New member South of St. Louis, looking to get Dahua IP cam setup with questions

Boo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been lurking the forums for a while and recently registered. I am about 2 hours south of St. Louis

I am planning on using EMPIRETECANDY to buy some Dahua IP cameras / DVR, in the near future.

Originally I was going to go through LOREX, but read that Dahua is basically the same thing with more functionality in the end.

I obviously still have some research to do while saving some more $$$.

Here are a few questions if this is within the rules and OK. I plan on asking more questions later as needed. Thank you in advance for any and all advice / input.

If I am using Dahua cameras, do I need to try to stick with a Dahua DVR or can I easily get another brand to properly support the Dahua programming/features? I ask because I am not sure if the specs were all that great on the Dahua DVRs that I had seen on EMPIRETECANDY'S store.

I am currently looking at trying to get a mixture of IP cameras to go around a building. I am thinking about sticking mostly to 4K cameras, with some lesser ones, and a lesser PTZ or 2. I was originally looking at the 8MP cams, but noticed they are now offering a 12MP version. I don't mind spending a bit more for better quality/capability. Is this a bad idea?

I am also concerned with how fast my internet connection needs to be to properly save videos to the cloud. I had a friend mention that the upload speed was important. I am guessing that I might need to upgrade my connection. Any recommendations for minimum upload/download speeds I would want for a system of <12 cameras? I may not have that many cameras or have them constantly uploading, but don't want to run into issues if I do.

Any idea what a reasonable cost would be to have a professional install these cameras once I acquire them, IF I do not install them myself. I just don't want to mess up or drill unnecessary holes or do it wrong.

Thank You

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @Boo if you are getting Dahua OEM IP cameras you will want to pair it with a Dahua OEM NVR to get support for the advanced features or a VMS like Blue Iris on a i5/i7 PC w/a PoE switch.

As you plan to get 8MP cameras I would recommend getting a more powerful NVR which is rated for 8MP cameras on all channels, or a good newer gen i5/i7 PC w/enough RAM

Andy should have a good selection for you to consider.

( I picked up the NVR5216-16P-4KS2 and would suggest using that or the newer model of that when comparing your options )

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There's more to a good camera than the number megapixels it has.