New BI build

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was running on an old i7 3770k for my desktop and BI systems. I finally got around and upgraded due to BI eating up 60%+ CPU on the old one.

The new build is
Ryzen 9 3900x
GTX 1660 Super 6GB
MSI MPG X570 mobo
32GB RAM
1TB NVME Gen4 x4

This thing doesn't even notice BI is running, it hit 14% with 5 cameras alerting due to shadows. Usually runs at 7-9% without any cameras triggering.

I have 10 cameras, 5 are 3MP Hikvision turrets, 2 are Hik mini-dome, 1 is 4MP Hik turret, 3MP Hik dome, and 1 old 1.3MP Dahua bullet In BI, it is showing 320MP/s and about 50mbps of traffic.

See performance in attachments. The disk read/write is excellent on the nvme, although it is lower than the specs state.

Attachments

Reaction score
NIce, hopefully you will be getting some other useful uses out of that new PC.

To be honest I would have expected the 3770k to handle 320MP/s without breaking a sweat, and certainly not at 60%+ cpu usage. I wonder if it was a different problem entirely with that old system, not because I necessarily think buying NEW (or AMD) is a bad move but so people don't come here thinking they have to buy a top of the line processor to run Blue Iris with small camera loads.

Regardless new architecture probably will be nice for power efficiency and heat, and besides getting more Ryzen systems on the Blue Iris Update Helper isn't really an awful thing. I presume the 1660 was due to the lack of integrated graphics, and you didn't want to pay good money for a complete low-end card?

kindest

n3wb
Reaction score
Sweet. I am new to this and was reading the Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris wiki because my i-2500k with 6 4k 8mp cameras is lagging.
And it said "It is unwise to purchase any CPU, intending to use it for Blue Iris, if it does not support Quick Sync Video. Quick Sync is not available on any AMD processor "
I didn't want to be limited and I see yours is flyinggggggg. good stuff

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the 3770k did handle them without anything else running at around 50% probably. The mobo had old intel graphics and the GPU was a 550ti. Neither could offload anything from the CPU. If I had a couple of cameras triggered it would spike to 100%. That made is useless for anything else, not to mention the

I had that old system since new back when Intel still made retail boards. It was time for an upgrade.

The 1660 does help offload usage from the CPU, dropped from 11 to 7-8%

My 3770k would have benefitted from a better GPU, but I needed to upgrade anyway. I will repurpose the 3770k for a 5 or 6 camera install for my mom. It should work fine as a BI only box. I have post about that here New install suggestions for low light area

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sweet. I am new to this and was reading the Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris wiki because my i-2500k with 6 4k 8mp cameras is lagging.
And it said "It is unwise to purchase any CPU, intending to use it for Blue Iris, if it does not support Quick Sync Video. Quick Sync is not available on any AMD processor "
I didn't want to be limited and I see yours is flyinggggggg. good stuff
You fail to realize that his cpu alone is over 400 dollars. Add the extra power consumption over your standard intel 8th-10th gen i7 and the extra power consumed by the gtx1660 and that statement holds true. You can buy an entire i5-8500 system for 400 bux and an i7-8700 for 600. Also consider that the OP had something very wrong setup in his first system as 320MP/s will never consume 60 percent of that processor. 320MP/s is a very low load. Further consider that with the new substream decoding released in BI you can easily run your current load on your current system. IF you dont already run an SSD for the OS BI and the database that is the first thing you should do. Also ensure that you are running your memory in dual channel which significantly improves cpu usage.

Last edited:

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had the option of buying 2x i7 9700 for my mom and me or repurpose the 3770 for her smaller need and give mine a big boost. It is my primary desktop so the extra horsepower comes in handy. The price for 2 vs the 1 I built was about the same at $1500. I will also be doing some video editing for my travel blog and youtube once this damn COVID is gone and I travel again. So this is a win win in my book. I will remove the 550ti from the 3770 system and use only SSD for storage.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@paarlberg For Blue Iris to co-exist better with other heavy workloads like video editing, you should definitely still optimize what you can on the Ryzen machine, especially direct-to-disc if you haven't got that enabled. See the link I posted a couple minutes ago.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@paarlberg For Blue Iris to co-exist better with other heavy workloads like video editing, you should definitely still optimize what you can on the Ryzen machine, especially direct-to-disc if you haven't got that enabled. See the link I posted a couple minutes ago.
I plan to optimize going forward.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I updated to Direct-to-disk and my cpu dropped to 3-4% on the new machine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have blue iris optimized on my i5-3470 3.2gig processor with 13 cameras.
Wow.... I am running a generation newer processor than you and was thinking I need to dump this 5 year old Dell Inspiron computer. I am only running 4 cams, but want to go to 6 or 7..... with 4, I am hitting 50% without any cameras triggered. I put two new cams on my system recently-- if both trigger, I hit 99% CPU. I'd love to try and duplicate your settings if possible--- what else besides 15fps should I be changing??? are you using an SSD main drive?-- I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not on a machine this old.... Would love to squeeze another year or so out of that machine...

1589208340541.png

1589207842780.png

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I rebuilt my 3770k and I am using direct to disk recording and only have 1 old 1.3MP cam on it now. That is at idle. I forgot to remove half the RAM, so it still has 32GB in it. I have 3 SSD in my mom's new system. One for OS and APPS, 1 for new recordings and 1 for clip storage.

1589209491942.png

On my new system, I have 9 cameras running, 8 are 3MP and 1 is 4MP. This one has 1x NVME for OS and APPS, 1 for recording storage, and another for a VM of my old system in case I forgot to migrate something. 2.5TB total

1589209679562.png

I do have quite a few browser windows and tabs open on this system as well, but the CPU is showing 5-6% in BI. It is much better.

Reaction score
I rebuilt my 3770k and I am using direct to disk recording and only have 1 old 1.3MP cam on it now. That is at idle. I forgot to remove half the RAM, so it still has 32GB in it. I have 3 SSD in my mom's new system. One for OS and APPS, 1 for new recordings and 1 for clip storage.
Aren't there significant disadvantages to direct-to-disk??

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had thought so as well, but all the pros on here use it . If you want a timestamp in your video, it can be added when you export from BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No there are not. You may be confusing it with limit decoding. There are only two trivial disadvantages that are well worth the cpu savings.
1 - Blue iris Overlays are not recorded. You simply use the cameras own timestamp. (if recording to bvr you can add the blue iris timestamp back on export).
2 - recording begins at an iframe interval when using trigger recording as opposed to continuous.. Blue iris recommends matching your iframe interval to your fps. So as long as you have your pretrigger time set to 1 second (most have it to 3-5 anyway), you wont miss anything.

Not using direct to disk and reencoding not only uses way more cpu, but can degrade the image AND use more storage space.