New Blueiris camera box suggestions

1staaron

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm building a new dedicated blueiris camera box and was wondering if someone would look at the hardware before I buy it. I'm looking for suggestions on what's the best hardware setup to run a total of 12 cameras.

What I have found so far... I believe this is the best bang for my buck however. I looked at the high end Intel Core i9-10900K 10-Core 3.7 GHz LGA 1200 125W BX8070110900K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop Processor - Newegg.com) along with the ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING LGA2066 DDR4 M.2 USB 3.1 802.11 AC WI-FI X299 ATX Motherboard for Intel Core i9 and i7 X-Series Processors (ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING LGA 2066 802.11 AC ATX Motherboard for Intel Core i9 and i7 X-Series CPU - Newegg.com) that a friend recommended but i am not sure that little extra is worth the extra cash..... But I may be wrong, I'm still new at this however I don't mind spending the money for a quality product. What I don't want to do is save a few dollars and be stuck with something that I am not happy with.

I'm not looking for a debate that one product brand name is better, I'm just looking for some ideas on what I have already or suggestions on something different. Anything wound help

What I have read, regarding the blue iris recommended specifications is kind of straightforward but I think this would be a good place to start.

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX806849900K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630

ASUS Prime Z390-A LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4266 (PC4 34100) Intel Z270 / Z370 / X299 Desktop Memory Model F4-4266C19D-16GTZR

WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal SSD - SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5"/7mm Solid State Drive - WDS100T2B0A

WD Black 6TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD6003FZBX

My cameras are a mixture of the two models below. My current system kind of handles the cameras but she is getting old and with the upgraded cameras and audio, its really starting to push her to the max.

Hikvision New Original English version DS-2CD2185FWD-IS 8MP Network mini Dome Security CCTV Camera DS-2CD2185FWD-IS POE 30m IR H.265+ IP camera SD Card Slot Updatable, (8MP, 2.8 Fixed Lens, 1Pcs)

Darkfighter Hikvision DS-2CD2085G1-I 8MP (4K) IP Security Camera H.265+ WDR PoE

POE Switch ..... I currently own a few of these and they are connected

BV-Tech 8 Gigabit PoE+ Ports with 2 Enthernet Uplink, 130W, 802.3af/at POE-SW802G

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what is your expected MP/Sec for your load? With sub streams I am running at 10% on a very old i7-4790 for about 650 MP/S.

See some specs on actual systems, most of which are Not tuned for subsystems. Look if you see cameras using mp/s like 0.3 then the system may be using sub streams.

Last edited:

1st42a

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, the substream feature will be used mainly for viewing and the main will be used for recording

I’m reading more on it now.

1staaron

n3wb
Reaction score
what is your expected M/Sec for your load? With sub streams I am running at 10% on a very old i7-4790 for about 650 MP/S.

See some specs on actual systems, most of which are Not tuned for subsystems. Look if you see cameras using mp/s like 0.3 then the system may be using sub streams.

I'm running about 30 to 40 % on my 10 year old system that wasn't really designed to be a camera box. My old system still works but I'm having heat issues and the drives are smaller and that's why I am doing a new system.

1staaron

n3wb
Reaction score
It is recommended to use surveillance drives, like a WD Purple. They are designed to be writing 24/7.
Good call, I was reading about surveillance drives this morning and you are correct. The surveillance drives are the way to go,

Just incase anyone is following this post,,, this is the one I am looking at.

WD Purple WD82PURZ 8TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

1staaron

n3wb
Reaction score
yep, agreed with fenderman. best read that wiki before you buy. I can already see things to change out. let's see if you find them first :)

are you talking about the processor only being 8 core and not the 10 core ?

Reaction score
are you talking about the processor only being 8 core and not the 10 core ?
here is what i did: My new PC build for Blue Iris. Hopefully, my final build!
good move on the HD change out.
No need for a gaming motherboard. Remember, you are building a server, not a Ultimate Fortnite gaming computer. Get one that is more server oriented. No need for too fancy onboard audio or overclocking ability.
I know folks buy untested RAM for specific motherboards. I hate taking chances like that. Might have to fiddle with cpu voltages / frequency here or there. If you know how to tinker with CPU BIOS settings, no problem. Otherwise, stick with the QVL of the RAM manufacturer (tested motherboards).
Unless you plan to run 30+ cameras, i9/9900 is overkill. My i5-9600k runs nearly 20 cameras direct to disc without any issues leaving the CPU usage around 20-30% with the new substream options.
Buy a server case instead of desktop case. It looks cooler and has the option to either lay on desktop or bolted to future server rack/cabinet.
Since using onboard video and not an extreme video card, measure out how many watts you will use for power supply. I went on the lower end (430w) instead of something like 900w.
If you know how to do network setups with VLANs and all, great.....use single ethernet port. Otherwise, get an additional NIC card to have cameras/poe switch on it's own subnet.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

1staaron

n3wb
Reaction score
here is what i did: My new PC build for Blue Iris. Hopefully, my final build!
good move on the HD change out.
No need for a gaming motherboard. Remember, you are building a server, not a Ultimate Fortnite gaming computer. Get one that is more server oriented. No need for too fancy onboard audio or overclocking ability.
I know folks buy untested RAM for specific motherboards. I hate taking chances like that. Might have to fiddle with cpu voltages / frequency here or there. If you know how to tinker with CPU BIOS settings, no problem. Otherwise, stick with the QVL of the RAM manufacturer (tested motherboards).
Unless you plan to run 30+ cameras, i9/9900 is overkill. My i5-9600k runs nearly 20 cameras direct to disc without any issues leaving the CPU usage around 20-30% with the new substream options.
Buy a server case instead of desktop case. It looks cooler and has the option to either lay on desktop or bolted to future server rack/cabinet.
Since using onboard video and not an extreme video card, measure out how many watts you will use for power supply. I went on the lower end (430w) instead of something like 900w.
If you know how to do network setups with VLANs and all, great.....use single ethernet port. Otherwise, get an additional NIC card to have cameras/poe switch on it's own subnet.

I just looked over the specs for the ASRock Pro4 (your board) and the Asus Prime Z390 (my pick). They are almost identical to each other with a few variations . The Asus has a slightly higher rating but it looks like most of the ratings were people complaining about trivial stuff. However your board is $80.00 cheaper. So ....looks like I may save $80.00 and go with the ASRock board. The main reason is the bang for my buck. I cant find any reason why I would need to pay extra for the nearly the same board.

Do you worry that 430w is a little low .... Im not sure how true it is but I read an article that said to never go under 600 w. due to efficiency at max usage times. The more maxed a PSU is the less efficient it will be .... shrug

Reaction score
I just looked over the specs for the ASRock Pro4 (your board) and the Asus Prime Z390 (my pick). They are almost identical to each other with a few variations . The Asus has a slightly higher rating but it looks like most of the ratings were people complaining about trivial stuff. However your board is $80.00 cheaper. So ....looks like I may save $80.00 and go with the ASRock board. The main reason is the bang for my buck. I cant find any reason why I would need to pay extra for the nearly the same board.

Do you worry that 430w is a little low .... Im not sure how true it is but I read an article that said to never go under 600 w. due to efficiency at max usage times. The more maxed a PSU is the less efficient it will be .... shrug
do notice...because I put my motherboard into the server case I had, I went with min-atx. Keep that in mind with whatever case you use. I went with the Pro4 due to the QVL of matching to my G.Skill ripjaw RAM.

Reaction score

Knowing that I'll never put peripheral cards in the slots, the PSU can handle cpu, couple fans, motherboard activities.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone mentioned it already but DDR4 4266 is a bit excessive. Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G36C16U4RL (RED) - Newegg.com something like this would be a much better value. And don't forget to enable the XMP profile in the BIOS otherwise the higher speed won't even be used.\

This one has slightly worse latency but saves another $20: OLOy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 Desktop Memory - Newegg.com
ouch....I agree. Missed that earlier. As I said above Aaron...this is a server computer configuration, not gaming computer. Think like a diesel. Maybe more slower, but more torque where it counts!

1st42a

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok after several months of RMA issues on the board (first board was bad, 2nd board sent was the wrong one, third board was the correct one and working), I have the camera box up and running. I followed the recommendation above about the memory and couldn’t be more happier with the build. I’m currently running 9 hikvision 4K cameras (3 with audio) and 3 Lorex cameras. The cpu % is averaging around 30% with the occasional spike up to 60% for a few seconds and then back down. The Ram shows 50% most of the time. Overall I’m happy with no issues with the new build. My future plans will be to get rid of the Lorax cameras and replace them with something else. I’m not sure what the issue is with Lorex but they constantly turn off or I get the camera cannot be found thing. I temporarily replaced the three Lorex cameras with three cameras my neighbor was installing on his house and had zero issues with them. It must be a lorex issue but who knows.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I used an I9-9900K in my build before substreams was a thing. I think at the time of my build I probably had 18-19 cameras. Most were 4K and I was constantly running around 27-30% CPU usage. After enabling substreams, I'm normally showing between 0-2% with now a total of 24 cameras. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with something that uses a little less juice and puts out a little less heat since it's in a rack in my network closet.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok after several months of RMA issues on the board (first board was bad, 2nd board sent was the wrong one, third board was the correct one and working), I have the camera box up and running. I followed the recommendation above about the memory and couldn’t be more happier with the build. I’m currently running 9 hikvision 4K cameras (3 with audio) and 3 Lorex cameras. The cpu % is averaging around 30% with the occasional spike up to 60% for a few seconds and then back down. The Ram shows 50% most of the time. Overall I’m happy with no issues with the new build. My future plans will be to get rid of the Lorax cameras and replace them with something else. I’m not sure what the issue is with Lorex but they constantly turn off or I get the camera cannot be found thing. I temporarily replaced the three Lorex cameras with three cameras my neighbor was installing on his house and had zero issues with them. It must be a lorex issue but who knows.
Be sure you have completed everything in this: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk