New Member in San Francisco Bayarea

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the total bandwidth of the NVR?
What is the maximum resolution of the NVR?
How many cams and their resolution?

Technical Guesses FREE
Right Answers PRICELESS

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At this point friend, it's the only thing that makes sense :secret:
Thanks @C.e.s.a.r you've managed to provide us with a good stumper ..

Rarely have I seen a trouble shooting run go this far without a solution and root cause discovered.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @C.e.s.a.r you've managed to provide us with a good stumper ..

Rarely have I seen a trouble shooting run go this far without a solution and root cause discovered.
Well let's wait and see the results of the troubleshooting I suggested before saying no solution or root cause discovered...based on what has slowly been unfolded, I am leaning towards cable strain at the NVR port or a strained/kinked up camera cable in the junction box. Depending on the camera and the orientation, sometimes those cables can get stretched into weird positions.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well let's wait and see the results of the troubleshooting I suggested before saying no solution...
NVR port .. tested inside and ok
Cables .. multiple tried and tested
Camera .. tested inside and ok .. outside and not ok ..

Perhaps a problem with the camera when it is mounted .. perhaps it puts strain on a cracked connection ???

Try a known good camera at that location

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NVR port .. tested inside and ok
Cables .. multiple tried and tested
Camera .. tested inside and ok .. outside and not ok ..

Perhaps a problem with the camera when it is mounted .. perhaps it puts strain on a cracked connection ???

Try a known good camera at that location
Exactly - based on the other troubleshooting, then outside and not ok leans towards the camera cable itself as it is free and loose when tested inside, but once it gets jammed into the junction box outside, it gets all crumpled up or pinched against the support and doesn't work properly - no different than someone bending a cable too much around a corner and the cable not working.

It is why I suggested trying the camera outside with the known cable that works inside and using it to connect outside and with the camera not mounted outside but held in ones hand so that the cable isn't all kinked up. He has yet to try that troubleshooting...

That or there is strain on the cable from the NVR to the camera pulling it just out of being properly seated.

I have seen both of these scenarios. You have to troubleshoot everything in a systematic manner or it is just guessing and assigning blame on something that might not be issue.

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Exactly - based on the other troubleshooting, then outside and not ok leans towards the camera cable itself as it is free and loose when tested inside, but once it gets jammed into the junction box outside, it gets all crumpled up or pinched against the support and doesn't work properly - no different than someone bending a cable too much around a corner and the cable not working.

It is why I suggested trying the camera outside with the known cable that works inside and using it to connect outside and with the camera not mounted outside but held in ones hand so that the cable isn't all kinked up. He has yet to try that troubleshooting...

That or there is strain on the cable from the NVR to the camera pulling it just out of being properly seated.

I have seen both of these scenarios. You have to troubleshoot everything in a systematic manner or it is just guessing and assigning blame on something that might not be issue.
There is no reason not to think the run from NVR to junction box is bad, everything points that direction and it should have been the first, reasonable thing to troubleshoot.

Camera on the bench with XX different cables. - Works
Other cameras on the bench with XX different cables. - Works
Camera connected to run. - No worky.
Other cameras connected to run. - No worky
Camera connected to run and installed. - No worky
Other cameras connected to run and installed. - No worky

I've never attended a TED Talk on troubleshooting, but this seems like a pretty basic case of where you should start.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is no reason not to think the run from NVR to junction box is bad, everything points that direction and it should have been the first, reasonable thing to troubleshoot.

Camera on the bench with XX different cables. - Works
Other cameras on the bench with XX different cables. - Works
Camera connected to run. - No worky.
Other cameras connected to run. - No worky
Camera connected to run and installed. - No worky
Other cameras connected to run and installed. - No worky

I've never attended a TED Talk on troubleshooting, but this seems like a pretty basic case of where you should start.
Exactly! It is why I asked like three times did he try the exact same working cable when the camera went outside and since it is a small run it should be easy to try but instead got posts of texts...

There are still several troubleshooting steps that need to be tried before saying this is a stumper...

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Exactly! It is why I asked like three times did he try the exact same working cable when the camera went outside and since it is a small run it should be easy to try but instead got posts of texts...

There are still several troubleshooting steps that need to be tried before saying this is a stumper...
This is a good use case for a continuity tester to make sure the line isn't broken or loose.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

C.e.s.a.r

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just giving an update I'll be removing camera a doing more testing shortly. Got family matter to attend too but want let everyone know I will be following your suggestions. Figures crossed!

C.e.s.a.r

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I came here for one reason that I'm guessing will be one for the record books. Problem: Camera works find as long as it's not in it's permanent location. Where is the location you ask? I've got the camera mounted on a metal junction box on an outside wall, I cut a hole through the wall with camera hooked up via CAT6 four feet from NVR inside my office. If I take the camera inside and connect it works fine, but once I mount it in permanent location and connect it, nothing, yellow and green net work lights will not come on. Things I've tried so far: Replaced three cables with new ones. Checked all replacement cables with network cable tester with positive results, cables are good. I was thinking it may be Electro Magnetic Interference or Force, so I repositioned electical wires as far away from camera cables as possible and checked with a touchless voltage tester. Looked inside wall space for possible hidden electrical wire, I found none. Expanded inside hole in wall and made a faraday cage/tube from a fine mesh stanless steel figuring what the heck it's worth a try, didn't work. So here I am, any ideas on what is going on.
UP DATE! IT'S WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How I got it to work is all theory and speculation. But first I'll tell you I went back to square one taking the camera down, bringing inside, testing, and doing what everyone had suggested with ZERO results. Tugging, crimping wires, net work test, cable test, etc on down the line. After everything, camera would work inside but not mounted outside, dead. I was starting to think there was some sort of spacial worm hole in my wall. So what made it work? I took the metal junction box off the wall and mounted camera directly to the outside wall, before anyone says it may be the cable touching any part of the box the answer is 100% no. So here's my theory. Stucco is made from cement and applied over chicken wire, my theory is somehow the metal junction box in combination with the chicken wire caused some sort electrical interference. That's all I got, I know it sounds crazy but if you got something better I'd like to hear it!! Again Thanks for all the help and if this thing goes down again I'm moving!

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have a high powered transmitter near by? Any BIG antennas around?
Once more do you have a multi-meter? If so attach 1 lead to the chicken wire.
Touch the NVR with the other. Any DC or AC? What is the voltage between the
Ground in the outlet and hot of the wall plug voltage should be line voltage.
Test voltage between the common and hot side. Now for the FUN, is there any
voltage between the common and ground? If so you found the problem,

C.e.s.a.r

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have a high powered transmitter near by? Any BIG antennas around?
Once more do you have a multi-meter? If so attach 1 lead to the chicken wire.
Touch the NVR with the other. Any DC or AC? What is the voltage between the
Ground in the outlet and hot of the wall plug voltage should be line voltage.
Test voltage between the common and hot side. Now for the FUN, is there any
voltage between the common and ground? If so you found the problem,
I'll be giving it a look see soon, I'm just glad it's working and definitely going to track this down. Thanks

C.e.s.a.r

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll be giving it a look see soon, I'm just glad it's working and definitely going to track this down. Thanks
So it’s been a few days and everything seems to working fine. Going over things I did find one thing that may be a problem. First I must explain that my home was built in the 50’s so most of the outlets are two wire with no ground, which I found the NVR is connected too (outlet was three prong but once I checked did not have a ground which, I will rectify). So now back to findings. Now that the cameras is off the electrical junction box and mounted to the stucco I tested between the NVR and mounting screws and got 30 volts ac and 14 volts dc. I also touched the barrel connector off the camera, which also read the same. If this is a provable problem my next question would be why, and why only this camera out of five others?

C.e.s.a.r

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well it took a week!!!! I just looked at my monitor this morning and that same cameras is out! Looked at back of NVR and the yellow and green network lights are out. I did the same routine of disconnecting and reconnecting cable from NVR and camera with the same negative results. I think at this point I'm going to buy new NVR and just see what happens. Any suggestion on replacement NVR's? New NVR 4K and going to be using six cameras max.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well it took a week!!!! I just looked at my monitor this morning and that same cameras is out! Looked at back of NVR and the yellow and green network lights are out. I did the same routine of disconnecting and reconnecting cable from NVR and camera with the same negative results. I think at this point I'm going to buy new NVR and just see what happens. Any suggestion on replacement NVR's? New NVR 4K and going to be using six cameras max.
Get a small poe switch and try that with the cameras .. if a dahua nvr you can manually add the camera from the lan ip side