New NVR Install

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I posted this question on another thread and it is looking like I have a install/layout issue. So instead of muddling up another thread I will start a new topic.

DISCLAIMER: I am a complete newbie to this stuff and networking in general.

I just got my NVR, camera's and POE switches today. I am in the process of hooking everything up and have a few questions. (For starters I am not tech savvy at all.) I am doing a bench test first prior to doing a hard install.

1. The NVR I have is the 5232-16P
2. Camera's are IPC-B5442E-ZE
3. POE Switch 1: BV Tech SW-502G
4. POE Switch2: BV Tech SW-801

I have a cable going directly from my router to the LAN port on the NVR

Currently I have a cable going from Port #9 on the NVR to the Uplink port on the first POE switch. From that switch I have two cameras, then I have a line going to a second POE switch with 4 camera's connected to it.

Currently on my NVR I am only seeing the camera plugged in the the #1 port on the first POE switch. And that is in #9 on the NVR.

What am I doing wrong here? I did disable the P2P on initial setup. Should I plug the cable going to the first POE switch into one of the POE ports of the NVR?

I was told that what I was planning on doing would work perfectly fine. I can run one line from my NVR to a POE switch and from that switch run a few cameras and then bump over to another switch with more cameras and continue to do this daisy chain effect until I have enough cameras to fill my NVR.

My NVR does have 8 POE ports. Am I ok with running POE to the first POE switch?
I’ll attach a drawing on what I was planning on doing.
The distance from the NVR to the first switch is 250 feet. Then between the two switches is 250 feed. So the farthest switch with cameras is around 500’ from the NVR.

Am I doing this wrong or is this right?49409EBA-023E-4859-A421-BAE1E4498194.jpeg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ll bump this up for ya as I mentioned in the original post, I’m not a network expert but I don’t think that will work. (Using an NVR PoE port to feed the switch for many cameras. ) The NVR assigns a 10.1.1.x address to each PoE port.

Recommend connecting the router to the first external switch, from there connect switch to LAN/ethernet port of the NVR and off to cameras and the next switch.

Of course this way you can use both the onboard NVR PoE ports as well as the external switch ports until you get to max cameras allowed by the NVR

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, pretty sure its one camera per POE port on the NVR itself. Daisy chaining like that will probably not work.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
More experimentation than anything else but how about if you unplug switch #2 from switch #1. This will Disconnect the switch and cams 3-6.

Does cam 2 start initializing / working?

If it does then plug the other switch back in with cameras disconnected. Then try plugging the cameras in 1 at a time

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah some have been able to get more than 1 camera working off of one NVR PoE port using splitters? But the limitation seemed to be 3 if I recall? I don’t think you’re going to get more than that if that

Of course you’re still limited to the number of cameras designated by the NVR

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah some have been able to get more than 1 camera working off of one NVR PoE port using splitters? But the limitation seemed to be 3 if I recall? I don’t think you’re going to get more than that if that

Of course you’re still limited to the number of cameras designated by the NVR
Did i see some posts on here with people using a dahua splitter 3 or 4 way with their dahua systems. It might work better being the same manufacturer. Part/ models numbers escape me though

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Found part:

But I recall someone did and I believe the catch was that the port will only send 1 IP address (on PoE NVR's each port is assigned a static 10.1.1.x address so any camera plugged into that port will get that address) unless you uncheck the box under networking on the camera that says 'Enable ARP/PING to set IP address service"
ARP-disable.jpg

In theory, if you uncheck that box and manually assign a 10.1.1.x address beyond the range used by the internal switch ports, (they typically begin at 10.1.1.65 and go up from there) then each camera connected to the external switch will work via the one connection back to the NVR.

Again from memory, the limitation was 3 cameras but I cant confirm...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I posted this question on another thread and it is looking like I have a install/layout issue. So instead of muddling up another thread I will start a new topic.

DISCLAIMER: I am a complete newbie to this stuff and networking in general.

I just got my NVR, camera's and POE switches today. I am in the process of hooking everything up and have a few questions. (For starters I am not tech savvy at all.) I am doing a bench test first prior to doing a hard install.

1. The NVR I have is the 5232-16P
2. Camera's are IPC-B5442E-ZE
3. POE Switch 1: BV Tech SW-502G
4. POE Switch2: BV Tech SW-801

I have a cable going directly from my router to the LAN port on the NVR

Currently I have a cable going from Port #9 on the NVR to the Uplink port on the first POE switch. From that switch I have two cameras, then I have a line going to a second POE switch with 4 camera's connected to it.

Currently on my NVR I am only seeing the camera plugged in the the #1 port on the first POE switch. And that is in #9 on the NVR.

What am I doing wrong here? I did disable the P2P on initial setup. Should I plug the cable going to the first POE switch into one of the POE ports of the NVR?

I was told that what I was planning on doing would work perfectly fine. I can run one line from my NVR to a POE switch and from that switch run a few cameras and then bump over to another switch with more cameras and continue to do this daisy chain effect until I have enough cameras to fill my NVR.

My NVR does have 8 POE ports. Am I ok with running POE to the first POE switch?
I’ll attach a drawing on what I was planning on doing.
The distance from the NVR to the first switch is 250 feet. Then between the two switches is 250 feed. So the farthest switch with cameras is around 500’ from the NVR.

Am I doing this wrong or is this right?View attachment 111587
Hi @rolibr24

Here is an example home network diagram I just created to help on this topic.

The NVR PoE ports are typically designed to only have one camera hooked to it.
So cameras which are on a separate PoE switch need to come in on the LAN side of the NVR ..

and thus you will want to do a bit more work to isolate your IP Camera network.

1639247358965.png

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’ll bump this up for ya as I mentioned in the original post, I’m not a network expert but I don’t think that will work. (Using an NVR PoE port to feed the switch for many cameras. ) The NVR assigns a 10.1.1.x address to each PoE port.

Recommend connecting the router to the first external switch, from there connect switch to LAN/ethernet port of the NVR and off to cameras and the next switch.

Of course this way you can use both the onboard NVR PoE ports as well as the external switch ports until you get to max cameras allowed by the NVR

Hi @rolibr24

Here is an example home network diagram I just created to help on this topic.

The NVR PoE ports are typically designed to only have one camera hooked to it.
So cameras which are on a separate PoE switch need to come in on the LAN side of the NVR ..

and thus you will want to do a bit more work to isolate your IP Camera network.

View attachment 111636
Ok I think I might have this.

Eithernet to the first Poe switch (Two cameras on that switch). Then from that switch have a line going back to the Lan on the NVR.
Then from that POE switch off to the second switch with 4 cameras.

I have a 16 camera NVR.

The purpose of these cameras is to monitor livestock with the upcoming lambing and farrowing season. A Christmas present for the kids so they don’t need to wake up every few hours at night in the middle of winter.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well I got them working. Now to put them in the barn.

I reset up the NVR, on the boot-up when it asked for date, time, password etc it did not like the ip address of 192.168.1.108. It kept telling me there was a conflict with the IP address. I changed it to 109 and it is seeming to work.

Now I need to find out how to get this alarm to clear. I do not have any messages in the log file.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Recall I noted in my first reply that each camera on the external switches along with the NVR will default to .108. You must go into each camera and give them a unique IP

can you post a screenshot of your NVR camera registration page?

Is it beeping continuously? The alarm may be IP conflicts, or lack of or disconnected Hard drive…