new from TX

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
@catcamstar

I have never set up site2site vpn, so i did not recommend it. That may be a better solution.
I still would recommend one BI per site to reduce the traffic load, just me.
That would be, to me, a good solution, or have BI setup that (for example) snapshots are uploaded "cross-site", so one can easily view important scenes without accessing anything from the remote site. Cross-site-snapshotting. If one site goes down (communication line, power, .. ) these snapshots are still available at the main site.

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
CameraLayout.jpg View attachment 42390 @catcamstar @SouthernYankee @bp2008 and @fenderman

I'm stuck on my design for the Shop in my attached Diagram. I have line of site from the [Office] to the [Shop] using Ubiquiti NanoBeams. The Shop is a metal building no air conditioning and of course the temps get 100+ degrees during the summer so putting a switch in the building would not work with the high temps. Installing one camera is not hard with Ubiquit's NanoStation (pic attached) but I need to get 4 to 6 cameras installed at my Shop. How can one accomplish this? Thank You

Attachments

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi fenster,

your image gets weird in black and whitish, can't read anything, sorry!

How it looks here:

Did you try putting your coordinates in IPVM Camera Calculator V3 and put some cams there?

Thanks!
CC

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
7BABE9F1-30F5-446B-9923-37E212A59E01.jpeg 7BABE9F1-30F5-446B-9923-37E212A59E01.jpeg If you open the image in its own tab or window by clicking pop out button next the [X] at the top right it will be normal. However I will update that image for y’all

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
The issue with the image is that the background is transparent.
Hahaha lol, that joke was transparent enough :p

@fenster: your drawing does not help me: are all of the cams placed "outdoor"? Then it might help to draw "doors" and "windows", as most burglars cannot run through walls. However, if you have single floor buildings, you should eliminate blind spots are some of the more athletic pino's are climbing up from such a blind spot, and may enter your buildings from a light corridor/roof window. That's why IPCT advices the IPVM calculator: you can see the field-of-view of the cams, to verify if you will run into blind spots (especially around doors/windows) and verify your required DORI distances. As a general rule of thumb: where cam-A's field of view "ends", there should be a starting field of view from another cam-B. And if you are really paranoid, you could make sure that each cam sees another cam (to verify if someone is breaking it down). But watch out that the IR beams are not blinding each other. All depends on the "what" you want to see, versus the "how much money" you want to "invest" in it.

Hope this helps!
CC

fenster

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ha thats funny @tangent

I fixed my little diagram and re-uploaded it in the post above. appreciate the feedback @catcamstar ... I was looking more for help on how to get the cameras connected in my shop not so much on the views and direction of the cameras yet. You are a step ahead of me :)

any thoughts on the connectivity ?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Sure, can you put a "legend" under your drawing (eg. how much meter/feet between the buildings) and indicate obstacles (pylone, trees, powerlines, ... )

You already indicated the "nanobeam", which suggests wifi. But if you are in for some digging, pulling a (ground resistant) wire might be a valid alternative. Again, all depends on $$, feasibility, doability and creativity :)

Good luck!
CC

G. Belli

n3wb
Reaction score
Ha thats funny @tangent

I fixed my little diagram and re-uploaded it in the post above. appreciate the feedback @catcamstar ... I was looking more for help on how to get the cameras connected in my shop not so much on the views and direction of the cameras yet. You are a step ahead of me :)

You already state you use (will use?) a NanoBeam to connect the shop to another building, but you need something to connect and power the cameras. Since you're already using Ubiquiti I'll suggest the NanoSwitch:

Ubiquiti Networks - NanoSwitch™

Weatherproof and rated to work at high temperatures, is PoE powered and can power three devices.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
@catcamstar i finally got my thoughts organized for [SITE A] and made a new post on the camera installation questions area here
Camera Placements and Type of Cameras Feedback for my project

Hope that clears up any confusion
Thanks
Hi @fenster, I'll have a detailed look in the afternoon. My first impression is that you have picked very large FOV cams, but I might be wrong. Plus if someone dives in over the neighbor fence (SouthWest in your picture), you don't see them coming.