New house set-up advice please

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
It is daunting I know. I just installed a system all bought from Andy and I have recommend family members to him as well. Look for him in the vendor forum. My opinion it's best to email and buy from him via PayPal rather than his Amazon store. That's just me.

Everyone here has a ton of knowledge and great advise. I usually pop in when a simple approach might be easier to get up and running.

Nvr with poe built in, either the 4208 (I chose that one myself) or the 5208.

These cameras x 8 or less if you're not ready.

Or the same in varifocal where you can zoom in and set the view

Frankly I think just a 3.6mm fixed camera does the job just fine most of the time. Installing them 8' high is best. The higher they go the less effective they get. I do not favor bullet cameras. Beyond the fact that they can be knocked out of place, I don't prefer them aesthetically.

Stick with your ring pro. I love the ring pro so far.

Buy two 4tb purple surveillance hard drives. Then just a monitor hooked up to the nvr. This gear is plug and play. Email Andy and tell him what you want and he'll send direct from him to you. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with these choices and it avoids a whole bunch of complications that seem easy to those in the know but are head spinners to people who just want good quality plug and play, point and record systems.

Good luck!

Hai1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is daunting I know. I just installed a system all bought from Andy and I have recommend family members to him as well. Look for him in the vendor forum. My opinion it's best to email and buy from him via PayPal rather than his Amazon store. That's just me.

Everyone here has a ton of knowledge and great advise. I usually pop in when a simple approach might be easier to get up and running.

Nvr with poe built in, either the 4208 (I chose that one myself) or the 5208.

These cameras x 8 or less if you're not ready.

Or the same in varifocal where you can zoom in and set the view

Frankly I think just a 3.6mm fixed camera does the job just fine most of the time. Installing them 8' high is best. The higher they go the less effective they get. I do not favor bullet cameras. Beyond the fact that they can be knocked out of place, I don't prefer them aesthetically.

Stick with your ring pro. I love the ring pro so far.

Buy two 4tb purple surveillance hard drives. Then just a monitor hooked up to the nvr. This gear is plug and play. Email Andy and tell him what you want and he'll send direct from him to you. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with these choices and it avoids a whole bunch of complications that seem easy to those in the know but are head spinners to people who just want good quality plug and play, point and record systems.

Good luck!
@Shockwave199 Thanks for the quick response and additional feedback! I sent Andy a message earlier today. I think he is in HK but I hope to have a phone call with him in some form. Can you please look at my diagram above and let me know if you think the camera placement and direction is good? Do you think I need to install another camera on the other side of the garage? I think it may be overkill. I can wire run to the other side of the garage since the sheetrock is not done. However this will come at a cost since the electrician will have to come back in.

Also what did you do as far as a home security alarm/fire alarm system? I am using Simplisafe. My local HVAC guy said he installed a wireless Honeywell system and hired a monitoring service. I didn't even know that was possible. Looking forward to hearing from you again. Thank you.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm planning on ring gen 2 for the security system. I'm in the alexa/amazon echo system so that's why my choice is that. The only ring camera I will ever have is the doorbell. And since for security systems I'm not partial, ring it is. The best security system is the one you actually use.

As far as your coverage, I can't really say except for generally if you have a camera covering every side of the house, cool. I have all 3.6mm cameras and of course my best shots for ID are closer to the camera. Them being 4mp, the farther views in each view still provide just fine general awareness- enough to be a possible hero to help a neighbor or police solve something on the road, and excellent for property surveillance. Understand- shitheads will check the cars and whatever else they may do on your property if they so wish and they'll do it with little chance of you actually ID'ing them positively. But you're getting a high res record of it nonetheless, including where they came from and where they headed off too, and time of day. I really believe there's a point of diminishing returns with all the gear. Have a camera on every brick- the chances still remain quite low for PI, imo... and they know it. That's why the shitheads go merrily on.

As far as the driveway, I split the difference and went mostly up the middle. Both sides better? Yeah, ok I guess. I didn't have the luxury so center it is.

My playlist has my recent cam video. My cams are the 2431's and not quite as good as the ones I linked you to. But with this situation with work/covid I had to get onboard as best I could and these cameras are no joke either. If only one video shows just hop over to my channel for the CCTV playlist for night/day videos. I just covered my house as best I could with directional choices for cameras installed at most, 8' high.

Last edited:

Hai1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm planning on ring gen 2 for the security system. I'm in the alexa/amazon echo system so that's why my choice is that. The only ring camera I will ever have is the doorbell. And since for security systems I'm not partial, ring it is. The best security system is the one you actually use.

As far as your coverage, I can't really say except for generally if you have a camera covering every side of the house, cool. I have all 3.6mm cameras and of course my best shots for ID are closer to the camera. Them being 4mp, the farther views in each view still provide just fine general awareness- enough to be a possible hero to help a neighbor or police solve something on the road, and excellent for property surveillance. Understand- shitheads will check the cars and whatever else they may do on your property if they so wish and they'll do it with little chance of you actually ID'ing them positively. But you're getting a high res record of it nonetheless, including where they came from and where they headed off too, and time of day. I really believe there's a point of diminishing returns with all the gear. Have a camera on every brick- the chances still remain quite low for PI, imo... and they know it. That's why the shitheads go merrily on.

As far as the driveway, I split the difference and went mostly up the middle. Both sides better? Yeah, ok I guess. I didn't have the luxury so center it is.

My playlist has my recent cam video. My cams are the 2431's and not quite as good as the ones I linked you to. But with this situation with work/covid I had to get onboard as best I could and these cameras are no joke either. If only one video shows just hop over to my channel for the CCTV playlist for night/day videos. I just covered my house as best I could with directional choices for cameras installed at most, 8' high.

@Shockwave199 That is pretty damn impressive to me! I am guessing that is you walking around and not an actual thief. If that happened while I was home, guns would be drawn. Again I will be living in the country on 11 acres in a safe area. No one should be walking on anyone's property without permission without expecting to get shot. After seeing your videos, I am looking forward to talking to Andy to configure a system with him. I have tons of Echo and Echo Shows around the house so I will definitely be using a Ring HD or Alexa compatible doorbell. I currently have the plain old vanilla Simplisafe with no video and it costs me $15 a month. I will have to research the performance of a Ring home security/fire alarm system and what the cost per month is. Question if you know the answer. Is a Ring system locked into Amazon/Ring monitoring service or can I go to a different monitoring company? Thanks again for all your detailed input and suggestions.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Locked to ring but beats the hell out of any other monitoring company as far as price.

And that was me in the vids- don't shoot! But I'll tear a head off for certain.

;)

Hai1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Locked to ring but beats the hell out of any other monitoring company as far as price.
Yep. I just checked Ring monthly cost. $30 Basic annual or $3 a month. $100 Plus annual or $10 a month. If I choose to go with Ring, I will do the $100. Now just to read over the reviews on performance.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
This dude does a crap ton of videos on ring stuff too. Like I said, a doorbell ok, but not one camera further lol.

Hai1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This dude does a crap ton of videos on ring stuff too. Like I said, a doorbell ok, but not one camera further lol.

@Shockwave199 Thanks. Ring seems like a Simplisafe system at a much lower monthly cost. I am also on the Alexa ecosystem.

Hai1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

@Shockwave199 I just order Amazon Prime Day deal $200 for a Ring Alarm 14-piece kit (2nd Gen) with Echo Dot and 25% cash back using Amazon Prime Visa. I will need to order more sensors and smoke detector and CO sniffer when I actually move into the house. That checks off the home security system. Now waiting on Andy to help me configure a camera surveillance system. Thanks again for all your input.

Last edited:

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
You're welcome, but it's also worth mentioning I couldn't have assembled my meager system without the generous input of everyone here either. This place is quite a wealth of information, be it deep dives or simple approaches. It's all good. Andy will not let you down. I have my eye on the same Amazon deal for the ring alarm system but man, 200 or so used to be an impulse buy. Now, it's a bit different.

Good luck with your install. Check back in for help with installing the hard drives, cameras, etc. Also consider if you plan to flush mount the cameras or plan on mounting brackets. Andy will know which ones the cameras fit but it'll add around 20 bucks per camera for mounts if you want that.

I chose mounts for two of mine

9F837A26-A154-42CF-8870-B7F4C09FD9F6.jpeg

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I need to install another camera on the other side of the garage? I think it may be overkill. I can wire run to the other side of the garage since the sheetrock is not done. However this will come at a cost since the electrician will have to come back in.

It's NEVER overkill to have an extra camera installed. I've gone from 6 cams to 25 cams over the course of 5 years or so...

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Andy is responsive to email and pm here. Might be better than calling. To bradners point, it's always a thought to get a 16 channel nvr for future growth. Me, 8 is enough.

Hai1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's NEVER overkill to have an extra camera installed. I've gone from 6 cams to 25 cams over the course of 5 years or so...
They did spray foam insulation today so it may be too late to add another camera on the other side of the garage. It may be possible since all the wires are overhead and run to the soffits. I am texting with Andy now.

Hai1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Andy is responsive to email and pm here. Might be better than calling. To bradners point, it's always a thought to get a 16 channel nvr for future growth. Me, 8 is enough.
Depending on the cost difference, I may go with 16.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Hai1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Btw this is the deal of the day!! Plus an echo show 5 for free! If the 8 piece is enough.

Yeah. I saw that too but I chose the 14 piece for the extra keypad and sensors. Echo dot will be good for the bathroom or garage. I will still have to buy a bunch of sensors for all the windows and doors I have. And also need the smoke detector and CO sniffer.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Hai1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah. I saw that too but I chose the 14 piece for the extra keypad and sensors. Echo dot will be good for the bathroom or garage. I will still have to buy a bunch of sensors for all the windows and doors I have. And also need the smoke detector and CO sniffer.
Andy
Depending on the cost difference, I may go with 16.
@Shockwave199 @EMPIRETECANDY and ALL
I talked to Andy. Great guy! Here is what we came up with. Please feel free to provide any feedback. There are only 2 reviews about the NVR on Amazon and my only concern is the fans in this unit are noisy. Probably justified due to high heat generated. All the Cat6 cables will be run to my office by design. I wanted it there but now I worry it will be too noisy since I work from home and have phone calls throughout the day.

Nine IPC-T5442T-ZE cams
One NVR5216-16P-4KS2E

I will still need to buy two 10TB WD Purple drives. I priced those out at Newegg at around $220 each. Do you guys have a better source?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
You are right to be concerned about the fan noise. I don't think you will find it acceptable to be in the same room with it, especially for long periods of time. You can either try and isolate the nvr as best you can, or try and do a fan mod for something quieter (search the forum for that) or go with a non poe nvr which will be quieter, and use a multi channel external poe switch for the cameras. Most people here actually favor an external poe switch. Since my poe nvr is in a room I don't really use, it works out for me. But for sure, the fan noise will drive you nuts if you can't isolate the nvr in a closet or enclosure that while it reduces the noise, also has some ventilation for the nvr.

Also, I don't know exactly how much quieter a non poe nvr is. Someone else with experience would have to say. But I believe it's quieter.