New Amcrest AD410 doorbell Cam Review

jvrobert

n3wb
Reaction score
My ad410 started showing just a white screen for video. Pretty sure it was heat death, I live in Phoenix lol.

I'm starting to think few cameras will survive this type of heat for more than a few years, so I'm going to focus on price/performance and not buy any high end ones.

Reactions: EMC

Marauder2

n3wb
Reaction score
Regarding the tape fix for the night vision IR halo effect. I had my wife whip up a black vinyl 10mm ring (inner diameter of opening) for the lense on her Cricut machine which I think turned out nice. Results of removing the IR reflection is perfect. Thanks for this solution as I have been putting up with the horrible night vision for over a year.
do you happen to know the outer diameter that you used with the 10mm inner?

EMC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
do you happen to know the outer diameter that you used with the 10mm inner?
Don't have the silhouette file anymore but the calipers are saying about 19.5 to 19.75mm OD. It ended up very close to but not overlapping the IR bulbs on each side. I would err on having a little less OD. It's more important that the barrier covers the edge of the main lense.

Marauder2

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't have the silhouette file anymore but the calipers are saying about 19.5 to 19.75mm OD. It ended up very close to but not overlapping the IR bulbs on each side. I would err on having a little less OD. It's more important that the barrier covers the edge of the main lense.
appreciate you taking the time to measure and get back to me!

Reaction score
Well shoot, my apologies if I brought the bad luck. I was on a high from fixing the night vision issue followed by the low of having the battery and power supply fail.
I wanted to share a similar experience in case it helps anyone. Like EMC, I also noticed about a week ago that my AD410 would start disconnecting at the same time every afternoon--which just so happened to be the exact time that the afternoon/evening sun set low enough on my westward facing covered porch and shine directly on the doorbell. I noticed the same thing EMC did, a large gap on the bottom of the doorbell housing between the front and rear cover. For a few days, the doorbell would come back online after a few hours, but it eventually just stopped working one day, and I could no longer power it up with 16VAC using the terminals. However, it would still turn on via USB power.

I did my own autopsy and found the same culprit, a hilariously swelled up battery that pushed the plastic apart. I believe this battery is used to briefly power the doorbell for a few seconds when you press the doorbell button with a chime connected. Since I do not use my chime and just rely on the button presses for automations via API, I decided to just remove the battery completely by unplugging it. Also, like EMC, several plastic pieces fell out when i opened up the doorbell, which are apparently small washers for the screws that secure the two panels. I was unable to fully join the two panels with the existing screws because there was no plastic left for the screws to bite onto. Luckily, I had a couple of 1/16" wood screws that were a near perfect length, so I decided to use them to secure the panels. Luckily, it worked, and I no longer have any gap in the camera.

After reassembly, I connected it back to my 16VAC bellwire and it powered back on--no battery necessary. Here is what I think happened: The internal battery swelled up so much that it pushed the two panels apart to the point where the internal screw terminals no longer physically touched the contacts on the inside of the doorbell. I suspect that the contact had been minimal for some time, and the afternoon sun shining directly on the case created the right conditions to expand the case to the point where there was no contact at all with the inside terminals. Luckily, everythhing else on the PCB looked fine upon visual inspection, although I admittedly didn't test with a multimeter.

Note again that I would only advise discarding the battery without replacement if you do not have a chime connected, If you do use a chime, the battery must be replaced or your doorbell will cut power every time you press the button.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
not sure why people are still buying for messing with this doorbell when the reolink POE runs laps around this doorbell.

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@SarmatMargenmeld - thanks for sharing that your AD410 swollen battery removal kept the doorbell operational - IF there isn't a chime connected. I agree that the purpose of the battery is likely to keep it operational and online for those few seconds when the chime kit diverts power to the chime.

On a related note, I opened a support case with Amcrest asking for release notes on the August 2023 AD410 firmware which it is again lacking. The reply was that he would contact the development team to get those change logs and post them online. But he also said this:

The firmware update contained code that optimized the charging of the internal battery to help reduce internal heat generation/stress on the battery itself, which has admittedly proven to be an issue especially with the intense heatwaves hitting the US the past couple months.
He also asked me to check the bottom of my AD410 case to see if it was cracking open! Mine hasn't shown signs of that yet, but now I'm tempted to open it up and proactively replace it if it has started to swell.

I have not seen a single report of anyone installing the firmware update yet. I have little trust in Amcrest's firmware QA when it comes to 3rd party API connectivity so, I'm holding off just a bit longer updating mine while watching the forums.

EMC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
not sure why people are still buying for messing with this doorbell when the reolink POE runs laps around this doorbell.
Have you been able to get 2 way comms going through Blue Iris or other onvif protocol compatible software on the reolink?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you been able to get 2 way comms going through Blue Iris or other onvif protocol compatible software on the reolink?
i dont use blue iris, and think i have only talked to 1 person though a doorbell camera in the past 5 years.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't have network cabling at my door bell and it would be a PITA to fish it there.

EMC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@SarmatMargenmeld - thanks for sharing that your AD410 swollen battery removal kept the doorbell operational - IF there isn't a chime connected. I agree that the purpose of the battery is likely to keep it operational and online for those few seconds when the chime kit diverts power to the chime.

On a related note, I opened a support case with Amcrest asking for release notes on the August 2023 AD410 firmware which it is again lacking. The reply was that he would contact the development team to get those change logs and post them online. But he also said this:

He also asked me to check the bottom of my AD410 case to see if it was cracking open! Mine hasn't shown signs of that yet, but now I'm tempted to open it up and proactively replace it if it has started to swell.

I have not seen a single report of anyone installing the firmware update yet. I have little trust in Amcrest's firmware QA when it comes to 3rd party API connectivity so, I'm holding off just a bit longer updating mine while watching the forums.
I just upgraded to the latest August firmware. I'm happy they are being proactive about the battery overheat issue. We'll see if this one lasts past next summer.

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just upgraded to the latest August firmware. I'm happy they are being proactive about the battery overheat issue. We'll see if this one lasts past next summer.
I would consider this a reactive update, not a proactive one - but thanks for reporting you've installed the newest firmware. Given the criticality of this battery issue and the ongoing heat dome here in the US and elsewhere you would think Amcrest would at least document in the firmware update notice what it's for.

So everything is working as before, and nothing new that you've noticed? I suspect the only change is this battery charging tweak.

EMC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would consider this a reactive update, not a proactive one - but thanks for reporting you've installed the newest firmware. Given the criticality of this battery issue and the ongoing heat dome here in the US and elsewhere you would think Amcrest would at least document in the firmware update notice what it's for.

So everything is working as before, and nothing new that you've noticed? I suspect the only change is this battery charging tweak.
Good point on it being a reactive change.

Yes so far functionality and performance is the same and all the settings tweaks I made under the prior version have remained in place. I haven't done extensive changes through the API though so your mileage may vary.

AndyM1

n3wb
Reaction score
EMC, do you use ONVIF with the AD410? Does it still work after the August update? Thanks!

EMC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
EMC, do you use ONVIF with the AD410? Does it still work after the August update? Thanks!
Yes I run blue iris for my recording software and detected no issues after upgrade. I'm not doing anything super fancy other than streaming to BI though.

nikleb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got a new AD410. I choose it as it rings the existing chime (vs. Reolink).

Everything seems to work. Got it also integrated into BlueIris.

I have a couple of questions:
1.) If I want to have the app on my ipad and iphone do I still need to do "shared user". With other words, need to create two users with two emails?
2.) Is there an official firewall port requirements list?
3.) I am assuming that with this camera the motion detection is done by the camera and not BlueIris?

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

1.) If I want to have the app on my ipad and iphone do I still need to do "shared user". With other words, need to create two users with two emails?
3.) I am assuming that with this camera the motion detection is done by the camera and not BlueIris?
You mean the Amcrest app? Yes, you need separate email address for each device to link it all to the one same doorbell, camera or nvr etc. You could sign in connecting to their cloud server but often it will boot off the other devices that are signed in with the same email and password information. That why they use share user feature to prevent one device from bumping other off the cloud notification server.

EMC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Regarding #3, I prefer to use Blue Iris motion detection and deepstack AI for trigger events the same as with my other cameras. You don't have to rely on Amcrest's built in software.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Instead of using Amcrest app, you can install and set up Scrypted Scrypted to use the Apple Homekit for all your app needs.It does notification, 2-way talk and AI detection etc. I am currently using it and I love it! It take some patience to set it up thou and a bit of docker knowledge.