New Install - Hikvision System

rajuabju

n3wb
Reaction score
So I am building a new house, after lots of research/debate of Dahua vs Hikvision vs other brands, I've decided to go all Hikvision as I believe their camera lines, support, ease of use (for wife especially) will best suit my needs.

Inside the house, I want all mini-dome camera's. The spec being recommended to me by my low-voltage / security subcontractor is the HIKVISION DS-2CD2542FWD-IS

I asked for something that has decent night vision, POE, 2-way audio, and this seems to check all the boxes?

I realize that with a mini-dome, night vision will never be as good as a turret or some other styles, but I need to make that trade-off inside the house as my wife will never approve a more obtrusive camera. I'm wondering if this is the right camera, or any other recommendations I should look at?

Outside the house, the camera recommendation is a full-sized dome, model # HIKVISION DS-2CD2135FWD-I ... this is an ultra low light, which is what I want, but should I go to a different style, or dome is ok? I dont mind a turret or other style if that works better for outside. Again, for outside, good night vision, POE are critical, 2-way audio nice but not a must.

For my front door, the recommendation was originally a Ring, I said no way. Now he is suggesting a HIKVISION DS-KB8112-IM ... I have no clue on this... any other options I should consider? Again, POE (and obviously good audio/video) critical here.

Finally, on the NVR, recommendation is: HIKVISION DS-7732NI-I4 ... I want a 32channel system, and I plan to throw in 8TB of storage for 16 camera's. I need a week of storage, anything more is great but not required. I have little knowledge of NVR's, and I dont want Blue Iris to complicate things for my wife.

Feedback on the above, and alternate suggestions (sticking with HIKVISION) greatly appreciated.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
DS-2CD2542FWD-IS has no integrated speaker, if you want two way audio you will need to install one next to each camera (which I am sure you will not do). Btw, this is an old model, the current/equivalent model would be DS-2CD2543G0-IS.

If you want two way audio, the easy route is to go for the cubes.

DS-KB8112-IM is pretty nice, outdoors/anti vandalic. POE. It can just ring your mobile when someone calls, or you can also have one of Hikvision's monitors inside the house.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I am building a new house...
Welcome Rajuabju

The most important thing during the new house build is to get the home properly cabled and decent placement of cameras.

Thus once the framing is up start testing locations which you have considered.

Remember it is better to over cable .. I recommend using N+1 rule - add one more cable line to each location - it is cheap to do now.

See the cliff notes on cabling.. also remember you want to do more than just security cameras - also alarms, other IoT stuff ( voice? multimedia controls,.. "smarthome" sensors and the like.. )

In the end, if you've done a good job cabling you can easily swap out the particular models of cameras and recorders.

rajuabju

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I have 2, and in some places 3, CAT6 cables already run to every possible location (and some locations I dont need today but may in the future). I over cabled like crazy since the cost of doing it was marginal.

It seems like the Doorstation model being recommended to me is good.

But anyone want to suggest another alternate model with integrated speaker for indoor?

Also, how about a suggestion for the outdoor cam's?

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The only model with integrated mic and speaker are the cube cameras, 2CD24xx.
The only outdoor model with integrated mic are the 2CD25xx.

Other cameras might come with audio input/output, and then you can add an external microphone/speaker.