New hikvision nvr won't boot

Erock

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been following this forum for a while, and I finally pulled the trigger on my setup. I picked up a hikvision 7600 series nvr and a 4to western digital purple drive as well as a couple hikvision cameras.

The issue I'm having is that on first boot the nvr monitor is blank (no signal detected), and then I get three long and two short beeps. Looking this up that beep code says my HD isn't detected, I've tried different sata cables and checking the power cables, but I get the same result. I emailed the seller of the nvr and they told me I need to format the hard drive to "make the beeping stop", but I was under the impression that the HD should be formatted via the nvr's control panel, which doesn't boot. I'm waiting on word back from the seller, and will be taking the drive to work with me so I can format it there / test the drive, and try again.

Question is, does an HD need to be formatted by a third party machine before being installed in the nvr? Or is this nvr DOA?

Thank you, -Erik

Erock

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Vincent55 for the quick reply. I also have a 'HIKVISION DS-7616NI-E2/8P'.

I am at work right now and have the HD hooked up to a drive caddy on my windows 7 machine, and in disc management I am seeing the HD, but it is reporting the drive as 1.6tb rather than 4tb.. So, I am thinking the drive logic has some issues..

but to be sure; My Next Question: If the NVR is booted without a working HD, does the monitor show the control panel, or does it just beep at you while the monitor reports 'no signal'?

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
The monitor will always display NVR relevant information, how would you format the drive otherwise OR if the drive failed how would you know ?? a blank monitor wouldnt be very usefull

At the outset of what you have described it really sounds like you have been sold 2 duff pieces of hardware... you say a monitor is connected, is that a PC monitor or TV ?? it is possible the NVR is set for one or the other to be connected and if you have both options sods law dictates you just have the wrong one plugged in

Erock

n3wb
Reaction score
It is an old computer monitor hooked up via an hdmi to dvi-d cable. I can try a different monitor via hdmi to hdmi cable in 45 min when I go home for lunch.

So, @hiky, to be clear you are saying that if I do not have any HD installed in the NVR and I hook it up to a monitor, it should show something/anything on the screen?

Last edited by a moderator:

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Peeeep peeeep peeeep pip pip...

No hard drive found/hard drive not formatted. The NVR will show image if properly connected, either using HDMI or VGA. Usa a proper monitor/cable (by default these units do not even come at 1920x1080 output resolution, just in case you happen to connect it to a monitor that is not full HD).

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
Peeeep peeeep peeeep pip pip...

No hard drive found/hard drive not formatted. The NVR will show image if properly connected, either using HDMI or VGA. Usa a proper monitor/cable (by default these units do not even come at 1920x1080 output resolution, just in case you happen to connect it to a monitor that is not full HD).
Actually thats 100% correct, you just reminded me, i installed a system a while ago, the TV was HD but old HD and not full 1080, the client had to purchase a new Tv so they could see the NVR output, i would say that is your problem, old monitor not capable of showing the NVR output, good call Securame

Erock

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome that was it! Thank you @vincent55, @hiky, @Securame ! I used a hdmi to hdmi and hooked it up to a new, modern monitor and I can see the panel and have walked through the setup wizard!

The nvr panel does see the HD at 3.6tb and did allow me to initialize it and it said it did say it completed .. However I am still getting the same three long two short, as well as a warning icon in the bottom left that when clicked says 'hd error' and in the right column '2'. Not sure if '2' is an error code and Google isn't finding anything re 'hikvision HD error Id 2'. Any thoughts?

Just want to mention that I'm glad I finally registered and started posting here, you folks rock!

Erock

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so in summary of above my question is this: Is the three long, two short beeps (Peeeep peeeep peeeep pip pip) specific to HD error, or is it a general error alarm?

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, so in summary of above my question is this: Is the three long, two short beeps (Peeeep peeeep peeeep pip pip) specific to HD error, or is it a general error alarm?
General alarm, it just lets you know there is something wrong.

To know what is wrong, you can check out the logs; or go to the "abnormalities" section, and uncheck the "beep" option one by one. Once you turn one off, and the NVR stops beeping, that was your error.

The "warning" icon should also let you know what's going on. Not a good sign if you just formated the hard disk, and says it has an error. Check the "hard drive" section and make sure it comes as formatted and ok.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The nvr panel does see the HD at 3.6tb and did allow me to initialize it and it said it did say it completed
If that has actually been successful - you may be able to get some info from the NVR logfiles about what it's now complaining about.

Erock

n3wb
Reaction score
@Securame Awesome, thank you. Yes, the HD shows as 'normal' in the panels hd section. If that is a general alarm, then I'd guess it's because I've moved the NVR to my desk for troubleshooting disconnected it from the router.. I can test when I get back home again after work.

Last question; If I resolve an alarm, will it still show in the warning icon panel until I remove it, or does it clear from there when resolved?

Big shout out to @vincent55, @hiky, @Securame, & @alastairstevenson. You folks are awesome!

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last question; If I resolve an alarm, will it still show in the warning icon panel until I remove it, or does it clear from there when resolved?
The warning icon will go away when there is nothing to be shown (note that it also shows up on events like motion detection, etc... you can change when it pops up).

If you moved the NVR away from the router now it might be whining about "network disconnected". You can turn off/silence the warnings you do not want to get.

Erock

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome. You folks have been invaluable. I've got some things to test when I get home, but I'm going to go ahead and call this thread resolved. You folks rock!

Stephen

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been using my NVR7616-E2 for almost 3 years and it just wont boot today. There is power going into it as the power lights are on. Taken out the cover and there's a red light inside the board. Normally upon boot up theres a logo and now there is nothing on the screen and no beeps at all.I ahve tried taking out the battery inside and inserting it back in and its the same. Also tried disconnect HDD power and no boot up. Any advise

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been using my NVR7616-E2 for almost 3 years and it just wont boot today. There is power going into it as the power lights are on. Taken out the cover and there's a red light inside the board. Normally upon boot up theres a logo and now there is nothing on the screen and no beeps at all.I ahve tried taking out the battery inside and inserting it back in and its the same. Also tried disconnect HDD power and no boot up. Any advise
sounds like its fried...you can try a new power supply if you can get a hold of one, but its probable more cost effective to replace it..

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Normally upon boot up theres a logo and now there is nothing on the screen and no beeps at all.I ahve tried taking out the battery inside and inserting it back in and its the same. Also tried disconnect HDD power and no boot up. Any advise
Maybe a firmware corruption - try a couple of checks:
Download the Hikvision tftp updater tool from the first post here : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English
Change the PC IP address to 192.0.0.128 and at a command prompt use :
ping -t 192.0.0.64
power on the NVR and see if there are any responses at all.
Start the tftp update tool, click OK at the Windows pop-up, power cycle the NVR and see if the status window shows
'Test tftp server'

If so - it would be worth trying a tftp firmware update with the same firmware that the NVR was running.
EN/ML selection here for your NVR : DOWNLOAD PORTAL

laposki

n3wb
Reaction score
HI,
so I have been using my Hikvision embedded NVR DS-7600 series for a while now and all of a sudden yesterday it just went off, its showing that there is power on the board but its not giving out any display. I tried changing the output from HDMI to the normal VGA port but I still couldn't get any display from it, I also tried using another HDMI cable as well as another TV but still the same thing, I'd really appreciate your Advice on what next to do or should I just get a new system altogether

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HI,
so I have been using my Hikvision embedded NVR DS-7600 series for a while now and all of a sudden yesterday it just went off, its showing that there is power on the board but its not giving out any display. I tried changing the output from HDMI to the normal VGA port but I still couldn't get any display from it, I also tried using another HDMI cable as well as another TV but still the same thing, I'd really appreciate your Advice on what next to do or should I just get a new system altogether
Download the SADP tool from the Hikvision website. Make sure your pc is on the same network. If nothing appears then its probably dead. You can even hardwire yourself into the NVR and see if the SADP tool picks up anything.