wb
Reaction score
I noticed my firewall's IPS is dropping something coming from the AD410:

"SERVER-OTHER Squid HTTP Host Header Port Handling Denial of Service"
  • dst_ip="54.87.150.86"
  • dst_country="USA"
  • protocol="TCP"
  • src_port="51104"
  • dst_port="15100"
This appears to be an AWS server so I suspect it's just a false positive, but I'm curious if anyone else has had traffic flagged by their firewall coming from the AD410. I really wish this thing would still function while being blocked from the internet. I noticed the video stream will still work but that's about it (no notifications for doorbell rings which is all I really care about to work with Scrypted).

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've not seen that in my router's firewall logs (ASUSWRT/Merlin). Yes, Amcrest's servers are hosted on AWS.

I 'm not familiar with Scrypted but with Home Assistant using either the Amcrest or Dahua integrations, doorbell and motion events are indeed processed locally. Amcrest2Mqtt can also be used to capture events locally, but it's no longer necessary. There are even reports of success with LOCAL 2-way talk using the Go2RTC integration! That's next on my list of new things to try.

Here's a post that might be useful for exploring your options even though it's a bit out of date.

shred86

n3wb
Reaction score
I've not seen that in my router's firewall logs (ASUSWRT/Merlin). Yes, Amcrest's servers are hosted on AWS.

I 'm not familiar with Scrypted but with Home Assistant using either the Amcrest or Dahua integrations, doorbell and motion events are indeed processed locally. Amcrest2Mqtt can also be used to capture events locally, but it's no longer necessary. There are even reports of success with LOCAL 2-way talk using the Go2RTC integration! That's next on my list of new things to try.

Here's a post that might be useful for exploring your options even though it's a bit out of date.
Ah, interesting. When I first set it up, I tried blocking it from the internet but I wasn't getting any notifications. I read somewhere (I think this thread) that other folks were reporting the same so I just assumed it needed internet access for notifications to work. I just tried blocking it again from the internet and I'm still seeing motion events so those are coming through. Just need to try the doorbell press event later but I'm guessing that will work too which is great. I've read the doorbell button light will start to flash after a period of time without internet connectivity. Has anyone discovered a way to stop that from happening?

I'm running the Dahua integration for Home Assistant as well. I only use it for displaying the camera feed on some wall mounted tablets when the doorbell button is pressed. I use Scrypted for HomeKit integration. It supports HomeKit Secure Video (HSV) and two-way audio works with the Dahua AD410; it uses ONVIF for two-way audio.

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've read the doorbell button light will start to flash after a period of time without internet connectivity. Has anyone discovered a way to stop that from happening?
Actually, once Internet access is blocked, the ring light will flash continuously from the start. When the firmware is tweaked to trick the doorbell into thinking it has an online connection, the light will stop blinking - BUT - after a few days, this setting is auto reset and has to be repeated. This old post describes the configs needed. (You should ignore the "CallID" hoops he went through for doorbell press events. Rely on the "CallNoAnswered" event instead.)

I have not personally tried this, so any followup questions could best be answered in the HA forums.

atmelton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just got another AD410 today from Amazon. Same 05-2022 date but no IR glare issue!
Great news! How many returns did it take to get this one? I am still inside my return window and may try this.

shred86

n3wb
Reaction score
Great news! How many returns did it take to get this one? I am still inside my return window and may try this.
Two returns. First one had the IR glare issue but I installed it anyways (mostly because I wanted to make sure the wifi reception would be okay). Ordered a second and just set it up plugged in using the microUSB to see if it had the issue, which it did, so I returned that one. Ordered a third one and it did not have the issue, so I just swapped it out with the one I had already installed and returned the original one. All three had the 05-2022 date.

Edit: FYI, it’s 20% off on Amazon right now as well. It’s one of those coupons you have to click to add.

Last edited:

shred86

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually, once Internet access is blocked, the ring light will flash continuously from the start. When the firmware is tweaked to trick the doorbell into thinking it has an online connection, the light will stop blinking - BUT - after a few days, this setting is auto reset and has to be repeated. This old post describes the configs needed. (You should ignore the "CallID" hoops he went through for doorbell press events. Rely on the "CallNoAnswered" event instead.)

I have not personally tried this, so any followup questions could best be answered in the HA forums.
Thanks for the link! Just followed most of the steps in that post and everything seems to be working great. AD410 is fully blocked from the internet, NTP server is pointed at a local NTP server and a Home Assistant automation that keeps the ring light from flashing. Now I just use HomeKit to access the doorbell camera feed and receive notifications.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently have an AD110 and would like to eventually upgrade to the 410.
My 110 was basically just plug and play with BI on a PC, is this not the case for the 410?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
This will work on DMSS if you set it up as VTO I haven’t test it full yet but I am able to tap Door icon and it’ll open it up or if button is pressed then it’ll alert and you can click on banner to connect to it but I haven’t gotten a hearing person to test the speakers on it.

We have it working on my Hubitat home automation hub where it will detect button press and human detection events. I believe the developer will release the driver for it soon.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

There is an alternative for the DB6I. As reported here - if the device is registered with the IMOU app, a new custom HA integration can connect to a Dahua/IMOU cloud server to process (malformed) webhook events provided HA is running behind a reverse proxy. That is not the direction I want to go with connectivity, especially those of Chinese origin.

Edit: on further review, DB6I/DB11 doorbell press and motion events are not yet possible with this new custom integration, but are in the issues queue as an enhancement request.

I don’t know if you have seen this post yet. This post was from someone supposedly from Amcrest stating it was an developer error and will be fixed soon.