New Home Construction Camera Location & Equipment Advice

scoudi

n3wb
Reaction score
Team IP Cam Talk, I am a home installer and user of cams for a while originally Lorex, HikiVision &ArloPro2 4 remote sites (Remote Solar powered installs). However this new project has my head spinning with all the options in the IP Cam world.

I am working on building out my new home camera installs and I create the attached diagrams to help explain what I look to accomplish. I plan to select all PoE Cameras, plan to have a dedicated NVR.

Diagrams:
  • Basement Entry Camera with IR and 2.6 & 6 MM
  • 1st Floor Cameras to Cover the Alleyway and entry doors.
  • 2nd Floor Stairwell and Pool Cameras
  • 3rd Floor Cover the Deck and the Entry
  • Solar Canopy Have a camera to allow me to see the surface of the cells
Photos:
A side and front view.

Questions: I reviewed the Wiki & the Cliff notes frequently mentioned here and I am big Fan of the Dahau Starlight Cameras, but I am bit lost as to what 2020 Models
  1. For Entry Cameras, what model would be within $200 range that would allow me identify faces and detection zones, with IR (Starlite preferred)
  2. For Alley or Wide FOV cameras is a recommended see photo of house, there I could use an IR cannon for the yard? (Flexible price point)
  3. For Narrow Stairs Exterior I notice that Verifocus maybe ideal within $200 range that would allow me identify faces and detection zones, with IR (Starlite preferred)
  4. For the Pool I would like good motion detection in the water, any suggestions here (likely 2 cameras)
  5. * Is there an NVR that would allow the AI for face recognition and Motion Detection per zone?
  6. We would like to also have a camera for the park trail from our 3rd floor (about 1500 feet away)

Thanks and let me know if you have any guidance!

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Team IP Cam Talk, I am a home installer and user of cams for a while originally Lorex, HikiVision &ArloPro2 4 remote sites (Remote Solar powered installs). However this new project has my head spinning with all the options in the IP Cam world.

I am working on building out my new home camera installs and I create the attached diagrams to help explain what I look to accomplish. I plan to select all PoE Cameras, plan to have a dedicated NVR.

Diagrams:
  • Basement Entry Camera with IR and 2.6 & 6 MM
  • 1st Floor Cameras to Cover the Alleyway and entry doors.
  • 2nd Floor Stairwell and Pool Cameras
  • 3rd Floor Cover the Deck and the Entry
  • Solar Canopy Have a camera to allow me to see the surface of the cells
Photos:
A side and front view.

Questions: I reviewed the Wiki & the Cliff notes frequently mentioned here and I am big Fan of the Dahau Starlight Cameras, but I am bit lost as to what 2020 Models
  1. For Entry Cameras, what model would be within $200 range that would allow me identify faces and detection zones, with IR (Starlite preferred)
  2. For Alley or Wide FOV cameras is a recommended see photo of house, there I could use an IR cannon for the yard? (Flexible price point)
  3. For Narrow Stairs Exterior I notice that Verifocus maybe ideal within $200 range that would allow me identify faces and detection zones, with IR (Starlite preferred)
  4. For the Pool I would like good motion detection in the water, any suggestions here (likely 2 cameras)
  5. * Is there an NVR that would allow the AI for face recognition and Motion Detection per zone?
  6. We would like to also have a camera for the park trail from our 3rd floor (about 1500 feet away)

Thanks and let me know if you have any guidance!
Welcome @scoudi

Not enough cameras my friend.. not enough.

Over cable now while you have a chance.

Order one good varifocal dahua OEM 4MP starlight+ plus and a small poe switch and start testing positions right away.

As the house has already been wrapped up, you may have some issues with the builder for camera placements - as they typically do not want to see breaks in the wrap.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm with @mat200 run Cat6 to more locations, at least have the option to install additional cameras at a later date. I'm going through the same process myself, tomorrow I get my hands dirty and start laying cable to my place under construction. My wife is constantly asking me, why so many cables? My answer, trust me. So far I'm winning that one.

bottegadb

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been searching around for forum for CAT6 brand/product recommendations without much luck. Anyone have a preferred CAT6 wire for POE cams to throw out there?

scoudi

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @scoudi

Not enough cameras my friend.. not enough.

Over cable now while you have a chance.

Order one good varifocal dahua OEM 4MP starlight+ plus and a small poe switch and start testing positions right away.

As the house has already been wrapped up, you may have some issues with the builder for camera placements - as they typically do not want to see breaks in the wrap.
I ended up purchasing a IPC-B5442E-ZE? to test (PM me if you want to see all the angles we tested)

This is what I purchased.
NVR needs 32 Port POE that I can flash for AI.
Cam1Driveway Wide Color - LEDIPC-T5442TM-AS-LEDWall Mount PFB204W
Cam2Driveway Narrow IRIPC-T5442TM-AS _ 6MMWall Mount PFB204W
Cam3Basement Entry Narrow IRIPC-T5442TM-AS _ 6MMWall Mount PFB204W
Cam4Ally VerifocalIPC-HDW5442T-ZEWall Mount PFB204W
Cam5Ally VerifocalIPC-HDW5442T-ZEWall Mount PFB204W
Cam6Landing Wide Color - LEDIPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LEDWall Mount PFB204W
Cam7Pool Entry Narrow IRIPC-T5442TM-AS _ 6MMWall Mount PFB204W
Cam8Beltline Stair BulletIPC-HFW5442E-Z4EWall Mount Bracket PFA137
Cam9Landing Wide Color - LEDIPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LEDWall Mount PFB204W
Cam10Stair 2nd Entry Narrow IRIPC-T5442TM-AS _ 6MMWall Mount PFB204W
Cam11Pool VerifocalIPC-HDW5442T-ZEWall Mount PFB204W
Cam12Stair 3rd Entry Narrow IRIPC-T5442TM-AS _ 6MMWall Mount PFB204W
Cam13Driveway Wide Color - LEDIPC-T5442TM-AS-LEDWall Mount PFB204W
Cam14Stair 2nd Entry Narrow IRIPC-T5442TM-AS _ 6MMWall Mount PFB204W
Cam15Beltline Stair BulletIPC-HFW5442E-Z4EWall Mount Bracket PFA137
Cam16Beltline Stair BulletIPC-HFW5442E-Z4EWall Mount Bracket PFA137

NOAMattD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@mat200 is right that you need a lot more cameras. I'm pretty much a noob is well but for example on the garage you would want to have two cameras on either end pointing in at an angle rather than a single one over the center. it's clearly a huge property so running extra cables will give you a lot more options later for a small investment upfront.

I would also recommend getting a separate Poe switch to plug into the NVR, rather than having an all-in-one unit. I think they end up being quieter and putting out less heat total, plus if the NVR fails somehow you can still have power going to your cameras and they can record to on-board SD card.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been searching around for forum for CAT6 brand/product recommendations without much luck. Anyone have a preferred CAT6 wire for POE cams to throw out there?
Hi @bottegadb

There should be a few thread on it, we've had this discussion numerous times. ( is there something in the cliff notes on it? )

Avoid CCA stuff.
get solid copper wire 23-24AWG.

If running the cable outdoors UV rating or in a conduit is the way to go.

I've gone for cat6/5e from monoprice, bulk. Worked well. Some like better quality cables - sometimes you can find deals from folks selling partially used cable.