New Amcrest AD410 doorbell Cam Review

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know this is probably somewhere in the thread, but how do we find the manufacturing date?
There's a date printed on the box. BTW- what firmware version is shipping with these new RMA units?

trepping

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW, The page isn't actually blank. It looks like a potentially functional page but it attempts to load a couple of files (merge.js and a merge.css) that it can't find. I haven't found a way around that... yet. ;)
Same "challenge" with the db61i. Reached out to imou customer support but they're saying the web interface is not supported. Any ideas how this can be worked around?

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is no known way to enable the web UI and it's very unlikely there can be. You can manipulate the configuration via the HTTP API and other software (DMSS, ipconfigtool, NVR). Using software other than that written for the doorbell (SmartHome for the ADxxx) can sometimes cause unwanted side effects, particularly with video settings - requiring a factory default refresh.

kocokoco

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @F1rby - thanks for the mention, and happy to see many posts here were helpful.

When you install the AD410 with the SmartHome app, you choose between no chime or a digital or mechanical chime. The latter 2 options require you install the chime kit first, as if you don't, you can fry your doorbell's 24VAC circuit. Once installed, the SmartHome app does NOT have an option to turn off the external chime - you can only toggle between digital or mechanical chime. I assume this is because if you could select "no external chime " it can't bypass the chime circuit if it actually exists.

There are CGI/firmware configuration settings related to the external chime:
ExternalDoorBell.Enable=true
ExternalDoorBell.Time=3 (digital time delay)
ExternalDoorBell.Type=1 (1=mechanical, 2=digital)

I went ahead and tried <ip_addr>/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&ExternalDoorBell.Enable=false which was accepted, but the external chime still clanged its ding donger. It actually makes sense to me now why software can't control it.

Since you are using Home Assistant you should consider using voice or doorbell ring sound broadcasts to smart speakers when the doorbell is pushed based on whatever schedule you want, and just physically disconnect the external chime. This can also be accompanied by streaming video as to who is at the front door to various displays in the house.

You will still get push notifications (if enabled) regardless of the chime settings.
I know this is an old post but just want to followup that you CAN disable the mechanical chime on the fly with the api by setting enable = false AND type = 0. I had an issue with the doorbell resetting itself when ringing my chime, so I just disabled it and use a Z-wave chime now. You could also schedule your chime to turn off at night with these commands.

ExternalDoorBell.Enable=false
ExternalDoorBell.Type=0

remlemasi

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn’t get any RMA units yet. I have 5/22 and 6/22, both have issues.
@GaryOkie Received my RMA units in several weeks ago. Just installed one. Manufactured 11-2022. Firmware is 1.000.0000000.7.R.210220.

Did I read that there was an issue with this firmware and some suggest requesting an older version from Amcrest?

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@remlemasi - That's the original version of firmware and it works fine. There was a corrupt manual update a few months back that broke event handling for any 3rd party integrations (like Home Assistant). This update has been replaced by a new version that fixes this, and is only available on the Amcrest firmware download page. The change log for this latest version is sparse - just says the event bug was fixed and there is a new continuous SD recording option.

BTW - the SmartHome app continues to state that 210220 is the latest version.

remlemasi

n3wb
Reaction score
@remlemasi - That's the original version of firmware and it works fine. There was a corrupt manual update a few months back that broke event handling for any 3rd party integrations (like Home Assistant). This update has been replaced by a new version that fixes this, and is only available on the Amcrest firmware download page. The change log for this latest version is sparse - just says the event bug was fixed and there is a new continuous SD recording option.

BTW - the SmartHome app continues to state that 210220 is the latest version.
If I do want to take advantage of the continuous SD recording, any downsides to upgrading?

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I do want to take advantage of the continuous SD recording, any downsides to upgrading?
Well, I don't know of any new issues- because I haven't seen any user experience reports yet with this new version. Since it includes a new feature you want, I think it's OK to proceed with the update. You can always go back if you find some new problem.

Slight problem though - the backlevel firmware on the download site is now the corrupt Event handling version, not the original. Dumb! So if you do find you need the original version, you will have to ask Amcrest Support for it.

Please do report back.

Last edited:

sparker

n3wb
Reaction score
The files are massive in HD on my Synology Surveillance Station, instead of a month (Hikvision 720p) I have had to limit it to 2 weeks with the AD410, but I guess that continuous SD recording applies only to the internal SDcard?

I do see a Low Bandwidth option in SS camera settings, but I have never tried it, plus I don't want super grainy footage.

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My understanding is there is a new toggle in SmartHome to go from record-only-on-events to record-continuous. The app only lets you select WDR or SD / HD 2K/1K HD Video settings, so that would also apply to what is recorded on the SD card or to the RTSP stream. If you need to get more granular to the video settings (bit rate, H.264/265, etc.), that is possible via the API or other software, but other software can sometimes alter other settings forcing a factory reset to clear.

The RTSP stream is always continuous so any 3rd party recording mechanism will be independent of this new option.

Last edited:

remlemasi

n3wb
Reaction score
@GaryOkie Just realized that you’re differentiating between continuous SD recording and SDcard recording. Is event-based + continuous HD recording to the SDcard already a feature on the older firmwares? Does the new firmware simply add SD resolution as an option? Or does it add event-based + continuous altogether?

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My apologies - I shall state microSD card instead of SD from now on. The original firmware does not have the continuous recording to microSD card feature. The corrupt event version and the newest fixed version do.

I had originally thought the SmartHome app referred to the video resolution option as HD or SD, but it doesn't refer to SD/Standard Definition at all - just "HD resolution". (Note: Home Assistant refers to the mainstream resolution as "High" and the substream (1K in this case) as "low").

You can select either 2K (2560x1920p) or 1K (1920x1080p) resolutions in the app. Specifying a lower resolution than that would require the API or other software. Ditto for the bit rate, which defaults to 15fps for both.

Last edited:

remlemasi

n3wb
Reaction score
There is no known way to enable the web UI and it's very unlikely there can be. You can manipulate the configuration via the HTTP API and other software (DMSS, ipconfigtool, NVR). Using software other than that written for the doorbell (SmartHome for the ADxxx) can sometimes cause unwanted side effects, particularly with video settings - requiring a factory default refresh.
Thanks, I think I’ll update now while it’s still fresh and before I get into the weeds of configuration. Since there is no WebGUI for the AD410, should I use the ConfigTool desktop app?

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No, use the smarthome app for initial setup. After it's online you will need configtool for the firmware update. Configtool can also be used to configure other settings the SH app lacks, but as I said before, changing video settings with it sometimes gets the video wonky.

mooch91

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all. Is anyone using this doorbell cam with Synology Surveillance Station AND using Surveillance Station for the doorbell calls/intercom? It seems configurable for this, but by time I get DS Cam (the Synology iPhone app) open, the person at the door would probably be long gone. :) Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi all. Is anyone using this doorbell cam with Synology Surveillance Station AND using Surveillance Station for the doorbell calls/intercom? It seems configurable for this, but by time I get DS Cam (the Synology iPhone app) open, the person at the door would probably be long gone. :) Thanks!
Yes, I am. The 2 way audio from DS cam doesn't work for me, however.

Also FYI, DS Cam on iOS loads significantly faster when using IPV6 for some reason. I can open the app, login, and load 5 cams in about 4s when I'm on wifi. Definitely try logging in using your Synology's IPV6 address instead of the normal IPv4.

mooch91

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I am. The 2 way audio from DS cam doesn't work for me, however.

Also FYI, DS Cam on iOS loads significantly faster when using IPV6 for some reason. I can open the app, login, and load 5 cams in about 4s when I'm on wifi. Definitely try logging in using your Synology's IPV6 address instead of the normal IPv4.
@rawrmcrawrrawr - Thanks. Not to digress too much here, can you PM me any info on IPv6 setup for the Synology? Completely foreign to me...

fcol

n3wb
Reaction score
FYI: Blue Iris - ONVIF triggers
I don't know if anyone else has encountered this. But I was using the Amcrest human detection as a ONVIF trigger to start recordings in Blue Iris. This suddenly stopped working and I didn't understand why since I hadn't changed anything in the Amcrest or BI settings. After some playing around, I had an SD card installed (but never use since I rely on BI). But the card became full. I reformatted it via the Amcrest app and motion triggers in BI started working again.

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting discovery @fcol ... I've seen numerous reports of detection events suddenly quit working but this is a first I've seen of it being associated to a full microSD-Card. My AD410 is using Home Assistant's core Amcrest Integration (not ONVIF), and has just 1GB left in storage. I wonder if it too will freeze on events when full or if this is an ONVIF only thing? I'll know soon.

Last edited: