New house .. prewired for 6 cameras .. need help deciding on which cameras to get

fljoe

n3wb
Reaction score
Just closed on our new home .. pre-wired for 6 cameras .. 2 in front on the ends, 2 in the back on the ends and 1 each on the sides in the back. Read up quiet a bit including the Cliff notes and thinking of getting a Starlight+ 4MP Dahua/other brand system. Should all these be fixed lens systems or should I get couple of variable ones? I do have a monitored hard wired alarm system.

Also is it better to get individual cameras and an NVR or just get a complete camera system .. any good recommendations for a complete system?

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Varifocals are quicker to install whereas for fixed lens, you will need to work out where each camera will go. I'd suggest you go with Blue Iris and a pc rather than an NVR as you will have a lot more functionality and flexibility in your system.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just closed on our new home .. pre-wired for 6 cameras .. 2 in front on the ends, 2 in the back on the ends and 1 each on the sides in the back. Read up quiet a bit including the Cliff notes and thinking of getting a Starlight+ 4MP Dahua/other brand system. Should all these be fixed lens systems or should I get couple of variable ones? I do have a monitored hard wired alarm system.

Also is it better to get individual cameras and an NVR or just get a complete camera system .. any good recommendations for a complete system?
I suggest you read through the wiki and the cliff notes once again.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello fljoe, if you want or need good low light performance. 2MP (1080p) cams with a large sensor will be the best option.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Welcome @fljoe

What sort of wires did they use?
How high are the pre-wire locations?
Do you have some sort of floor plan which you can mark the camera locations?

Did they terminate the pre-wire into an unvented closet? or??? ( i.e. what location did they terminate inside the pre-wire )

Feel free to share a picture of the pre-wire locations ( inside / outside ) - can be close up shots if you like.