New computer build - Recommendations?

gr8scotto

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings!

Just joined, been lurking for some time. This will be my first foray into IP cameras, and I am going big. Well, OK, it feels big to me. Just ordered up the following:

7 x IPC-HDW5231R-Z
3 x IPC-HDW5431R-Z
2 x IPC-HFW5431E-Z5
2 x IPC-HDBW4231F-AS as indoor cams

I will have all this running thru a tp-link JetStream T1600-28PS POE switch with 192W available power budget. I'm running DD-WRT on my home router, so will isolate all this onto it's own subnet. Will do POE with Cat6 cable. No individual cable run should be beyond 100'.

So now I need to build a dedicated system to support the Blue Iris install. I've spent a bunch of time researching cameras, placement, POE, PPF, etc but have neglected the dedicated box part so far. The IPVM calculator has been a godsend, as has the excellent info put together by someone on the forum here in Word doc form. Would really appreciate some assistance, as I am officially on info overload.

Looking for recommendations on Processor/Mobo/RAM. Will do an SSD for the OS and large platters for the storage. And dual GB NIC for LAN. I could go up to $1K USD for the system (software excluded), but would like to keep it under if possible. Not opposed to going over if necessary. In perusing this subforum, I gather that I should be looking at an i7, but most of the threads I read seemed to be older and not sure if new processors have been released in the meantime that would change the recommendation. It's been a few years since I have built a from-scratch system so I have fallen behind in the latest/greatest.

One other note, this will go into a space that won't have the best airflow, so should I consider going liquid cooled? I could route the rad to a place with better airflow in theory. This will be in a basement, so in general it will be cooler at all times... maybe I shouldn't worry about that aspect? The closet it will reside in is 126 cubic feet in volume, but would rarely be opened.

Anything else I should consider (or reconsider)? I am married to the camera selection at this point (since I just paid the invoice to Andy), but could change out the switch if there is something about it that would be a boneheaded mistake.

Thanks in advance for the input

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One other note, this will go into a space that won't have the best airflow, so should I consider going liquid cooled? I could route the rad to a place with better airflow in theory. This will be in a basement, so in general it will be cooler at all times... maybe I shouldn't worry about that aspect? The closet it will reside in is 126 cubic feet in volume, but would rarely be opened.

Hi Gr8scotto,

Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Note:

1) A PC will generate more heat than an NVR
2) For equipment, airflow is very important - plan on idea on how to vent the closet. I would rather see you invest in a this than spending the money on a liquid cooling for the PC.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont build...see threads about optiplex/elitedesk/precision systems...you can get an i7-6700/7700 for 450-600....
no need to liquid cool...modern pc's run very cool...you wont have any problems in a closet..

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Gr8scotto

Right now Dell Outlet has 20% off some XPS models and one model Inspiron up to an I7-7700 for some models. $50 for Optiplex.

gr8scotto

n3wb
Reaction score
Great info, thanks folks!

I will look into venting the closet, there may be a way to do it.

I read a bunch on the systems fenderman suggested, thanks for that. I'll look into the Dell outlet deal too.

gr8scotto

n3wb
Reaction score
There is an XPS 8920 with 460W chassis, i7-7700 for $620, or a Optiplex 3668 240W chassis, also i7-7700 for $720. Both seem to have HDD only, so I would have to add an SSD.

Should I be staying away from the XPS? Or is that a legit deal?

Would I get additional off if I talk to rep?

Thanks!

Edit to add: the Optiplex has one 16GB stick of DDR4, the XPS has two 4GB sticks for a total of 8GB DDR4. I'm guessing that accounts for most of the price difference.

Last edited:

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Inspiron 3668 is $702 without 20% off. The price is $576 with discount not a bad price I would guess.

gr8scotto

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah you're right, it is an Inspiron not an Optiplex. On the phone will Dell outlet now...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great info, thanks folks!

Hi gr8scotto,

I will look into venting the closet, there may be a way to do it.

I read a bunch on the systems fenderman suggested, thanks for that. I'll look into the Dell outlet deal too.
FYI - this is what i am finishing up on.

You may not need the fans, and perhaps your closet is cool enough - if more than 80 degrees I would take the time to cut a vent hole at the top to allow better air flow out. You can make it look fairly nice.

Attachments