New member on a mission!

turdhunter

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

New here, but not completely new to IP cams. I'm currently running a few Amcrest wifi cameras and I am looking to make the move to a 4k system.

Main reason... is to get a clear view of the people leaving dog turds in my yard. My current system is decent, but not good enough to recognize exactly who they are. I'm looking to make the move to a 4k & POE system.

I've been looking at a few Costco systems (due to their return policy), but I have also read that Montavue offers some good stuff as well. Hopefully I can learn which companies make what (it seems like a few are just rebrands of each other).

I have a budget of around $1200 give or take, so if there are any must have or really good systems that you guys can recommend off the bat I would welcome any suggestions. If not, I will delve into the threads here and hopefully learn a thing or two.

Thanks for reading!
-turdhunter

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,

New here, but not completely new to IP cams. I'm currently running a few Amcrest wifi cameras and I am looking to make the move to a 4k system.

Main reason... is to get a clear view of the people leaving dog turds in my yard. My current system is decent, but not good enough to recognize exactly who they are. I'm looking to make the move to a 4k & POE system.

I've been looking at a few Costco systems (due to their return policy), but I have also read that Montavue offers some good stuff as well. Hopefully I can learn which companies make what (it seems like a few are just rebrands of each other).

I have a budget of around $1200 give or take, so if there are any must have or really good systems that you guys can recommend off the bat I would welcome any suggestions. If not, I will delve into the threads here and hopefully learn a thing or two.

Thanks for reading!
-turdhunter
Welcome @turdhunter

Do take a close look at the ID distance list I made and posted on the other forum.

Between that and the IPVM calculator you should be able to get a good idea of what may at least in theory work to ID someone at that distance ( from where you will place to camera to the happy turd dumping spots ).

You probably will need a varifocal camera to get the ID distance you want.

Remember if you need to do this in low light conditions, the current best option is the Dahua OEM 2MP starlight models. If you end up going with a NVR kit - you typically can fairly easily add a Dahua OEM camera to a Dahua OEM NVR. ( it may not be plug and play with different brands - but with some IP / port and user / password configuration work you should be able to get it working well )

turdhunter

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so instead of creating a new thread I'm going to bump this one.

I have a few options and hopefully you guys can help me narrow it down.. As mentioned before I prefer to buy a turn key kit w/ costcos return policy, but I can also see the benefits of piecing one together, I just don't have a ton of time on my hands to research cameras individually.

Option 1:

My local costco is selling a system with the following:
- 8 Channel 2TB NVR
- 6 "active deterrence cameras" (Ive read mixed reviews about these, but it will be better than what I have currently)
- Price $749

Notes: this leaves me 2 extra channels for a hikvision varifocal camera which I've read can be made to work with the lorex NVR (correct me if im wrong)

Option 2:

Same as above, but for $799 (sale ends soon) I get 8 active deterrence cameras instead of 6... but the NVR cannot support any additional cameras.

Option 3:

Piece one together from this site, I would definitely need suggestions (I know I know every situation is different) on NVR / cameras /etc. I don't mind to pay more for quality parts as long as setup isn't too much of a headache. If I could piece together something that the first 2 options could provide for around the same price, or a little bit more... I wouldn't mind.

--

I'm currently leaning towards option 2... unless there is a no brainer alternative for me to consider.

Thank you.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so instead of creating a new thread I'm going to bump this one.

I have a few options and hopefully you guys can help me narrow it down.. As mentioned before I prefer to buy a turn key kit w/ costcos return policy, but I can also see the benefits of piecing one together, I just don't have a ton of time on my hands to research cameras individually.

Option 1:

My local costco is selling a system with the following:
- 8 Channel 2TB NVR
- 6 "active deterrence cameras" (Ive read mixed reviews about these, but it will be better than what I have currently)
- Price $749

Notes: this leaves me 2 extra channels for a hikvision varifocal camera which I've read can be made to work with the lorex NVR (correct me if im wrong)

Option 2:

Same as above, but for $799 (sale ends soon) I get 8 active deterrence cameras instead of 6... but the NVR cannot support any additional cameras.

Option 3:

Piece one together from this site, I would definitely need suggestions (I know I know every situation is different) on NVR / cameras /etc. I don't mind to pay more for quality parts as long as setup isn't too much of a headache. If I could piece together something that the first 2 options could provide for around the same price, or a little bit more... I wouldn't mind.

--

I'm currently leaning towards option 2... unless there is a no brainer alternative for me to consider.

Thank you.
Check if the NVR is the same... if one kit has a better NVR I would consider that instead.

turdhunter

n3wb
Reaction score
Check if the NVR is the same... if one kit has a better NVR I would consider that instead.
I believe they are the same its hard to tell with costco's specs sheets (no part number or anything). I'm tempted to just pay the extra $50 and get the 2 extra cameras... even if I end up replacing them with some starlights. Its always good to have backups I suppose.

If I do go with these kits, are there other NVR's I can run with it if I do need more channels? Or am I stuck with LOREX only?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe they are the same its hard to tell with costco's specs sheets (no part number or anything). I'm tempted to just pay the extra $50 and get the 2 extra cameras... even if I end up replacing them with some starlights. Its always good to have backups I suppose.

If I do go with these kits, are there other NVR's I can run with it if I do need more channels? Or am I stuck with LOREX only?
Hi Turdhunter

Yes, you can use a Dahua OEM NVR or a POE switch and Blue Iris software on a Windows PC or POE switch and Dahua's SmartPSS on a PC

update:

I see the 4 camera kit at Costco online - $500 ( $100 off )
Lorex 8 Channel UHD 4K Network Video Recorder with 2TB HDD 4 UHD 4K Active Deterrence Bullet Cameras Security System
Item 1299151Model LNR824KXB
https://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-UHD-4K-Network-Video-Recorder-with-2TB-HDD-4-UHD-4K-Active-Deterrence-Bullet-Cameras-Security-System.product.100469040.html

and the larger NVR w/9 camera kit - $1300 ( I've seen this at $1000 before.. )
Lorex 16-channel 4K UHD NVR Surveillance System with 4TB HDD and 9 4K Active Deterrence Cameras
Item 1259671Model LNR1649KXB
https://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-channel-4K-UHD-NVR-Surveillance-System-with-4TB-HDD-and-9-4K-Active-Deterrence-Cameras.product.100430583.html

naturally I like the more expensive kit due to the better NVR ( close to the Dahua OEM NVR5216-16P-4KS2x iirc, note Lorex version of the firmware is missing the IVS functionality )

Last edited:

turdhunter

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Turdhunter

Yes, you can use a Dahua OEM NVR or a POE switch and Blue Iris software on a Windows PC or POE switch and Dahua's SmartPSS on a PC

update:

I see the 4 camera kit at Costco online - $500 ( $100 off )
Lorex 8 Channel UHD 4K Network Video Recorder with 2TB HDD 4 UHD 4K Active Deterrence Bullet Cameras Security System
Item 1299151Model LNR824KXB
https://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-UHD-4K-Network-Video-Recorder-with-2TB-HDD-4-UHD-4K-Active-Deterrence-Bullet-Cameras-Security-System.product.100469040.html

and the larger NVR w/9 camera kit - $1300 ( I've seen this at $1000 before.. )
Lorex 16-channel 4K UHD NVR Surveillance System with 4TB HDD and 9 4K Active Deterrence Cameras
Item 1259671Model LNR1649KXB
https://www.costco.com/Lorex-16-channel-4K-UHD-NVR-Surveillance-System-with-4TB-HDD-and-9-4K-Active-Deterrence-Cameras.product.100430583.html

naturally I like the more expensive kit due to the better NVR ( close to the Dahua OEM NVR5216-16P-4KS2x iirc, note Lorex version of the firmware is missing the IVS functionality )
I think that 4 camera kit has the same NVR as the 6 camera and 8 camera kits.

Not factoring in the price of the NVR (assuming they are all the same) the price breakdown seems to be the following:

4 camera kit = $124.75 / camera
6 camera kit = $124.83 / camera
8 camera kit = $99.86 / camera

---

what are the differences in NVRs between the 16 channel and the 8 channel? from the spec sheets the FPS seems to be the same across the board, one just has more channels available than the other.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think that 4 camera kit has the same NVR as the 6 camera and 8 camera kits.

Not factoring in the price of the NVR (assuming they are all the same) the price breakdown seems to be the following:

4 camera kit = $124.75 / camera
6 camera kit = $124.83 / camera
8 camera kit = $99.86 / camera

---

what are the differences in NVRs between the 16 channel and the 8 channel? from the spec sheets the FPS seems to be the same across the board, one just has more channels available than the other.
Hi Turd

You'll need to look closely at the appropriate spec sheet as well as pictures of the back of the NVR

Typically a 16 port NVR has more memory / cpu power than the lower model NVRs so that it can handle more cameras.

Note - sometimes the 8 port and 16 port models are very similar. In the case of the 8 port more affordable NVR from that Lorex Costco kit - it has less ports on the back, Alarm, audio I/O, etc..

turdhunter

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Turd

You'll need to look closely at the appropriate spec sheet as well as pictures of the back of the NVR

Typically a 16 port NVR has more memory / cpu power than the lower model NVRs so that it can handle more cameras.

Note - sometimes the 8 port and 16 port models are very similar. In the case of the 8 port more affordable NVR from that Lorex Costco kit - it has less ports on the back, Alarm, audio I/O, etc..
will do some more investigating, just noticed the part numbers: LNR6100X vs 4K Ultra HD NVR

Thank you for your time. I appreciate all the effort you put into replying to comments on the various forums and SD. I have learned tons from just reading your posts.

turdhunter

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like im gonna roll the dice and hold out for the 16 channel NVR to go on sale next, fingers crossed.