New Build - Best Cam Positions (no room to later change)

IPSeb

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear all,

First post for me on this forum! For some time reading here a lot of info and also professionally did get some experience.
In my personal life I am currently building a house, which is quite large. As cams get better available (including price) and personal interest I am looking into preparing places for camera's.

The cameras to be used are the Hikvision Dome camera's which will be build in the roofing (so doing the right prep right now seems to be key as wiring and holes will not be replaced later on):
1643105410837.png1643105479608.png

Based on this I have tried to map out a complete house coverage. In general I have tried to view each dome with another cam.
Second is that I tried to use the 2.8 and not 4mm focal length (I can always go up if needed).
Last is that DORI is important for the identification, all sides (except CAM07) will have 12meter max length direct in range of the building.

All cams will be connected to LAN (own VLAN and POE powered). Imagery is recorded for some time on a NVR.
Some cameras in mind (no decision yet, however preference for hikvision):
  • DS-2CD2186G2-ISU(2.8mm)(C)
  • DS-2CD2186G2-ISU(4mm)(C)
  • DS-2CD2185G0-IMS(2.8mm)
Hope you pro's would mind to give me feedback about this potential solution:
  • Cam 1 (H=2.6meter): Front Door, entry of visitors, identification is key;
  • Cam 2 & 3 (H=2.6meter): Front facing of the house, observation and potentially recognition is key
  • Can 4 & 5 (H=2.6meter): Back side of the house, observation and potentially recognition is key
  • Cam 6 (H=2.6meter): Side door and small building/storage, identification is key;
  • Cam 7 (H=5.8meter): Back side of the house, observation and potentially recognistion is key
If you need more info, please let me know.

1643105126819.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dear all,

First post for me on this forum! For some time reading here a lot of info and also professionally did get some experience.
In my personal life I am currently building a house, which is quite large. As cams get better available (including price) and personal interest I am looking into preparing places for camera's.

The cameras to be used are the Hikvision Dome camera's which will be build in the roofing (so doing the right prep right now seems to be key as wiring and holes will not be replaced later on):
View attachment 116672View attachment 116673

Based on this I have tried to map out a complete house coverage. In general I have tried to view each dome with another cam.
Second is that I tried to use the 2.8 and not 4mm focal length (I can always go up if needed).
Last is that DORI is important for the identification, all sides (except CAM07) will have 12meter max length direct in range of the building.

All cams will be connected to LAN (own VLAN and POE powered). Imagery is recorded for some time on a NVR.
Some cameras in mind (no decision yet, however preference for hikvision):
  • DS-2CD2186G2-ISU(2.8mm)(C)
  • DS-2CD2186G2-ISU(4mm)(C)
  • DS-2CD2185G0-IMS(2.8mm)
Hope you pro's would mind to give me feedback about this potential solution:
  • Cam 1 (H=2.6meter): Front Door, entry of visitors, identification is key;
  • Cam 2 & 3 (H=2.6meter): Front facing of the house, observation and potentially recognition is key
  • Can 4 & 5 (H=2.6meter): Back side of the house, observation and potentially recognition is key
  • Cam 6 (H=2.6meter): Side door and small building/storage, identification is key;
  • Cam 7 (H=5.8meter): Back side of the house, observation and potentially recognistion is key
If you need more info, please let me know.

View attachment 116671
Welcome @IPSeb

In general:

1) Dome cameras are not the best option due to numerous issues outdoors .. recommend a turret style instead.
2) Most people new to this topic, place the cameras too high.
3) Most people new to this topic, do not install enough cameras.
4) Most new home constructions do no run enough cat6 lines ..

At the front door I like 2 cameras, one at face level .. and one watching the area so that I can see any package drops ( in the USA they like to drop the packages often by the front door )

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A 2.8mm or 4mm to IDENTIFY at 12m will not happen. You need at least 12mm focal length.

Suggest you buy one good varifocal and test it at each location.

Domes are not recommended outside unless it is well protected from the elements. The big issue is that the domes will hold onto water droplets much longer than a turret or bullet and thus any dirt on it can then become problematic. And during a rain event, the camera is basically blind...

1642783958478.png

The domes attract lots of dust. Then rain. Then dirty rain spots. Glare from all angles of the sun. Then over time the sun will "fog" the dome like a car headlight.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is a USA recommendation, other countries may not have a big crime problem

1) the front door needs three cameras, one doorbell camera pointing out, one pointing at the package drop area, one pointing back to the front door.
2) the garage entrance Needs two cameras pointing out mounted no higher than the top of the garage door. Each side of the door.
3) the inside of the garage need two cameras one point at the garage door and one point at the house entrance
4) each entrance to the house must be covered by a camera.
5) each camera must be covered by another camera, If i can destroy a camera it must be covered, recorded by another camera.
6) in my house all public areas inside are covered, kitchen, living room, dining room, halls, game room, den
7) all outside doors are covered by a camera inside, pointing out.
8) I currently do not have any license plate reader cameras, mounted near the street, but it is on the todo list.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - example of issues with a dome camera discussed here .. ( minor issues in this case, we've all seen much worse .. )