New BI Setup - PC questions

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So does the Media Creation Tool save the digital license?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
See now that article talks about linking the digital license to your Microsoft account.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
See now that article talks about linking the digital license to your Microsoft account.
Dude you are just not listening or reading...READ THE FIRST LINE OF THE ARTICLE. IT THEN GOES ON TO EXPLAIN HOW TO PREVENT LOSING YOUR LICENSE IF YOU PLAN ON MAKING SIGNIFICANT HARDWARE CHANGES. ONE WAY TO DO THIS IS TO LINK TO AN ACCOUNT. You DONT need to do this unless you are swapping out the motherboard.
See, now, if you read, you learn. WTF do you think, I did this magically a bunch of times or im lying? Dont believe me fine, pay more.

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks forum people for your help. My computer came with windows 10 home edition. Should I install a clean windows 10pro? Will I lose my BI settings if I do? Next I would like to be pointed in the direction on how to make my system more secure. I’m currently using port forwarding . Thank’s again

disbjohn

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks forum people for your help. My computer came with windows 10 home edition. Should I install a clean windows 10pro? Will I lose my BI settings if I do? Next I would like to be pointed in the direction on how to make my system more secure. I’m currently using port forwarding . Thank’s again
Read up on the VPN primer

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will not be able to install pro unless you pay for an upgrade. BI settings can be exported in the about tab. You need your key. Deactivate first.
use vpn..see vpn primer for noobs thread.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dude you are just not listening or reading...READ THE FIRST LINE OF THE ARTICLE. IT THEN GOES ON TO EXPLAIN HOW TO PREVENT LOSING YOUR LICENSE IF YOU PLAN ON MAKING SIGNIFICANT HARDWARE CHANGES...
I'm just trying to understand how this works. They refuse to explain where this digital license is stored.

disbjohn

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm just trying to understand how this works. They refuse to explain where this digital license is stored.
When you originally activate windows, Microsoft stores the info along with the original hardware. As long as no major changes the license is still valid

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Think!!!! It is stored on microsoft servers. It is based on unique identifiers of your motherboard.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
The insidious thing is that hard drives, CPUs, etc., now all contain embedded, and unique serial numbers. Software can read these serial numbers, and since pretty much any software these days "phones home", it is easy for the software companies to record these unique serial numbers and use them to "enforce" a software license.

Later, if you need to restore the software, it will be allowed automatically based on the serial numbers that have been recorded in the software company's database. This happens without you even knowing it. This is what will allow you to simply install a fresh Win 10 on a PC that formerly had it.

I've transferred Photoshop, back before it was a subscription model, and it looked at the serial number of the hard drive on which it was installed. If you moved to a different PC, or installed a new hard drive, you simply transferred the license to the new HDD serial no. It sounded spooky, but worked without a hitch.

Recently, I moved Blue Iris from one PC to another, and by following the procedure that BI recommended, that, too, went without any problems.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had never thought that Microsoft could find enough software-readable unique serial numbers in a pc to make this type of scheme work, but I guess there are plenty. They might use the motherboard's MAC address as the first lookup. I guess it is unique. Then validate it with several more matched serial numbers. (FENDERMAN -- I am very sorry for annoying you with this question.)

Last edited:

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Privacy and anonymity are pretty much things of the past. The unique serial numbers of processors, chipsets, MAC addresses, etc., as well as hard drives and the like fingerprint us and leave traceable evidence everywhere these days.

The upside is the ease with which we can usually re-load software or transfer software licenses as long as we have an active internet connection. And from the software makers' perspectives, it gives them better control and lets them keep everyone updated to whatever revisions they like more easily.

I remember one of those crime solving TV shows from years ago where the bad guy wrote some kind of note on a PC at his church, and the forensics folks traced the file to that exact PC and date and time based on embedded metadata within the MS Word file. So Word has been storing a record of this sort of unique ID data into its files for a very long time.

I guess you still have to wear rubber gloves as you cut characters out of a newspaper and paste them to a sheet of paper to make a good ransom note these days! ;)

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
an i7-6700 or an i5-8500 is way more than enough. The 8th gen processors are much more powerful than the 6th/7th.
HP Elitedesk 800 G2 SFF PC Core i7 6700 3.4ghz 8GB 500GB DVDRW *59 | eBay
windows 10 pro will load right up on that machine despite it saying no OS.
add a 250 ssd for 50 dollars.
If you want 2x3.5 drives you will need the tower version
I've never bought a PC from ebay. Are there preferred or known good vendors?

I would want the tower I have 2 x 8TB WD drives. Will the tower accommodate SSD + 2 x 3.5 drives?

How do you know win10 pro will load right up?

Can these machines accommodate 16GB RAM?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've never bought a PC from ebay. Are there preferred or known good vendors?
On Ebay you always want to look at the vendor with care. Has the seller sold a lot of pcs? Do they have a good 99%+ reputation? Are they located in a reasonable place? Do they carefully describe the item in detail? Are the shipping charges reasonable? Do they guarantee customer satisfaction?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a 15% coupon code on eBay until 8pm tonight. coupon code PICKFAST must be applied when paying using the mobile app, not via the website.

Last edited:

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wanted to close the loop on this and say thanks to all for the responses.

I’ve ordered a Dell i7-8700 win10pro from eBay that should arrive next week for exclusive BI use.

Before now, I would’ve never looked at eBay for a pc.

clyoul3ss

n3wb
Reaction score
Format the new WD purple as NTFS; if your SSD is C: drive then the new WD Purple will most likely be D: drive.
Put only the BI video clips ("New" and "Storage" folders in BI) on the WD purple, keep the BI program and the BI clip database ("db") on the SSD.

EDITED at 0949 to add: Go to BI "Options", "Clips & Archiving" to make changes to those drive letters and/or paths.
I did all this except I moved the "BI clip database" to the purple drive too so not to thrash my C drive. Why would you want to keep this DB on the SSD?

clyoul3ss

n3wb
Reaction score
I
Sorry to start another “what PC” thread, but didn’t want to hijack someone else’s or dig up an obsolete one.

ive read a lot of info here regarding what computer to use for BI. There always seems to be a sweet spot for price vs. performance.
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

I’d like a PC that will support h.265, as my cams all support this.

I’ve got, for now, 8 x 2MP IPC-HDW5231R-ZE AND 1 x 8MP IPC-HDW5831R-ZE cams. I might add up to 4 more cams. That is a total of 24 MP in service and another 8-32 MP future.

I would like Win10Pro for the OS and a SSD for the OS/BI. Is a 250 ssd good enough?

Low energy consumption is desirable.

Reading the above wiki and also many threads here, it sounds like a 6 core cpu is the way to go.

Is the number of threads important?

It also sounds like an i7 is the way to go.

What is the difference between an i7-8700 and a i7-8700K?

How much mem? Is 8GB really enough or would there be a benefit to more?

I would tend to prefer a more powerful machine over one that is merely good enough. Overhead is desirable.

Looking at Dell, it sounds like this spec machine (i7-8700, ssd, win10pro,16GB) is starting around $850 usd. Is this about right?

Is there a less powerful machine that would offer me plenty of power and headroom for my system that can be found at a better price point?[/QUO

I pieced together a system from parts I had laying around or got for free etc. I used a 2nd generation i5 and 10 gigs of ram. I'm running 2 cams and will eventually run 4 or 5. I think I'll be fine! Right now CPU usage is at 20%. There is a thread somewhere on here that shows how to optimize BI so it does not use a lot of CPU. This helped quite a bit.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did all this except I moved the "BI clip database" to the purple drive too so not to thrash my C drive. Why would you want to keep this DB on the SSD?
The DB is a small file and will not thrash anything. It should be on your quickest drive as per the developers recommendation for best performance.