New Dahua NVRs?

rouzbeh

n3wb
Reaction score
Any experience in the forum regarding the new Dahua NVRs, such as NVR5416-EI?

Is it worth extra money comparing to NVR4416-4KS2/I series?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an NVR5x-I series, the '-EI' is current generation.
Certainly the 5 series is nicer than the 4 series.

Naming convention: e.g. NVR5416-16P-EI
= Series 5
4 = Number of HDDs
16 = Number of channels
-16P = 16 local POE ports
-E/I = (Something about AI functions...? or type in the series? I don't know how to word that)

It is a nice NVR.
the main feature is having the NVR processes different AI function on the NVR, rather than requiring the camera to do this processing.
Such as; facial recognition and line crossing.

There is limits,
Usually facial recognition by NVR processing is limited to 2 channels and IVS (line cross, cross region) by NVR processing is limited to 4 channels.
These limits do not exist if your camera supports the AI function.
1684581228409.png

Why do I think it is good:
It means non-Dahua cameras can have line cross detection or facial recognition.

Is it worth the money?
I don't know your exact circumstances.
I bought my NVR for very cheap, about the same cost as two 6TB HDDs.
It seems they sell for ~$1,200USD. That is a lot of money for not many features that a VMS and well built PC can give you.
If an 'all-in-one' solution is what you're after then it may be worth it.

Sanj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I'm also looking to purchase the EI series but I was wondering if they can support 4k or 8MP cameras. i notice that it doesnt show it as being supported. only 1080p gets recorded. Am i interpreting the features correctly?
its either NVR5208-8P-EI or the NVR4208-8P-4KS2/L
I have four existing cameras all 2mp, but i am looking to buy 2 more cameras that are 8mp.

I would like to make use of better searching techniques using AI without having to use AI cameras. Which NVR would be recommended.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi I'm also looking to purchase the EI series but I was wondering if they can support 4k or 8MP cameras. i notice that it doesnt show it as being supported. only 1080p gets recorded. Am i interpreting the features correctly?
its either NVR5208-8P-EI or the NVR4208-8P-4KS2/L
I have four existing cameras all 2mp, but i am looking to buy 2 more cameras that are 8mp.

I would like to make use of better searching techniques using AI without having to use AI cameras. Which NVR would be recommended.
You are probably looking at 'decoding' ability.

Decoding ability is the maximum resolution it can handle to show on the NVR's HDMI/VGA output.
Most NVR's HDMI is limited to 4k (8MP).
Hence, 1ch @ 8MP, 4ch @4MP.
Because 4 * 4MP gives the same effective resolution as 8mp.

'Incoming bandwidth' is the biggest one to be concerned of.
This is the maximum amount of data per second from all cameras.
A typical 4MP camera in H.265 is up to around ~15mb/s (dependant on how much motion your camera has as to how much data) .

NVR5x - EL has AI built into the NVR, but this is not all channels. It's useful when most of your cameras have AI but there is a few older ones which do not have AI.
NVR5x - 4KS2/L does not have built in AI, this relies on the camera's own AI.

Welcome to IPCT @Sanj , I'm in the big city of NZ.

Sanj

n3wb
Reaction score
Excellent thanks for pointing this out, i should have read the actual spec sheets instead of the comparison table on the dahua site.
it was a bit deceiving as it mentioned that the 4kS2/L could do 2ch@4K/8ch@1080P, while the EL could do 32ch@1080P

Really appreciate your help Mark
also does anyone have a youtube link showing the user interface and an example of the AI searching functionality of the EI... ie look for red shirt or red car, etc.

Thanks for the welcome. NZ seems to be feeling more unsafe than usual, especially when living in the lower socioeconomic regions in Auckland. However I think its expected when inflation is high everywhere.... Cameras are a must.

I have been using a very old dahua dumb nvr for almost 9 years 24/7 and it hasn't skipped a beat, besides the fan getting noisy, but a $20 RS components order fixed that.
I'm a fan of Dahua in this regard but looking to upgrade after finding the time taken to search for events a pain. This AI recognition stuff is fascinating.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
it was a bit deceiving as it mentioned that the 4kS2/L could do 2ch@4K/8ch@1080P, while the EL could do 32ch@1080P
32ch @ 1080P is probably a 32ch NVR.... way bigger than the 8ch one you're looking at!

also does anyone have a youtube link showing the user interface and an example of the AI searching functionality of the EI... ie look for red shirt or red car, etc.
I have a previous generation of these AI NVRs (NVR5x-I, made in 2020).
I'll have to record something for you and private message it to you.

Sanj

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow that's quite gracious of you, please only do so if you have the time.
I found lots of videos of setting up the NVR and adding cameras as well as general unboxing and reviews. But I was unable to see an example of the AI search being used which is essentially the reason that someone would want these features.

Currently the deal I have is either purchasing the NVR5208-8P-EI for NZD$960 (USD$583) or the NVR4208-8P-4KS2/L NZD$550 (USD$332)
so essentially for the extra NZD$400 (USD$243) I'm getting AI functions built into the NVR which shall negate the need to get higher priced AI cameras.
How are those prices compared to what people paying in their countries. - usually NZ pays higher prices due to the shipping and GST.