New home owner - do I have options?

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
After making an additional hole in what I believed to be an access to the attic (as previously shown in green) I may have hit another dead end. I made an eagles pilot hole and stuck a cam in there to see what I kept hitting and it looks like another 2x4 under the roof. Since I don’t really understand my roof layout I’m not sure exactly where I’m at right now. I may have to just find a hole new way to run wire to these cameras.

iCloud link

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@micah - at least this time you didn't drill through the roof. Take that as a step in the right direction.
Making a portal close to the corner makes things a bit more difficult and less accessible, but not impossible.
Can you take a picture of your roofline, so we can see the layout. Can't tell by just looking at your corner eave picture on page 2.
If you have a roof layout, as shown below on the right side, then you might be seeing a Hip Rafter. Even if there is a rafter there you might be able to snake a cable into the attic.
Seeing a pic will answer that question. Don't give up hope just yet, but as I said earlier, before you drill another hole, you need to understand the roof design.
What size hole did you make.

Rafter Types.jpg

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
After making an additional hole in what I believed to be an access to the attic (as previously shown in green) I may have hit another dead end. I made an eagles pilot hole and stuck a cam in there to see what I kept hitting and it looks like another 2x4 under the roof. Since I don’t really understand my roof layout I’m not sure exactly where I’m at right now. I may have to just find a hole new way to run wire to these cameras.

iCloud link

All I see it what appears to be another rafter. Are you sure you are pushing the camera parallel to the nearest rafter? Also, you never show what is below that 2 x 4....maybe it's just a cross brace 2 x 4.

BE5D2DE6-CAD0-4580-BC7E-669E04E5E881.jpeg

Last edited:

Rocinante

n3wb
Reaction score
Three years ago, I needed to install four outside cameras under my eaves.
I went into the attic, looked around, and I decided that I would be better off hiring a professional to run the cables.
$1,200 later, I was glad I did because he needed to use an endoscope camera to determine how to get the cables from my attic to my garage where I set up a hardware station with a POE switch and a MOCA adapter that ran a coax to my outside Verizon splitter. I would have drilled holes in the wrong places had I attempted this.

I installed the cameras myself and learned how to crimp ethernet plugs to the ends of the cables. No conduit piping or junction boxes needed.
The installers thought that what I did was smart. Let them do the hard part, and I could do the easy part on my own time.

This year, I am going to replace the cameras with ones that have Sony Starvis image sensors. I am going to use universal Amcrest junction boxes this time because I don't want to leave holes in the eaves each time I replace the cameras every five years or so.