New AMD Ryzen

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What part makes less and less Sense
How about this:

I assume this is what most small business do with there BI servers. i will not even touch the new video surveillance software, because that is not fair. the Treadripper will kill it. (data base searches is just mathmatical calculations and AMD can not touch that on is home standard chipset)
Bringing up different video surveillance software in a discussion about what kind of system runs Blue Iris the best. Then you say AMD's CPU "will kill it" indicating it would run your new software much better. Then in the very next statement you say AMD can not touch that, indicating that AMD would run your new software much worse.

And then another entire post about this facial recognition system that you intend to install to replace Blue Iris. Completely off-topic.

Then this:

also, no one follows your IP address. They follow your MAC address. Sorry drinking beer and letting what i know go. 25+ years in computer science. oh and your CPU cell phone, laptop, tablet, computer also broadcast a SN. probably your Ram too. So dont waist your time with proxy servers. and on that note probably going to get yelled at. or at least added to my FBI file.
Where do I even start? Those are completely random and nonsensical statements. "25+ years in computer science" must go completely out the window when you are drunk.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Frenderman, yes any processor will run 24/7 as long as it cool fully loaded or not. (note to everyone Make sure you change your thermal past every few years) But you saying "the processor has no effect on crashes" is kinda like a corner saying they died of "Heart Failure". Ultimately we all die of heart failure, (our heart stop beating) CPU do not crash, they just fault, and safety measures kick in(AT SOME POINT EVERYTHING IN THIS UNIVERSE WILL GO BELLY UP). for me A CPU Failure, the computer turns off unsafely and abruptly). as you said its not the CPU Causing the crash, It was technically probably the cooling system in most cases not all of them. Yes Blue screen is typically a R/W error somewhere RAM, and or HD Sector... I don't know how we got off subject but here, I have a lot of Respect for you Fenderman, I think it was you that showed me how to fix my corrupted BI data Base, But AMD is not a bad choice, In fact right now they are giving Intel a run for there money, This is good for everyone, The redheaded step child of intel just pushed a product that does not beet every Intel processor by any means, They just set a price point for a vary strong processor that intel would charges twice as much for. Can we agree on that? Personally i think this is good for all of us. Intel now need to come back to the plate. for the consumers that cant afford 1k chips, Guess what Intel dropped its prices on most of its chips. This was a good thing if your a avid Intel person. you too are now getting more bang for your buck. anyhow way off topic. I know i can run more cameras on my AMD chip, Yes it cost me more in power usage long term, But that was offset. I paid 400+ for may AMD vs 900 for that savings i got to have a 2 more cameras at the time. Do i regret it? Not at all.

AMD is now a little bit more of a force, it will be good for us the end users.
You really dont know what you are talking about...sounds like you had some kind of gamer convince you that you need liquid cooling on your VMS server - just insane. You are correct, amd is not a bad choice its a TERRIBLE choice. You cannot run more cams on the amd processor in your system vs intel that was available at that time...someone is seriously misleading you...
I run over 20 blue iris systems on stock intel coolers with no crashes...someone is really playing games with you..its sad...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And FYI, 5K in 2013 for 20TB Raid 6 4U rack mount server is not being Ripped off. This project went out to bid, I use to work for Siemens Automation. your kinda making me think your like 17 years old right now.

Can I ask you a question? Besides shopping and building a few custom computers have you done any industrial equipment? Industrial Automation, Servers with 12 Hard drives running Raid 6, Custom code? and i am not talking about for a home user, I am talking about industry, where down time does not cost a headache, I am talking $1,000 of dollars per hour of lost revenue if your wrong? Then backing your choice with your own company finances? Are we on the same playing field? Well I do, AMD did not disappoint in my application.
ha, you overpaid someone to build a system and you could have saved all that money and put it towards an enterprise vms...what a joke, blue iris is not an industrial vms..you have 30 cameras...please...

adontoh

n3wb
Reaction score
Gentlemen, thank you for sharing your AMD experiences. I have not purchased a Ryzen yet, but I sure am interested in them.

Anyone else using a Ryzen with Blue Iris? Please post your experiences and speeds so we can get a better idea on well they are doing.

Thanks!
Just saw your post and wanted to provide feedback. I am running 28 4MP Hikvision cameras all at 1080p@20FPS on a custom built AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X with 32GB ram, 250gb SAMSUNG 960EVO M.2 SSD and 60TB of storage. System is working great. CPU load is 85~95% but temperature stays mostly below 35C (with liquid cooling).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just saw your post and wanted to provide feedback. I am running 28 4MP Hikvision cameras all at 1080p@20FPS on a custom built AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X with 32GB ram, 250gb SAMSUNG 960EVO M.2 SSD and 60TB of storage. System is working great. CPU load is 85~95% but temperature stays mostly below 35C (with liquid cooling).
your system is not running great at 95 percent usage...it is getting decimated....power consumption is likely through the roof..

adontoh

n3wb
Reaction score
CPU power consumption (actual) is 105-125 watts. See below:

AMD Threadripper 1950x CPU Utilization Temps & Power Consumption
upload_2018-1-4_16-10-41.png

Attachments

Last edited:

adontoh

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment. I happen to have a watt meter on hand and plugged the entire system into it including video card, 6 hard drives (48 TB), 1 SSD card, and 8 memory sticks (32GB) and it reads 207 watts total which seem to suggest the 120w CPU usage is not incorrect.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment. I happen to have a watt meter on hand and plugged the entire system into it including video card, 6 hard drives (48 TB), 1 SSD card, and 8 memory sticks (32GB) and it reads 207 watts total which seem to suggest the 120w CPU usage is not incorrect.
perhaps...but you need to factor in that you must use a dedicated gpu with that system...a similar system running intel would draw much less as noted above by others....if you are running your system fully optimized with proper BI settings and hitting 95 then your load is too high....you would have been better off spending 2000 on licensing a more efficient package like digital watchdog (70 per camera and lifetime upgrades) and running on a much lower power consumption system ...

adontoh

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, much appreciated. You said "but you need to factor in that you must use a dedicated gpu with that system." Are you saying I can use a dedicated gpu to off load some of the processing from the CPU? I RDT into the BI server currently, and I'm using an old Radeon card just for the few occasions when I need to log in locally (see below). The 95% load does not bother me so long as the system is up 24/7 and the power consumption stays low at 200 watts for the 28 4mp 20fps full 1080p Hikvision cameras. By the way, the consumption is about the same as my previous i7-6900K build that I replaced with the AMD Threadripper 1950X. The previous i7-6900K was constantly at 100%, and could not handle the load (no igx i guess) - the reason why I decided, just for the fun of it, to go with the AMD Threadripper.

upload_2018-1-4_17-30-24.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, much appreciated. You said "but you need to factor in that you must use a dedicated gpu with that system." Are you saying I can use a dedicated gpu to off load some of the processing from the CPU? I RDT into the BI server currently, and I'm using an old Radeon card just for the few occasions when I need to log in locally (see below). The 95% load does not bother me so long as the system is up 24/7 and the power consumption stays low at 200 watts for the 28 4mp 20fps full 1080p Hikvision cameras. By the way, the consumption is about the same as my previous i7-6900K build that I replaced with the AMD Threadripper 1950X. The previous i7-6900K was constantly at 100%, and could not handle the load (no igx i guess) - the reason why I decided, just for the fun of it, to go with the AMD Threadripper.

View attachment 25298
no, what i meant was that with intel you can use the hd with quicksync to offload some of the processing....

adontoh

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. Do you know if it is possible to offload processing to a dedicated graphics card. Just curious.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm sorry to tell you but this is not a great use for 1950X. To put it into perspective, I run a 27 camera system, cameras are all 1080P or higher at 10 fps. On an i7-3770 with 8gb of RAM this system sits at ~22% CPU use. Doubling frame rate to 20 fps as you have done would not result in double the CPU use.

I see now that you can pickup a complete i7-3770 system with 16gb of RAM from Ebay for $240. This is an incredible deal for a Blue Iris-ready system. Running 30 cams it will idle at probably ~70 watts.

At an electricity cost of $.10 per kwh this system would save you $.33 per day / $120 per year versus your Threadripper system, but even more crucially it would let you use that Threadripper for what it was made to do, which is literally almost any task but running Blue Iris.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

navrongo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the electricity savings calculations bobfather. As I said, my Threadripper 1950X build was for the thrill of it. It replaced my previous i7-6900K build which run at a constant 100% for a maxed out, 28 camera system, cameras are all 1080P or higher at 20 fps, BI setup. I am aware that I can lower the CPU cycle factor by dialing down the BI settings.

pcunite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
... consumption is about the same as my previous i7-6900K build that I replaced with the AMD Threadripper 1950X. The previous i7-6900K was constantly at 100%, and could not handle the load (no igx i guess) - the reason why I decided, just for the fun of it, to go with the AMD Threadripper.
Thank you for doing this and reporting it. I love the AMD Threadripper from a conceptual standpoint. I really wanted to build my Blue Iris server based on it. The reason your i7-6900K did poorly was because of a lack of Quick Sync. Sadly, Blue Iris can only accelerate using Quick Sync (at the moment).

In May/June of this year I plan to build an Intel i7-8700 (6 core with Quick Sync) based server for a 24 camera setup. I'll report my findings.

MnM

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wanted to make an update on this thread. I have been using Blue Iris for a number of years (still learning of course !!) exclusively on Intel based systems.

My latest system was an Intel based system i7-4790K, 16GB of RAM + hdds. I normally to direct-to-disk recording 24x7 and have enough hdd space to hold recordings for about 3 weeks (using 3 hdds). My cameras are:

7 x Dahua IPC-HDW5231r-z
2 x Dahua SD49225T-HN

All cameras are set at 25fps, full 1080 resolution

All worked very well on my Intel system. During the night I saw about 10% CPU usage (+ about 55% on the GPU), while during the day it was hovering around 20% with peaks to a maximum of around 30% CPU usage (+ 55% or so GPU usage).
System was very responsive even when I RDP in to it and open BI Management screen (usage will jump to about 50% +).

Now, I have a few other physical systems around the house - namely a SuperMicro based firewall and another computer used as a virtualization server.
Lately I was looking for ways of consolidating as many physical systems as I could into one single computer in the name of saving power and freeing up some space around the place.

I have decided that an AMD Threadripper will be my system of choice for this (1950x with 32 cores, lots of ram - I have 112GB in it right now - Samsung Pro NVME M2 drive for the OS components only of all the virtual servers, a few spinning disks for all the data partitions of the virtual drives/backups, a couple of NICs to pass-through to virtual servers where required).
So I built up the system using ProxMox. All my existing virtual servers were migrated to this new box plus the other few physical servers too. One day when AMD will fully fix the GPU passthrough my gaming desktop will also be migrated to this too.

The only server left was the Blue Iris server. So I decided to test. Shut down the i7 server and built a new Windows 10 virtual server on my Threadripper box. I gave it 8 cores and 16GB of RAM. I took the HDDs out of the i7 box and pass them through to the new Win10 BI virtual server. The new BI virtual server saw them as they were - intact with the existing partitions and all the data (recorded videos) still on them. I applied my exported BI settings from the i7 Blue Iris box to this new BI visualized server.
System is happily direct recording to disk 24/7 (just as before). Is not skipping anything. CPU load is consistently sitting around 20% to 30% with 6 of the assigned cores doing most of the work and the 2 remaining cores only seeing utilization over 20% when I RDP to the virtual server. Never seen the cores spike up more than 60% even with BI open watching all cameras. Alerts work just as before. Delay from live camera feeds are just they were on the i7 system. I can view recordings and alerts just fine. Memory usage is 5Gb at the very top so I might go with only 8GB instead of 16GB.
Overall I see nothing that is different than when I was using the i7 system. Nothing at all. The move to the Threadripper based virtual BI virtual server happened about 1 week ago. Yesterday I switched off my i7 BI box. I realized I would not need it anymore and from now on I will be using the new BI virtual server.

I must admit that initially I did not believe this new AMD Threadripper system will work well for this - moving my i7 BI to a virtual server was NEVER part of my plan at all especially on an AMD system!
Turns out I was wrong and will be keeping the virtualized system instead of the physical one.

I will end this by saying that I just wanted to update this with my experience. I am not saying that Intel is better than AMD or vice-versa. What I am saying is that what I have now (virtualized BI server on AMD Threadripper CPU) works just as well as my previous i7 BI physical server and I will stay with this for now. Plus with the Threadripper 1950X having 32 cores in total I have room to add more cores to my new BI virtual server if I decide to add more cameras (or higher MP cameras) in the future. This new computer It allowed me to achieve my goal - consolidate 3 physical computers into 1 so i can save power. Plus in the near future (I hope) I can add my gaming desktop to it with proper GPU passthrough.

Just as an overall reference - my Threadripper system running around 20 virtual servers in total (including the BI one) has a total overall usage of about 15% MAX across the 32 cores. So yeah plenty of room to add more virtual server or more core to the BI virtual server.

Edit - just red the post above mine - I hope I am not a complete idiot Fenderman for going with an AMD system that works for my needs and performance is on par with my previous systems :) :) :)

... And you will have issues with the vm, eventually...good luck
10 months update - my virtual Blue Iris server performs just as well as my old physical one did. No issues at all.

Thredripper runs all my virtual servers without breaking a sweat.

asilva54

n3wb
Reaction score
10 months update - my virtual Blue Iris server performs just as well as my old physical one did. No issues at all.

Thredripper runs all my virtual servers without breaking a sweat.
I'm so tempted to move my vm's to threadripper from my ryzen 1700, just for the hell of it.

I still got my blue iris box on a xeon e3 1245 v3 sitting on my rack (transplanted lenovo ts140), I really wish i could decommission that box, BI is the only thing left on it. Alas, bound by quick sync dependency still...feels so long in the tooth.

Maekonesot

n3wb
Reaction score
Ryzen7 2700x 8 cores/16 threads + Gtx1050 works extremely well. Much better than i7 8700 (6 cores/12 threads) alone on the same camera setup. 12 cameras 3-4 MP each. BI process at night consumes 5%, during the day max 12%, average 7-8% of the CPU. Nvidia 10%. This new AMD CPU is very good.