New Computer for Blue Iris

erick85

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!

Quick question. I'm in the process of setting up a camera system for the first time. I've been reading through this site for a while now and am now ready to pull the trigger. I've read the Wiki multiple times and have a decent idea of where I'm going to go with things. My plan now is to purchase a computer and use Blue Iris. My plan right now is for up to 12 cameras. Really, 8 would probably be sufficient, but I want to be able to add more without any issues if the need/want arises. I doubt I would go above 8MP for the cameras and in all likelihood, probably not go above 4MP. My question is, what processor should I be looking at? I've searched from the suggested models on the Wiki and was looking at either an i7-6700, i5-6600 or i7-4790. These prices are ranging from $150 to over $300 on eBay. I did find an i5-8500 with decent RAM, Win10 Pro and an SSD at about right in the middle of those prices. My question is, will that handle up to 12 cameras? Using the MP/s calculator, I should be fine. Everything I've read says yes, and probably better than the 3 I listed, but I want to make sure before I buy it. What are other things I should be looking at? Also, if I forgot to include anything, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Erick

erick85

n3wb
Reaction score
Annnnd... I realized I probably need to give more computer info....

HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF, 256GB SDD, 32GB RAM, i5-8500

Thanks

Erick

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
look at these web sites
============================

Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris
Blue Iris Update Helper
PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - CPU Mega Page - Detailed List of Benchmarked CPUs
====================================

The most import thing on BI is MP/Sec. Really not the number of cameras . a 2MP camera at 8FPS, is completely different from a 8MP at 20 FPS. With the Intel hardware video processing (QUICKSYNC) and the new BI advances in using SUBSTREAM, has reduced the need for a big powerful CPU. Also the use of some of the better camera AI functions will reduceBI CPU load. BUT if you are using the newly supported DEEPSTACK you will need a more powerful CPU.

I have a i7-4790 that supports 16 cameras at 700 MP/SEC without deepstack, it runs at less than 20%.

On a standalone dedicated BI system with under 1500 MP/sec and 16 cameras only needs 16 GB memory, A SSD does not need to be bigger than 250 GB. You need at least one 4GB WD purple disk drive to start. I do NOT recommend small cases, for system growth you may need additional disk drives,

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Annnnd... I realized I probably need to give more computer info....

HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF, 256GB SDD, 32GB RAM, i5-8500

Thanks

Erick
That PC is great for BI and 12 cams... just put Win 10, BI and the BI "db" folder on the SSD, video clips on a surveillance-rated HDD such as a WD Purple.
Be sure to optimize per the Wiki and utilize BI's handling of sub-streams and your CPU should not struggle at all.

erick85

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you both. I did forget to include that I would add a WD Purple HDD, probably 4TB.

I have not seen deepstack, so I will need to research that.

I appreciate the feedback.

Reaction score
Consider that as time goes on, your 4TB drive may not hold as much video as you would like. As you gain experience with using BI and cams, you will probably find that additional cams will be installed. If you are planning to only record on triggers, you probably should reconsider recording 24/7 continuous. See the linked thread below.

You need to determine how long you want to store video. A few days? A couple of weeks? More than a month? For me I really need about 6-7 weeks since we are on the road for 5-6 weeks several times a year. I do not always have the option of reviewing and saving clips remotely. So the 6-7 weeks gives me a chance to work that issue when I return.

The typical SFF case usually does not have more than one HDD slot. So that is something to consider.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The specs show 1-2.5” internal bay and 2-3.5” internal bays. The 2-3.5 bays should cover 2 HDD’s correct?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WD Purples only come in 3.5", not 2.5" (unless new tech has been done).
Be forewarned...the SFF motherboard probably has that lower wattage CPU (example: i5-8500u? t? I forget...but should come in around 65 watts). Which means, less horsepower than your standard desktop motherboard. Um...maybe...10-15% less? Not a big deal to some, big deal to others.

erick85

n3wb
Reaction score
Based on what I’m seeing, it’s the 8500, not the 8500t. You are correct, the WD Purple drives are 3.5”. I was just saying there is room to expand slightly if needed, with the 2 3.5” bays, not that they’d go in the 2.5” slot. Apologies if I wasn’t clear (very possible as I’ve been either on calls for work all day, working staring at a computer screen or reading up on the system differences….. my eyes and brain are tired).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For FWIW, I just bought an i7 4770 with 16gb, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD for sized tower for $180 and with my DeepStack set up and 4 x 8 mp cameras at 15fps mostly idles at 1% CPU and like 15% RAM usage. I plan to add 3 more cameras to it, 4MP each. I don't expect a big spike. Be sure to sure the optimization guidelines... Substreams are the real game changer!

Question for others... BI recommends at least 7200 RPM drives... The older WD Purples that are real affordable are like 5200 RPMs... Anyone running these and has any problems with it?

Thanks and good luck OP!