New guy trying to figure out which Dahua model to buy

Reaction score
I’m Doubt I’ll need more than 8 cameras in my lifetime . This is for my home , and I am in the process of buying two 4 megapixel Dahua cameras with the 1/1.8” sensor in them.
I believe in the software you can have motion trigger an event to record , so that may factor into things .

I’m wondering which model the members here favour . Originally I was thinking an 8 channel with a 2T capacity, but maybe 8T would be better if you’d like to review daily motion .

I’m seeing some major price discrepancies at Amazon.ca as usual . I am in Canada and will be buying my cameras from Empiretecandy , so maybe I should enquire about an NVR also .
Dealing across the border may make warranty more problematic though.

I should mention it would be nice to have an nvr that will work with 4K cameras in the future ,and record 25 frames per second at full res .
Any recommendations under $1000 Canadian for a Dahua NVR.

This one didn’t get a very good review from one customer. I doubt you can base it on that though .

https://www.amazon.ca/Dahua-NVR4208-8P-4K-Channel-Network-Recorder/dp/B01C63QXUO/ref=sr_1_2?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8uqPvcmj4wIVyB6tBh1e4wtfEAAYASAAEgICr_D_BwE&hvadid=208289392071&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9001454&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=5092034492464465352&hvtargid=kwd-296892939269&hydadcr=4519_9156528&keywords=dahua+nvr&qid=1562528934&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m Doubt I’ll need more than 8 cameras in my lifetime . This is for my home , and I am in the process of buying two 4 megapixel Dahua cameras with the 1/1.8” sensor in them.
I believe in the software you can have motion trigger an event to record , so that may factor into things .

I’m wondering which model the members here favour . Originally I was thinking an 8 channel with a 2T capacity, but maybe 8T would be better if you’d like to review daily motion .
Hi @MajorTendonitis

If you're looking for a NVR definitely drop Andy a line. I picked up a NVR5216-16P-4KS2x from him, and he shipped it quickly. I like the 5xxx model a bit better, more performance in it. Also, do check on the max size HDD you can put in the 4xxx models - some reported it maybe only 6TB HDD here in various threads on it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply . I was curious as to what improvements the 5x models have over the 4 ?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply . I was curious as to what improvements the 5x models have over the 4 ?
Hi @MajorTendonitis

Most important to me was the processor power. iirc there are other aspects also - sometimes IVS functionality was removed from some firmware of the 4xxx series - not certain if that is still the case.

When looking at the spec sheets - look at how much bandwidth the NVR can process.

Reaction score
While we’re on the subject of Dahua NVRs , I’ve noticed a few complaints about fan noise . I seen a replacement fan,and it seemed rather small, which is prone to noise as they usually have a higher rpm. This day and age you’d think manufacturers would know this and incorporate a larger slow moving fan .
My rack where it will be mounted is in the basement below the adjoining room . I live in a small house , 865 sqft,so I’m hoping I’m not going to hear it

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While we’re on the subject of Dahua NVRs , I’ve noticed a few complaints about fan noise . I seen a replacement fan,and it seemed rather small, which is prone to noise as they usually have a higher rpm. This day and age you’d think manufacturers would know this and incorporate a larger slow moving fan .
My rack where it will be mounted is in the basement below the adjoining room . I live in a small house , 865 sqft,so I’m hoping I’m not going to hear it
HI @MajorTendonitis

Yes, the pizza sized boxes do make some more noise than larger boxes..

I have a newer Dell Optiplex ( gen 6 intel chip ) that is super quiet - perhaps a PC + PoE switch would be better?

Reaction score
HI @MajorTendonitis

Yes, the pizza sized boxes do make some more noise than larger boxes..

I have a newer Dell Optiplex ( gen 6 intel chip ) that is super quiet - perhaps a PC + PoE switch would be better?
Never thought of going with a computer . I have no idea how reliable a computer would be , crashing and all.
Not sure if they use different software like Linux ? If it was Microsoft,it would spend most of its time taking new updates.

I also didn’t know you could mix nvrs with different camera manufacturers. My thinking was for reliability you’d want to use the same gear in conjunction with each other

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Never thought of going with a computer . I have no idea how reliable a computer would be , crashing and all.
Not sure if they use different software like Linux ? If it was Microsoft,it would spend most of its time taking new updates.

I also didn’t know you could mix nvrs with different camera manufacturers. My thinking was for reliability you’d want to use the same gear in conjunction with each other
HI @MajorTendonitis

Remember to check out the cliff notes, a lot of this is covered there.

General rule - use the same OEM for the NVR and cameras.

You can also use VMS software on a PC.
OEMs make software that works well with their cameras ( Dahua SmartPSS, Hikvision IVMS-4200 )
Blue Iris is a popular 3rd party VMS software that runs on a Windows PC - see the Blue Iris section for more discussion on this option.

Reaction score
I’m going to make this far to complicated,so I think I’ll stay on subject and try to figure out which Dahua nvr to use .
I’ll see if I can’t get a hold of Andy

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m going to make this far to complicated,so I think I’ll stay on subject and try to figure out which Dahua nvr to use .
I’ll see if I can’t get a hold of Andy
Check the specs on the NVR5216-16P-4KS2 and the NVR5208-8P-4KS2