New Amcrest AD410 doorbell Cam Review

mooch91

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone know what this doorbell needs to get an accurate picture in the notification? Does it need to have an active internal SD card? I've turned this feature off in the Amcrest software because it brings up either a logo screen, or live video, or something other than a snapshot when the human/motion detection event takes place. Thanks.

mooch91

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also - it would seem that the notifications are not all independent in the app. For instance, I'd like to have the app stop telling me about motion and humans, but allow calls through. But I'd like the camera to pass the motion and human detection through to my NAS which would then do the notifications. Any idea if this can be done?

fcol

n3wb
Reaction score
I have this working with my mechanical chime (chime kit is installed) but I'm nervous since my first unit died after a week (when the doorbell was rung). I'd like to bypass the mechanical chime (disconnect power wires from chime) and am not sure if I should still connect the power wires through the chime kit. Ring seems to recommend this:

Could someone please explain why? When I was testing this out initially, I just had it wired directly to a 24VAC 40VA adapter for a few weeks. Thanks!

Dixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have this working with my mechanical chime (chime kit is installed) but I'm nervous since my first unit died after a week (when the doorbell was rung). I'd like to bypass the mechanical chime (disconnect power wires from chime) and am not sure if I should still connect the power wires through the chime kit. Ring seems to recommend this:

Could someone please explain why? When I was testing this out initially, I just had it wired directly to a 24VAC 40VA adapter for a few weeks. Thanks!
How did you wire it to the 24vac transformer? Because you cannot hook up one leg of the transformer to one screw on the doorbell and the other leg of the transformer to the doorbells other screw terminal. That does make it turn on but the moment you hit the doorbell button it will blow an internal fuse because you just closed the circuit.

Doorbells operate with the same leg of the transformer flowing through the door bell (both screw terminals). The chime kit helps create a resistance load. But wiring has to be the same as a normal door bell where basically that same leg is flowing through the doorbell and just closing the circuit to the Mechanical bell like a light switch.

By running each leg of the transformer to a screw terminal on the Wi-Fi doorbell when you pressed the button it’s no different than shorting both legs of the transformer. Doorbell has an internal non replaceable fuse. So when it blows the doorbell is toast.

Attached is a normal door bell wiring diagram. Notice transformers one leg flows through the door bell like a light switch. Wi-Fi doorbells work the same way. Actually have to be wired the same way. The chime kit adapter goes on the mechanical chime itself. That’s just to add additional resistance so the Wi-Fi doorbell can turn on with no button being pressed. View attachment 123466

Last edited:

fcol

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I think I got it (although I couldn’t view your diagram).
For what it’s worth, my first unit died while connected the mechanical chime with chime kit installed. It was working fine for a week (with people ringing the bell). But then it just died after one ring from the Amcrest button. I thought I saw other reports like this (after weeks or months). That’s why I was considering to bypass the mechanical chime.

Reaction score
Can anyone else remove the 410 buy just applying a little force sliding it up? Seems that i dont need to use that little pin at all to remove the actual doorbell piece.
Pretty sure i installed correctly.
1. I Snapped the base mount with "UP" in the up position to the side angle mount, then screwed that combined piece into the wall. That mount part is very secure.
2. Then put the doorbell on and slid DOWN until i heard it click into place. No issue there either.
3. If i gently pull the doorbell straight to me its very secure, but if i apply a little force to slide back up, it does and just comes right off without too much effort.
Did i do something wrong?

thanks

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Can anyone else remove the 410 buy just applying a little force sliding it up? Seems that i dont need to use that little pin at all to remove the actual doorbell piece.
Pretty sure i installed correctly.
1. I Snapped the base mount with "UP" in the up position to the side angle mount, then screwed that combined piece into the wall. That mount part is very secure.
2. Then put the doorbell on and slid DOWN until i heard it click into place. No issue there either.
3. If i gently pull the doorbell straight to me its very secure, but if i apply a little force to slide back up, it does and just comes right off without too much effort.
Did i do something wrong?

thanks

it does the same for me ... Just push it inward with little force then I can slide it off.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I brought the AD410 and so far I am liking it. I even got it to be detected by Dahua NVR and added to it.

But ....

I think the mounting bracket is causing the camera to expose more of the ceiling than the floor and I would like to be able to see the packages when it get delivered and left on the porch.

I am using a angled mount, I thought about using a washer and add it on the top screw behind the mount but I was afraid that that it could cause some weak points on the mount since the whole back would not be firmly flat on the door trim and the plastic around screw could snap off where the screw and washer is at but again it the top and the button is on the bottom so maybe it will work.

I also thought about using a door / window shim that is used when installing a new door or window in a home. Just more work and I would have to trim down the shim to same shape as the mount then paint it with weather resist paint or otherwise the shim will probably swell up easy and cause camera misalignment.

Anyone here have somehow modified the mount to make it angled more downward toward to the floor and works out great? What method did you use to modify it?

Attached is the current view of my new AD410. Notice too much ceiling view than the floor view.

IMG_1166.PNG

Thanks
Bill

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@TechBill - A month ago I came up with a way to use both the side angle mount and downward mount in combination to achieve what you were hoping for. As you know, these mounts are designed to be attached to the AD410 base as one or the other, not both.

You start with breaking off the small protruding clips on the downward mount and then place it BACKWARDS against the side angle mount. They won't snap together of course, but they will line up perfectly! (See first pic).

Then screw all 3 together to the wall. You will need a longer screw for the top. (pic 2). Don't screw in the bottom screw too tightly as if it flexes inward just a little, the little plastic lock mechanism won't hold very well and the doorbell can be easily pushed up and off without the pin. It may anyway.

The next 2 pics show the final appearance from the side and top. This solution will definitely help improve the downward view, but honestly, I was hoping it would be more. At least it doesn't look like a hack job - my previous AD110 mount used a wood shim and didn't look nearly as nice.

down&angle_mount.png

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
@TechBill - A month ago I came up with a way to use both the side angle mount and downward mount in combination to achieve what you were hoping for. As you know, these mounts are designed to be attached to the AD410 base as one or the other, not both.

You start with breaking off the small protruding clips on the downward mount and then place it BACKWARDS against the side angle mount. They won't snap together of course, but they will line up perfectly! (See first pic).

Then screw all 3 together to the wall. You will need a longer screw for the top. (pic 2). Don't screw in the bottom screw too tightly as if it flexes inward just a little, the little plastic lock mechanism won't hold very well and the doorbell can be easily pushed up and off without the pin. It may anyway.

The next 2 pics show the final appearance from the side and top. This solution will definitely help improve the downward view, but honestly, I was hoping it would be more. But at least it doesn't look like a hack job, even though that may be exactly what it is!

View attachment 124992

Wow impressive and you even make it look like factory look! I will just try that and see how it works out for me.

I already have a long screen from my previous doorbell and I used the same screw on this one. I think it's like 2 inches long and thicker that it barely fit in the screw hole on the mount. I never liked the screws that comes with product. it always seem to be a one time screw and the head seem to oodly strips out on the last final turn.

Many thanks for sharing your project and tips!

Bill

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Out of curiously, anyone here run a home automation hub like Home assistance or Hubitat and managed to get this doorcam working with it? I am trying to do some research to see if I can get it set up in my Hubitat hub which is linked to my Apple Homekit via Hoobs homebridge. I recently learned that Apple Homekit have an updated PiP (picture in picture) feature on some of the doorcam.

Also, I am starting to notice that sometime playback on cellular just freezes on the first frame .. I haven't done a search in this thread yet to see if anyone experience the same thing but I just start noticing it now.

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The AD410 is supported quite nicely on Home Assistant using either the core Amcrest Integration or the custom Dahua integration. Both are actively supported by the HASS community. Full event handling is possible, including doorbell press and human motion event sensors to trigger automations. Streaming and local recording is supported as well.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I am having issue with the playback from my memory card on iOS app. It does playback but it like super super super slow .. when I am walking across the doorcam It playback of me taking a step then pause 4-5 seconds and taking next step then pause another 4-5 seconds then next step ..

I have contact support but they seem to be no help so far ...

I do have it connected to my Dahua NVR but I need to see the playback of the human detection and that can only be done from local memory card and on its own app correct?

I noticed the bandwidth meter in the upper left corner would begin with like 220kb 0kb 27kb 0kb 43kb 0kb etc Looks like it pausing or dropping signal during playback but live streaming is super smooth ...

What you all think is up with my local memory card playback? It's at least a class 10 and better memory card and it came from my previous doorcam DB1 which had no issues with playback which was smooth depending on my cellular location but this doorcam playback is either crappy or broken even with iPhone connected to same local wifi.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I am having issue with the playback from my memory card on iOS app. It does playback but it like super super super slow .. when I am walking across the doorcam It playback of me taking a step then pause 4-5 seconds and taking next step then pause another 4-5 seconds then next step ..

I have contact support but they seem to be no help so far ...

I do have it connected to my Dahua NVR but I need to see the playback of the human detection and that can only be done from local memory card and on its own app correct?

I noticed the bandwidth meter in the upper left corner would begin with like 220kb 0kb 27kb 0kb 43kb 0kb etc Looks like it pausing or dropping signal during playback but live streaming is super smooth ...

What you all think is up with my local memory card playback? It's at least a class 10 and better memory card and it came from my previous doorcam DB1 which had no issues with playback which was smooth depending on my cellular location but this doorcam playback is either crappy or broken even with iPhone connected to same local wifi.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I want to add that I did download the video from local memory card to my iPhone which took few second then when I playback from my iPhone, it is super smooth so it writing to memory card just fine ...

fcol

n3wb
Reaction score
I can’t help other than I can confirm the same behavior except that I stream to Blue Iris. I’m using Blue Iris to detect the Amcrest’s human motion detection as an “external trigger” (so all video I want is captured on my BI server; I only use the microSD as a backup).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Support acknowledge there an issue with thier app playback from SD card. They said developers are looking into it and hopefully release a fix soon.

locidb

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same Amcrest App playback issue with the AD410. I looked at the iOS App Store reviews for the Amcrest app and it looks like several people are having the same issue with their latest App version. My guess is that the developers introduced a bad build / bug with the latest version. Hopefully they can fix it soon since it's been over a month now. I'm surprised they didn't just re-submit their previous version (with playback working) while the developers worked on a fix.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the same Amcrest App playback issue with the AD410. I looked at the iOS App Store reviews for the Amcrest app and it looks like several people are having the same issue with their latest App version. My guess is that the developers introduced a bad build / bug with the latest version. Hopefully they can fix it soon since it's been over a month now. I'm surprised they didn't just re-submit their previous version (with playback working) while the developers worked on a fix.
I would have to agree with you too if there is a bug they should have gone back to previous version on the app store.

JazzRock

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve had my 410 installed since about last August. It is setup through my Synology via ONVIF. I’ve had wifi connection issues with it from the beginning. The signal is very strong throughout my house including the front door area where it is installed. From the beginning it will periodically go off line. No idea why….or what makes it rejoin the network. Seemed to happen every 2 weeks or so. Recently at least once per week. And just in the last 2 weeks every couple days. About 3 days ago it died completely. It will no longer come back online and the chime doesn’t ring. The unit is completely non responsive. A couple times I did notice the 410 was VERY hot to the touch. I should have investigated that but I ignored it.

My Transformer is 24VAC 40VA. The chime is not digital…it’s more of a traditional chime. Of course, there may be something wrong with my transformer but before I start replacing things I was hoping to get some feedback from those who are much more technically savvy than I. Are there any possible issues I should look for that might cause this behavior?

I’ve read through quite a few pages of this thread and I didn’t notice anything specifically related to my issue. I did see some conversation regarding power issues but don’t think they are similar to what I’ve been experiencing.

I will add this is my second unit. I had a very difficult time with the first one…..I tried getting assistance from their support and it was an absolutely a disaster. After about 2 weeks I returned it and got a replacement which I was able to get working. I am now hesitant to even begin trying to work with their support and I typically wouldn’t consider staying with the brand but I know of no other alternative that will allow me to use with my Synology (view & capture video) instead of a cloud based program and get the higher resolution I do with the Amcrest. If anyone is willing to offer some suggestions and/or advice I’d be really grateful.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve had my 410 installed since about last August. It is setup through my Synology via ONVIF. I’ve had wifi connection issues with it from the beginning. The signal is very strong throughout my house including the front door area where it is installed. From the beginning it will periodically go off line. No idea why….or what makes it rejoin the network. Seemed to happen every 2 weeks or so. Recently at least once per week. And just in the last 2 weeks every couple days. About 3 days ago it died completely. It will no longer come back online and the chime doesn’t ring. The unit is completely non responsive. A couple times I did notice the 410 was VERY hot to the touch. I should have investigated that but I ignored it.

My Transformer is 24VAC 40VA. The chime is not digital…it’s more of a traditional chime. Of course, there may be something wrong with my transformer but before I start replacing things I was hoping to get some feedback from those who are much more technically savvy than I. Are there any possible issues I should look for that might cause this behavior?

I’ve read through quite a few pages of this thread and I didn’t notice anything specifically related to my issue. I did see some conversation regarding power issues but don’t think they are similar to what I’ve been experiencing.

I will add this is my second unit. I had a very difficult time with the first one…..I tried getting assistance from their support and it was an absolutely a disaster. After about 2 weeks I returned it and got a replacement which I was able to get working. I am now hesitant to even begin trying to work with their support and I typically wouldn’t consider staying with the brand but I know of no other alternative that will allow me to use with my Synology (view & capture video) instead of a cloud based program and get the higher resolution I do with the Amcrest. If anyone is willing to offer some suggestions and/or advice I’d be really grateful.
Is your transformer a selective rating type or fixed at 24VAC and 40VA. I think 40VA is a bit on the high side is maybe why is running hot.