new custom home desired setup and questions

tolnep

n3wb
Reaction score
i am helping my brother in law who is a builder with configuring his new custom home. at my house i run blue iris, a number of cameras on POE that i wired and configured myself, including vpn setup and network administration. that is my background.

what my btw wants is a series of outside cameras which i've pretty much got covered. what is turning out to be questionable is a doorbell camera. what we'd like is a POE doorbell camera, POE (hardwired not WIFI) integrated with blue IRIS, not some cloud based solution. It should be able to trigger on motion in area, be viewable on demand be able to continuously record and provide two-way communication like ring and similar.

i dont want to say price is no object but i'd prefer to 'buy-once', 'cry-once'. so far none of the more common results I have found meet all those requirements except perhaps an AXIS device but i have not been able to find out much about the AXIS solutions. I do realize the AXIS solutions are more expensive than other more common systems.

i assume i could have something like a Ring and and a normal hikvision or similar camera and use the hikvision (or similar) for motion detection and continuous viewing and have the Ring provide the doorbell function. i would prefer though not to go this route.

personally i do not have a doorbell camera. i do have camera monitored entree ways with motion detection using blue iris.

thanks for any help and/or suggestions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i am helping my brother in law who is a builder with configuring his new custom home. at my house i run blue iris, a number of cameras on POE that i wired and configured myself, including vpn setup and network administration. that is my background.

what my btw wants is a series of outside cameras which i've pretty much got covered. what is turning out to be questionable is a doorbell camera. what we'd like is a POE doorbell camera, POE (hardwired not WIFI) integrated with blue IRIS, not some cloud based solution. It should be able to trigger on motion in area, be viewable on demand be able to continuously record and provide two-way communication like ring and similar.

i dont want to say price is no object but i'd prefer to 'buy-once', 'cry-once'. so far none of the more common results I have found meet all those requirements except perhaps an AXIS device but i have not been able to find out much about the AXIS solutions. I do realize the AXIS solutions are more expensive than other more common systems.

i assume i could have something like a Ring and and a normal hikvision or similar camera and use the hikvision (or similar) for motion detection and continuous viewing and have the Ring provide the doorbell function. i would prefer though not to go this route.

personally i do not have a doorbell camera. i do have camera monitored entree ways with motion detection using blue iris.

thanks for any help and/or suggestions.
axis has an 800 dollar doorbell.
Your biggest issue is going to be two way audio. The blue iris app requires a very good connection for talk to function properly - and I dont even know if it will work with the axis doorbell.

Kendive

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @tolnep

Drop 3 cat6 cables to the front door area... plan one day to find a good video intercom doorbell device - for now the tech in this space seems to be rapidly evolving - so good cabling for the future products coming out imho is the way to go.
Yea I don't get this door bell thing. If you are that worried about your front door I would add three or more direct wired cameras looking at ever angle.

My parents in VA have that Kuna setup in the porch light and other places. I think they pay 100 a year for cloud service but I was pretty impressed on what is captures. Of course it's Wifi and uses AC power and mounts where a light would be. I would not have one but for them it works well.

I'm a dedicated NVR/DVR type.

I have cameras watching over every gun safe in the house. LOL

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yea I don't get this door bell thing. If you are that worried about your front door I would add three or more direct wired cameras looking at ever angle.

My parents in VA have that Kuna setup in the porch light and other places. I think they pay 100 a year for cloud service but I was pretty impressed on what is captures. Of course it's Wifi and uses AC power and mounts where a light would be. I would not have one but for them it works well.

I'm a dedicated NVR/DVR type.

I have cameras watching over every gun safe in the house. LOL

Hi @Kendive

A lot of people are not fully clear of what is needed and are sold on various cloud products which fail to deliver 100% of what their products promise.

A video doorbell - for both view and live intercom / talking is useful. Though imho it should not be considered a replacement to any security cameras at the front door area - but an augmentation of a good security camera setup.

Thorvald

n3wb
Reaction score
I wonder what this costs and how it compares to the axis: H4 Video Intercom | Avigilon -
Similar in price (depends on how nice dealer is to you) but it cannot be mounted on a mullion like the Axis unit can (but the Axis unit sticks out pretty far and is kinda ugly mounted this way). The H4 unit flush mounts nicely and is pleasing to the eye (but it’s quite large and is built like a bloody tank). Axis currently has way more features however, still waiting for more features from the H4 unit (and support for their mobile app).