New house set-up advice please

Hai1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are right to be concerned about the fan noise. I don't think you will find it acceptable to be in the same room with it, especially for long periods of time. You can either try and isolate the nvr as best you can, or try and do a fan mod for something quieter (search the forum for that) or go with a non poe nvr which will be quieter, and use a multi channel external poe switch for the cameras. Most people here actually favor an external poe switch. Since my poe nvr is in a room I don't really use, it works out for me. But for sure, the fan noise will drive you nuts if you can't isolate the nvr in a closet or enclosure that while it reduces the noise, also has some ventilation for the nvr.

Also, I don't know exactly how much quieter a non poe nvr is. Someone else with experience would have to say. But I believe it's quieter.
@Shockwave199 I just got off the phone with my builder. I was going to ask him to route the junction box to the other side of the office wall which is the laundry room. But unfortunately it is too late. Everything is strapped down and nailed in and spray foam insulated. What are the keywords I should put in the search window? I tried "NVR loud fan" and "NVR noisy fan" and didn't find anything useful.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I couldn't find the thread either but there is one somewhere. Youtube has video on it like this one-

Hopefully someone else will chime in about it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The NVR5216-16P-4KS2E its the goto NVR for many. I've installed 3 and is my default recommendation. I'm the worst person to ask about the noise, personally I think the complaints are overdone. But if it was sitting beside you I suppose it may wear on you. Mine's 25 ft away in an open pantry and I don't hear it.

Lots of threads on the fan mod just search around, I've not done it sorry.

As far as PoE vs external switch, thats mostly preference and somewhat dependent on your knowledge. Non-PoE NVR's do allow you to put a switch somewhere else and run the wire to it instead of the NVR (of course you still have to get a cable to the NVR regardless). I've not actually used the direct NVR interface on mine since the day I installed it as its easier and better to manage it via web browser from anywhere on your network, so it doesnt matter where you put it as long as you can get a network connection to it.

NVRs with built in PoE like the one mentioned do add a layer of security as the cameras are placed on their own subnet. The downside (if you can call it that) is that you must access the links to the cameras via the NVR interface vs directly if they are on an external switch. Ultimately its another whopping 2 clicks in a web browser...
You end up at the same camera web GUI either way but you lose the security layer with the external switch.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I couldn't find the thread either but there is one somewhere. Youtube has video on it like this one-

Hopefully someone else will chime in about it.

I've done the Noctua fan mod on 2 of my Ubiquiti rack devices (500W POE switch and router) and WOW did they ever quiet them down. Was so happy with that upgrade.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Very good. Sort through this stuff now before you make the purchase. There's two other considerations here- a non poe nvr which should be quieter (must confirm from someone who knows the difference between the two) OR using blue iris on a 24/7 pc for the 'NVR'. Many people here swear by that...by a long shot over a dedicated nvr unit. If that interests you, read up here all you can about blue iris in the wiki and cliff notes.

Hai1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The NVR5216-16P-4KS2E its the goto NVR for many. I've installed 3 and is my default recommendation. I'm the worst person to ask about the noise, personally I think the complaints are overdone. But if it was sitting beside you I suppose it may wear on you. Mine's 25 ft away in an open pantry and I don't hear it.

Lots of threads on the fan mod just search around, I've not done it sorry.

As far as PoE vs external switch, thats mostly preference and somewhat dependent on your knowledge. Non-PoE NVR's do allow you to put a switch somewhere else and run the wire to it instead of the NVR (of course you still have to get a cable to the NVR regardless). I've not actually used the direct NVR interface on mine since the day I installed it as its easier and better to manage it via web browser from anywhere on your network, so it doesnt matter where you put it as long as you can get a network connection to it.

NVRs with built in PoE like the one mentioned do add a layer of security as the cameras are placed on their own subnet. The downside (if you can call it that) is that you must access the links to the cameras via the NVR interface vs directly if they are on an external switch. Ultimately its another whopping 2 clicks in a web browser...
You end up at the same camera web GUI either way but you lose the security layer with the external switch.
Thanks @bigredfish I didn't have to PM you after all :) Originally the builder had the coms junction box in the garage. I was concerned about heat shortening the life of any electronics so I asked him to route it to my office. I figure it would make it easier for me to manage everything in my "control center"/office. In hindsight I wish I would have routed it to a pantry like you did. I have two kitchen pantries, one of which is adjacent to the garage wall.

My office is 11' x 9'10" so a hair under 110 square feet. The coms junction box will be in a corner of the room and to my left about 8 feet from my ears. Please see picture. I prefer a one box solution if possible but am not opposed to an external POE switch. I would like to keep things as simple and maintenance free as possible.

Office.png

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
You can always get the nvr and if it's too loud, do what looks to be an easy fan mod. I think I'm gonna do that mod as well- only to the power supply fan. That's the noisy one.

At 8' from your ears, I think it will be troublesome. Everyone is different though. I've been in pro fireworks and pro audio my whole life- my ears are shot too. But I would not want to be within 8' of the nvr personally. It might be perectly acceptable for you though. I wear headphones most of the time and do teams meetings so I'd probably get by. But for you it will depend. Might be worth a shot to try.

Hai1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can always get the nvr and if it's too loud, do what looks to be an easy fan mod. I think I'm gonna do that mod as well- only to the power supply fan. That's the noisy one.

At 8' from your ears, I think it will be troublesome. Everyone is different though. I've been in pro fireworks and pro audio my whole life- my ears are shot too. But I would not want to be within 8' of the nvr personally. It might be perectly acceptable for you though. I wear headphones most of the time and do teams meetings so I'd probably get by. But for you it will depend. Might be worth a shot to try.
@bigredfish LOL! My ears are shot too from shooting too much. Especially my left ear. I am right handed but left eye dominant and keep both eyes open when I shoot so my head turns to the right and my left ear gets the brunt of the sonic bang. Yes I do use ear protection but too much time shooting and one is a 357 mag that you can feel the percussion not just hear the bang :( I'll see if it is too loud and deal with it from there. Seems you like the NVR I am going to get. Any feedback on the cameras? Andy said since I am mounting the cameras on the soffits I won't need any extra mounting accessories. I'll post a pic of my camera layout later if you don't mind giving me some feedback on that and whether you have a better layout in mind. Thanks.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5442 series IMHO are the best bang for the buck under $500 right now. The VF bullet allows you flexibility to dial in your focus/choke points. So all good

If you do have the time and inclination, you may hold baclk on a few of the VFs and test each location to see if you could use a fixed lens in certain locations. The fixed lens models, and especially the full color NI model, are noticeably brighter and a tad better than their VF brothers in low light.

Std 5442 fixed vs VF 5442
Review: Dahua HFW5442T-ASE 4MP Starlight+

Std 5442 fixed vs 5442-NI fixed model
Review: OEM IPC-B5442T-ASE-NI 4MP Pro AI Starlight Full-color Fixed Bullet

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Like I said, Im not the best guy for the noise thing,. (could be due to years of shooting ;)
What'd you say? I can't hear you over the ringing in my ears from shooting too much.

I've got a 200cfm fan sitting under my desk and it doesn't bother me in the least. Then again, I worked in server rooms for years. Talk about fan noise!

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
What'd you say? I can't hear you over the ringing in my ears from shooting too much.

I've got a 200cfm fan sitting under my desk and it doesn't bother me in the least. Then again, I worked in server rooms for years. Talk about fan noise!
Server room??!! You're disqualified from that alone! LOL!

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
This is sound in the same room 6' away. When I listen in ear buds with volume just under full blast, it's about the loudness in the room. The sound can be minimized greatly by putting any kind of baffle between you and the nvr. Ultimately it's up to you and what you can deal with. It's obtrusive in the same room for me, but it's not like a vaccum cleaner is on either.

View attachment trim.2DC76A45-4EE8-4717-A77C-BA5816297E73.MOV

Hai1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is sound in the same room 6' away. When I listen in ear buds with volume just under full blast, it's about the loudness in the room. The sound can be minimized greatly by putting any kind of baffle between you and the nvr. Ultimately it's up to you and what you can deal with. It's obtrusive in the same room for me, but it's not like a vaccum cleaner is on either.

View attachment 72602
Doesn't sound that bad but it is hard to tell because I don't really know since it depends on how loud my monitor speakers are.

Hai1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 5442 series IMHO are the best bang for the buck under $500 right now. The VF bullet allows you flexibility to dial in your focus/choke points. So all good

If you do have the time and inclination, you may hold baclk on a few of the VFs and test each location to see if you could use a fixed lens in certain locations. The fixed lens models, and especially the full color NI model, are noticeably brighter and a tad better than their VF brothers in low light.

Std 5442 fixed vs VF 5442
Review: Dahua HFW5442T-ASE 4MP Starlight+

Std 5442 fixed vs 5442-NI fixed model
Review: OEM IPC-B5442T-ASE-NI 4MP Pro AI Starlight Full-color Fixed Bullet
Thanks @bigredfish @Shockwave199 @sebastiantombs @bradner @samplenhold @mat200 I'll take a look at those. I like the idea of a color cam at the front door.
Moving on, here is my cam layout. Please give me your thoughts and suggestions. As a reminder I have a steel detached garage 24x30 to the right of the house.
The doorbell cam is a Ring Pro and I just bought a Ring home alarm system.

1602734139021.png

Last edited:

Hai1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks @bigredfish @Shockwave199 @sebastiantombs @bradner @samplenhold @mat200 I'll take a look at those. I like the idea of a color cam at the front door.
Moving on, here is my cam layout. Please give me your thoughts and suggestions. As a reminder I have a steel detached garage 24x30 to the right of the house.
The doorbell cam is a Ring Pro and I just bought a Ring home alarm system.

View attachment 72608
@bigredfish @Shockwave199 @sebastiantombs @bradner @samplenhold @mat200

Any feedback on the cam layout fellas?