new Dahua System recommendation

Lucian

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a current AMCREST 4k system. It has its issues but for the money and I happy and it is fit for purpose.

I have to replace a few cameras ( It is still cabled) so I thought I would bite the bullet and install some Cat6 at the existing camera site.

I am looking at the Amcrest 4K UltraHD Video Security Camera System with 4K 16-Channel PoE NVR, (8) x 4K Bullet IP PoE Cameras, 9-Port PoE+ Switch with Gigabit Uplink, (Supports up to 6TB) (Black) but would like DAHUA OEM version,

The $1400 price point for the NVR and 8 cameras looks reasonable.

Criteria

1. Blue Iris compatible
2. 16 channels (though I will use)
3. 8 camera package with the 8 MP capability ( any combination of bullet and dome)

Thanks for any recommendations. I learned so much on this forum ( thanks fenderman) that I think I can do it all myself.

Lucian

Lucian

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation. That does make sense. I currently have the
AMDV4M16 and use that in conjunction with Blue Iris. I know it is not totally rational. I spend a fair amount of time aware from the house and inevitably Windows will update and shut down the computer. But I can then still use the DVR remote viewing( although Amcrest has a constant problem of not accepting passwords remotely when outside of the LAN).

I do use a mix of cameras. There are some spots of the house where i want high resolution and others where I like the low light sensitivity. But a good reminder and I read the "cliff notes" again.

Thanks again
LP

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation. That does make sense. I currently have the
AMDV4M16 and use that in conjunction with Blue Iris. I know it is not totally rational. I spend a fair amount of time aware from the house and inevitably Windows will update and shut down the computer. But I can then still use the DVR remote viewing( although Amcrest has a constant problem of not accepting passwords remotely when outside of the LAN).

I do use a mix of cameras. There are some spots of the house where i want high resolution and others where I like the low light sensitivity. But a good reminder and I read the "cliff notes" again.

Thanks again
LP
Setup properly, windows will not update and cause the computer to shut down.
What version of windows are you using?
My BI machine, has ran continuously for over 90 days at times, frequently.

Lucian

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am using windows 10. We also have occasional power failures but I changed the settings in the BIOS and I use splashtop to log in remotely. Granted it only happened 2 or 3 times in the past year. Of course, it is usually doing a storm or somtehing and this is when you really want to check in. I have also experienced blue iris running continuously for extended periods. I followed all the instructions here and the Dell refurb 17 works great.

Reaction score
I'm not finding that camera IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS available at Andy's store. Is there a current equivalent, "go-to" cam?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not finding that camera IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS available at Andy's store. Is there a current equivalent, "go-to" cam?
Looks like his AliExpress store has four left at the moment:
US $125.0 5% OFF|IPC HDW2231R ZS 2MP Starlight IR Eyeball Network Camera 2.7~13.5mm varifocal lens IPC HDW2231R ZS ,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

14 on his US Amazon store:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DRC93S8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vWgVCb0EAKQD4

The 2231 and 5231s are still current models. If they don’t show for you, I’d send him an email (or start a PM on the forum) and he’ll get you some.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a current AMCREST 4k system. It has its issues but for the money and I happy and it is fit for purpose.

I have to replace a few cameras ( It is still cabled) so I thought I would bite the bullet and install some Cat6 at the existing camera site.

I am looking at the Amcrest 4K UltraHD Video Security Camera System with 4K 16-Channel PoE NVR, (8) x 4K Bullet IP PoE Cameras, 9-Port PoE+ Switch with Gigabit Uplink, (Supports up to 6TB) (Black) but would like DAHUA OEM version,

The $1400 price point for the NVR and 8 cameras looks reasonable.

Criteria

1. Blue Iris compatible
2. 16 channels (though I will use)
3. 8 camera package with the 8 MP capability ( any combination of bullet and dome)

Thanks for any recommendations. I learned so much on this forum ( thanks fenderman) that I think I can do it all myself.

Lucian
Welcome @Lucian

FYI - those Amcrest cameras at times do go on sale on Amazon for about $90-100 each, once I managed to pick up one lower with a crazy coupon stacking on a Amazon lighting deal.

I would recommend taking some time to see your options before jumping on that particular kit at that price point.

If you're planning to go the Blue Iris route skip that kit and just pickup cameras, there's some nice reviews here on IPCT on various models worth checking out.

Here's a new 8MP camera model with 2 reviews to check out
Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera
Sharing My Thoughts on My IPC-HFW2831T-ZS Cams After 6 Weeks With Them

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks like his AliExpress store has four left at the moment:
US $125.0 5% OFF|IPC HDW2231R ZS 2MP Starlight IR Eyeball Network Camera 2.7~13.5mm varifocal lens IPC HDW2231R ZS ,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

14 on his US Amazon store:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DRC93S8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vWgVCb0EAKQD4

The 2231 and 5231s are still current models. If they don’t show for you, I’d send him an email (or start a PM on the forum) and he’ll get you some.
Well....alrighty. Thank you, don't know what I thought I was or wasn't seeing the other day.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Lucian

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome @Lucian

FYI - those Amcrest cameras at times do go on sale on Amazon for about $90-100 each, once I managed to pick up one lower with a crazy coupon stacking on a Amazon lighting deal.

I would recommend taking some time to see your options before jumping on that particular kit at that price point.

If you're planning to go the Blue Iris route skip that kit and just pickup cameras, there's some nice reviews here on IPCT on various models worth checking out.

Here's a new 8MP camera model with 2 reviews to check out
Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera
Sharing My Thoughts on My IPC-HFW2831T-ZS Cams After 6 Weeks With Them

Lucian

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I have been using Blue IRIS with the old DVR. Based on the recommendations here, I purchased a POE switch and added a few POE cams to my existing Blue setup Iris andboth cams work great. I added tje DAHUA cam from Andy and it also works great. It took a bit of work to change the IP but I finally figured out.

i compaed a Hikvision, Amcrest and Dahua POE and the Dahua seems to be the best.

So it will just take a while to rut the new wiring with CAT-6 and replace the original coax.

Thanks again. The Dahua cam model below is what I purchased. It wasn't much more that the Amcrest and does a great job

IPC-HDW2231R-ZS

Last edited: