New cam, new user - some questions

DJRCB

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys

i purchased a couple hikvision cams (2cd2742fwd-izs) to install around the exterior on my house. i haven't used IP cams before so im new to the setup and configuration process. I have a QNAP pro nas, i was think of using the surveillance station (SS) app with these cams. i noticed that when search for the cams i can either use UDP/UPNP or ONVIF, which is the preferred method? Also, i can configure the cams via a web browser and also with the SS app, how should that be handled (do the setting have to match or does one take priorty over the over). lastly, the cams support local storage (microSD) can i use the SD card at the same time as recording to a DVR or my SS app?

my setup
Asus AC87r router/ap
trendnet tpe-1020ws smart switch POE+
qnap TS-469 pro
hikvision DS-2CD2742FWD-IZS (x2)

thank you for your time and help

regards
Roy

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
i noticed that when search for the cams i can either use UDP/UPNP or ONVIF, which is the preferred method?
The normal (best) method of adding IP cameras to QNAP Surveillance Station is to select the model from the drop-down list - after you have used the camera web GUI to set up and configured it on the LAN with a known, fixed IP address and set of ports and detailed configuration.

The DS-2CD2742FWD with firmware V5.3.6 build 151105 is on the QNAP SS compatibility list, so you should find it.
Be wary of the Hikvision firmware 5.5.0 or higher, which requires QNAP to change the model code and is looking like it's not compatible.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score