New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK will update firmware again but this time to latest Hikvision firmware. I do not think I will brick it.

Typically have done this with my W2016 server via Ubuntu RDP at a Gb connection.

Doing it today via my Widows 7 laptop connected via Gb. Only wireless is to the doorbell.

So will upgrade my firmware today from the most recent Nelly firmware to most recent Hikvision firmware.

Currently installed firmware is:

Nelly firmware: 191216 (2019-12-16)

Will upgrade today to this firmware using this link:

Hikvision firmware: 200321 (2020-03-31)

Thank you @alexdelprete

No issues with upgrade to V5.2.4 Build 200321

RTSP, ONVIF and JPG captures working fine.

Under Batch configuration / event

1 - motion detection settings are working now and not ghosted out *
2 - video tampering detection is still ghosted out
3 - video loss detection is still ghosted out

Under batch config / CCD

1 - ccd / video parameters / gain still ghosted out.
2 - ccd / white balance modes not ghosted out
3 - ccd / exposure / not ghosted out
4 - ccd / wdr / ghosted out
5 - ccd / day-night / dnr / backlight compensation / other are fine

Will test some more shortly...
Can you check with your Nelly's DB if native Alexa now works with the Hikvision firmware? Google too if you got a Google device; Chromecast, Hub, etc.

Wonder why Hikvision firmware disabled WDR?

I change mine on and off during the seasons, our porch/house faces more North and we get more sun during the summer so I usually leave on.
The sun is more South during the winter here, so less brightness in front of our house, but during the summer the sun is almost directly over our house causing more light on our driveway.

1588523219809.png

Thanks,
David

Last edited:

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you check with your Nelly's DB if native Alexa now works with the Hikvision firmware? Google too if you got a Google device; Chromecast, Hub, etc.

Here disconnected from all cloud apps and only use VPN to access the DB way long time ago.

Only way right now would be do do a reset of the DB and repairing it to the cloud app which I do not want to do. I did try the EZViz App, Hikvision App et al way long time ago.

Only using my Alexa show device via the monocole reverse proxy. Personally it is faster than using the Alexa apps through the cloud.

Think I mentioned before that I am not tethered to my phones here (5 SIMs / 5 phones). Shut them off when in the house. If you call my cell phone with it off then you get a message that the line is disconnected. I configured this with T-Mobile.

I had a look at the back up configuration bin file. It does show the last EZViz configuration.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Here disconnected from all cloud apps and only use VPN to access the DB way long time ago.

Only way right now would be do do a reset of the DB and repairing it to the cloud app which I do not want to do. I did try the EZViz App, Hikvision App et al way long time ago.

Only using my Alexa show device via the monocole reverse proxy. Personally it is faster than using the Alexa apps through the cloud.

Think I mentioned before that I am not tethered to my phones here (5 SIMs / 5 phones). Shut them off when in the house. If you call my cell phone with it off then you get a message that the line is disconnected. I configured this with T-Mobile.

I had a look at the back up configuration bin file. It does show the last EZViz configuration.
Hey, understandable, no reset necessary, I don't have Alexa devices (Except my Fire Tablet) or have experience with Monocole. Just wanting to see if Hikvision firmware will add Alexa or Google support to other DBs other than LaView ONE Halo (Alexa Supported) and EZVIZ DB1 (Alexa and Google Supported).

Thanks Pete,
David

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is only the ios / android apps which do connect to Amazon via a cloud to cloud connection that works.

Here sometimes use the phone of the day...ios, android and even Microsoft these days. I got in to cooking the phone roms many many years ago. You can still sort of JTAG phones today and replace their roms getting rid of all of the telco junk in them.

The Monocle proxy is an application by itself that you have to install on a home computer to work with any RTSP camera and Alexa Show.

Last edited:

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you @alexdelprete

No issues with upgrade to V5.2.4 Build 200321

RTSP, ONVIF and JPG captures working fine.

Under Batch configuration / event

1 - motion detection settings are working now and not ghosted out *
2 - video tampering detection is still ghosted out
3 - video loss detection is still ghosted out

Under batch config / CCD

1 - ccd / video parameters / gain still ghosted out.
2 - ccd / white balance modes not ghosted out
3 - ccd / exposure / not ghosted out
4 - ccd / wdr / ghosted out
5 - ccd / day-night / dnr / backlight compensation / other are fine

Will test some more shortly...
I confirm your list of findings, except for WDR. It is working fine for me. Remember that WDR and BLC are mutually exclusive. If BLC is on, WDR is grayed out, and viceversa.

1588557162916.png

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I confirm your list of findings, except for WDR. It is working fine for me. Remember that WDR and BLC are mutually exclusive. If BLC is on, WDR is grayed out, and viceversa.

Thank you @alexdelprete

A quickie review of WDR and BLC. Personally I did not know the specifics.

Wide dynamic range (WDR) technology balances the light on an image via image sensors (CCD & COMS) and digital signal processor (DSP). A CCTV/IP camera with WDR capability comes with an image sensor that packed with two image sensors of the Charge Coupled Device (CCD) type that capture one scene for multiple times and combine those captures to optimize overall videos/images quality.

There are two types of wide dynamic range (WDR) technologies used in CCTV/IP cameras: Digital WDR & True WDR. Digital WDR surveillance cameras use software algorithms to brighten dark areas and dim overly-lit areas in images while true WDR deploys light-sensitive sensors (CCD/CMOS) and DSP technology to balance lighting.

Hikvision WDR white paper

Backlight compensation (BLC) works by increasing the level of exposure for the entire image via digital signal processors (DSP), which divides an image or scene into different sections and adjust the lighting accordingly.

Simply put, BLC works to brighten the whole scene on a video/image frame instead of balancing lights on overexposed and underexposed areas like WDR does, which in some cases, wash out some already overly-lit areas in an image/video.

What are Backlight Compensation (BLC) and WDR for security cameras

Last edited:

phatboyj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, since you and @flynreelow asked, I configured Google Home on my Shield TV Pro 2019, and added EZVIZ integration. I authenticated and it found the DB1 immediately.

I then immediately tried it by saying: "show doorbell" but the answer of the Assistant was that the device was not configured, or something like that. I then asked for a "device resync", and waited a couple of minutes.
I retried the "show doorbell" voice command, and this time the assistant answered: "ok, I'll stream the doorbell on Shield Pro", then a black screen for 20-30 secs, then the image appeared on the tv. :)

So basically it works with DB1+Hikvision fw. Only downside is that it takes 25-30 secs for the stream to show up, and also, I noticed a lot of buffering when streaming, every 10 secs it had to rebuffer the video.

:)

Hope it helps.
Thank you @alexdelprete

This is exactly the motivation I need, to finally get around to installing my DB-1!

Hopefully a more direct route can be found for the Google stream something comparable to what @pete_c uses for amazon "The Monocle proxy application" , to alleviate the delay you demonstrated with the google stream via the standard cloud connection!

Last edited:

KlaverBoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@alexdelprete I've just upgraded my Ezviz DB1 with the Hikvision firmware. When i start the Batch Configuration Tool and go to Event / Motion Detection i can check the Enable Motion Detection option but i do not see the camera view. Am I doing something wrong? BatchTool.JPG

Diabolic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you try the Surveillance Station client for windows? That would be independent of the browser, etc. I usually use that one.
Yes I have tried the client app and it works for setting motion detection but live view never works whats worse is i cant see any of the recordings either and it has a few recordings from the motions detection. I can't figure what it could be because i have reset all the settings on the camera to default but something about the default settings synology does not like. i assumed it was resolution but even changing that or adjusting it to low res is the same. I have a memory card in the camera but i cant imagine that's the cause of this.

Diabolic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@alexdelprete I've just upgraded my Ezviz DB1 with the Hikvision firmware. When i start the Batch Configuration Tool and go to Event / Motion Detection i can check the Enable Motion Detection option but i do not see the camera view. Am I doing something wrong? View attachment 61005
DO you see the image in any of the other areas? Like in the image section. I bet you have image encryption turned on in the ezviz app.

redturbo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the FAQ wasnt lying about the unit running hot! You can feel it just touching the sides.

Anyone still here whos owned this since day 1 and their unit is still working fine to date? Which means going into nearly 2 years

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Thank you @alexdelprete

A quickie review of WDR and BLC. Personally I did not know the specifics.
No problem my friend, trying to give back what I learned here from all the kind people in this thread. :)

Hope everything's working for you now.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@alexdelprete I've just upgraded my Ezviz DB1 with the Hikvision firmware. When i start the Batch Configuration Tool and go to Event / Motion Detection i can check the Enable Motion Detection option but i do not see the camera view. Am I doing something wrong?
This is what I see, and also try going to IMAGE->IMAGE SETTINGS, there should be a live view and controls to set brightness, etc. Tell me if that works.

Also tell me if live view works with VLC and/or Surveillance Station.

1588611569531.png1588611580331.png

Diabolic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No problem my friend, trying to give back what I learned here from all the kind people in this thread. :)

Hope everything's working for you now.
If I turn on either WDR or BLC my batch config app crashes saying error code with a dll file. I tried to screen capture it but its so fast and then batch config crashes.. Anyone else have that happen?

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes I have tried the client app and it works for setting motion detection but live view never works whats worse is i cant see any of the recordings either and it has a few recordings from the motions detection. I can't figure what it could be because i have reset all the settings on the camera to default but something about the default settings synology does not like. i assumed it was resolution but even changing that or adjusting it to low res is the same. I have a memory card in the camera but i cant imagine that's the cause of this.
  1. You mean you were able to set motion detection area in Batch Config? And in Surveillance Station client what do you see now in Event Detection?
  2. Live view doesn't work in any app? Not even in the mobile app (EZVIZ, Hikconnect, etc.)? What about Surveillance Station, does the live preview work there?
  3. How are you trying to view recordings? You have to be more specific otherwise I can't help you because when you say you can't view recordings, I don't know with what app/sw you're trying to view them.

You have very weird issues. Are you using a real nas or xpenology?

KlaverBoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DO you see the image in any of the other areas? Like in the image section. I bet you have image encryption turned on in the ezviz app.
No i dont see anything in the image section. Well i do not use the app, i only used it for the initial installation. But i can reinstall it on my phone and have a look.

Diabolic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No i dont see anything in the image section. Well i do not use the app, i only used it for the initial installation. But i can reinstall it on my phone and have a look.
Yeah when you first setup the camera is turns on image encryption right from the start and Ive forgotten a few times to tun it off.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I turn on either WDR or BLC my batch config app crashes saying error code with a dll file. I tried to screen capture it but its so fast and then batch config crashes.. Anyone else have that happen?
This happens when the configuration of the device comes from a different firmware. For example, when I installed hikvision fw on my ezviz fw, when I went into batch config, almost nothing worked and it crashed constantly when configuring things. That is because every firmware has a different underlying data structure (a database), so I highly recommend that you factory reset after upgrading to another vendor firmware.

I think your problems are related to this issue. Probably you think you reset it but something didn't work. Retry it and make sure the settings are all reset to default.

If the basic things like this don't work, I wouldn't spend time to configure advanced things like motion detection. Get the basics working first, then you fine tune.

That's just my personal approach to everything related to IT and tech in general. :)