New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is not bypass kits included in the doorbell packages as with the ring doorbell pro? (the ring have a bypass unit in the package),

No.

or is it possible to just buy something that I can mount inside the chime and unplug the wires from the chime to that?

Guessing you can do that putting some sort of load on the two wires powering the chime or use the two Elk boards I mentioned above.

How is your doorbell configured today? Can you post a hand drawn schematic?

Last edited:

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looking in my box now for the Nelly version of the video doorbell. Yes the fuse wire is there in the box. I only installed the power kit. It's been so long that I forgot.
Never paid attention to this. There is your load.

I kept my chime working. So when the doorbell rings or the PIR is triggered my Microsoft SAPI chimes / TTS that someone is at the door (using Russound whole house zoned amps) and Alexa devices today. One Alexa DOT is connected to the Russound audio system and is used for whole house Alexa audio. Overkill as the chime sound is annoying.

Automation used is:
1 - Homeseer
2 - OmniPro 2 panel
3 - Home Assistant (still learning it)

pic1.jpg

pic1.jpgpic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great, then I can just bypass the whole chime and use the fuse with the zigbee relay. Im using Home Assistant today with TTS announcing doorbell clicks on alexa in all rooms, and never used a chime at all. Until now used a Ring, but tired of not being able to record and paying subscription when I have Blue Iris running anyways

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes and with the MQTT Onvif2MQTT plugin you can sense if there is motion in front of the doorbell. There are 2 different Alexa TTS sentences. One for doorbell ring and one for PIR motion. The PIR is adjusted such that you have to be right up to the doorbell.

Here lately a few delivery folks do not ring the doorbell. (same when Ring was used).

I have a pop up video on my Omnitouch screens and want to replicate that on the Amazon Show. I am using Monocle for the DB to Amazon show video. Next is to auto pop up the doorbell video when there is motion or a ring.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Only thing missing now is the possibility for two way audio so I can prerecord something like "no sellers, go away", "be there soon" or "put the package at the door"

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here did have an outdoor speaker next to the door (in between bushes) that spoke using MS SAPI. It worked fine for one way audio.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good idea. Need to investigate, but with onvif maybe two way audio might be possible in the future.

The sad thing is I do have a doorbird doorbell that cost an arm and an leg just laying around. a 5-600 bucks doorbell that can just produce 480p VGA (the advertising is wrong, no HD)

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sell it. Here sold the old new Ring and old new Hikvision gen 1 video doorbell on Ebay. I do have the issue here of always keeping old technology. ;

Still have kept my very old Amiga computer with a Video Toaster genlock. I haven't turned it on in many many years. ;)

JD575

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking in my box now for the Nelly version of the video doorbell. Yes the fuse wire is there in the box. I only installed the power kit. It's been so long that I forgot.
Never paid attention to this. There is your load.

I kept my chime working. So when the doorbell rings or the PIR is triggered my Microsoft SAPI chimes / TTS that someone is at the door (using Russound whole house zoned amps) and Alexa devices today. One Alexa DOT is connected to the Russound audio system and is used for whole house Alexa audio. Overkill as the chime sound is annoying.

Automation used is:
1 - Homeseer
2 - OmniPro 2 panel
3 - Home Assistant (still learning it)
Hi Pete_C,

Little of topic, but how do you like Homeseer? I thought it was the swiss army knife of automation, but you have Home Assistant too?

I know Homeseer can get expensive..., but I am looking to automate too, for basic functions like turn lights on/off when some approaches areas inside and out.

I think I might explore Hubitate, but still considering HA too. Your thoughts?

P.S. Still got an Atari 800 somewhere, but sold my TRS80 long time ago.

JD

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@JD575

I am biased a bit as I have used Homeseer since 1999. I used to go to the EHExpos every year in Orlando and met Richard Helmke (Homeseer founder) back in the early 2000's and liked him and liked what he was doing with Homeseer.

Now that Homeseer is running in Linux I like it more. That said is you are more familiar with Windows then use Homeseer with Windows.

Today mix my automation here. I also have Samsung Smartthings hubs and Hubitat hubs to tinker with. (and Alexa devices, Wif Devices (custom Espurna / Tasmota firmware).

My sensors today are mostly wired to my OmniPro 2 panel and do run triggers and events for automation et al with Homeseer using the OmniPro 2 panel.

The follow me automation in the house was low relating to WAF so do not do much of that inside of the house these days. I do have wired PIRs on walls and ceilings here.

I have just recently configured a second home just using the Ring Alarm, Wifi switches (Tasmota) and Alexa devices. Very simple and it works and easy peasy.

You can use MQTT today with Homeseer and or HA.

JD575

n3wb
Reaction score
@JD575

I am biased a bit as I have used Homeseer since 1999. I used to go to the EHExpos every year in Orlando and met Richard Helmke (Homeseer founder) back in the early 2000's and liked him and liked what he was doing with Homeseer.

Now that Homeseer is running in Linux I like it more. That said is you are more familiar with Windows then use Homeseer with Windows.

Today mix my automation here. I also have Samsung Smartthings hubs and Hubitat hubs to tinker with. (and Alexa devices, Wif Devices (custom Espurna / Tasmota firmware).

My sensors today are mostly wired to my OmniPro 2 panel and do run triggers and events for automation et al with Homeseer using the OmniPro 2 panel.

The follow me automation in the house was low relating to WAF so do not do much of that inside of the house these days. I do have wired PIRs on walls and ceilings here.

I have just recently configured a second home just using the Ring Alarm, Wifi switches (Tasmota) and Alexa devices. Very simple and it works and easy peasy.

You can use MQTT today with Homeseer and or HA.
Thanks Pete_c

I want to integrate my Dahua cameras and Synology Survieallnce Station with automation. Thinking that HA might be best. Don't want to run multiple automation programs for different things.

I like Linux, but can Homeseer run in a docker on a NAS? It seems heavily favored for windows (i.e. needs horse power to work).

JD

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used HomeSeer before, and me personally hate it cause of the cost and UI. Im an avid Home Assistant fan. Home Assistant matured so much the last couple of years the WAF is so high its used every day. Almost never issues with updates anymore, the most integrations on the marked, fast and stable, plus super easy to make plugins (I made homeseer plugins and that was a nightmare).

But for people who used HS for years I can see the appeal for a familiar software

JD575

n3wb
Reaction score
I used HomeSeer before, and me personally hate it cause of the cost and UI. Im an avid Home Assistant fan. Home Assistant matured so much the last couple of years the WAF is so high its used every day. Almost never issues with updates anymore, the most integrations on the marked, fast and stable, plus super easy to make plugins (I made homeseer plugins and that was a nightmare).

But for people who used HS for years I can see the appeal for a familiar software
Thanks Alekslyse! Good to know. Stability makes me hesitate to pull the trigger on HA. I will definitely give it a try first.

JD

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Pete_C,

Little of topic, but how do you like Homeseer? I thought it was the swiss army knife of automation, but you have Home Assistant too?

I know Homeseer can get expensive..., but I am looking to automate too, for basic functions like turn lights on/off when some approaches areas inside and out.

I think I might explore Hubitate, but still considering HA too. Your thoughts?

P.S. Still got an Atari 800 somewhere, but sold my TRS80 long time ago.

JD
Still have my Atari 400, with upgraded keyboard, also kept the bubble key keyboard too :) I ran across some cartridges at a garage sell years ago so I have about a dozen games, Did get rid of my Atari cassette player/recorder though :)
Ended up going to Atari XL then to the ST. Check this Site out...Brings back Memories :)

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
integrate my Dahua cameras and Synology surveillance station Station with automation.

There is a Homeseer plugin for the Synology surveillance station here ==> Synology Surveillance Station plugin and there is also a Homeseer Blue Iris plugin.

Recently helped an IPTalk peer in New Mexico with his HASSIO Synology set up. It was more to configure the ONVIF to MQTT plugin. I could not get it to run in HASSIO so had user install an Ubuntu in Docker configuration. From there install Mosquitto broker and the ONVIF to MQTT plugin.

Way long time ago switched Homeseer 2 to running in Windows 2003 server 32 bit. Worked much better for me than XP.

Recently while testing Homeseer 4 in Linux have tested it also in Windows 2016 server. Windows 2016 server is much thinner than Windows 10.

Lately also have installed Oracle virtual box 7e and Windows 2016 on the Linux Homeseer box. Running HS4/3 and Microsoft SAPI on the virtual boxes.

Also utilize Oracle virtual box on my two Xigma NAS boxes here.

Note too that none of the testing automation software is dependant on the other software to run. I have and use multiple ZWave, Zigbee, UPB and X10 controllers.

Just installed a Ring Alarm to MQTT plugin which works fine in Homeseer and HA.

HA and Homeseer talk MQTT today so can use either or for my new testing WiFi devices (upgraded to Tasmota and or Espurna).

Another open source automation software that you might want to look it is OpenHab. Tinkered with it for a bit. I am Pete on the OpenHab forum.

Also have tested Domoticz and Home Genie which ran fine on the RPis. Really it is whatever you are comfortable with and get used to.

JD575

n3wb
Reaction score
Still have my Atari 400, with upgraded keyboard, also kept the bubble key keyboard too :) I ran across some cartridges at a garage sell years ago so I have about a dozen games, Did get rid of my Atari cassette player/recorder though :)
Ended up going to Atari XL then to the ST. Check this Site out...Brings back Memories :)
Wow an Atari fanboy!

I also used the data cassette player too and learned BASIC on it...I forgot about the ST. Atari was losing ground fast to IBM and Apple at that time.

Star Raiders still a great game! :) Nice site.

I eventually moved to Apple IIs and Macs, but college was about MS/IBM which took over the world. Fortran and Cobalt was dying out, but most people don't realize that a lot of companies are still running both in their enterprise.

JD575

n3wb
Reaction score
integrate my Dahua cameras and Synology surveillance station Station with automation.

There is a Homeseer plugin for the Synology surveillance station here ==> Synology Surveillance Station plugin and there is also a Homeseer Blue Iris plugin.

Recently helped an IPTalk peer in New Mexico with his HASSIO Synology set up. It was more to configure the ONVIF to MQTT plugin. I could not get it to run in HASSIO so had user install an Ubuntu in Docker configuration. From there install Mosquitto broker and the ONVIF to MQTT plugin.

Way long time ago switched Homeseer 2 to running in Windows 2003 server 32 bit. Worked much better for me than XP.

Recently while testing Homeseer 4 in Linux have tested it also in Windows 2016 server. Windows 2016 server is much thinner than Windows 10.

Lately also have installed Oracle virtual box 7e and Windows 2016 on the Linux Homeseer box. Running HS4/3 and Microsoft SAPI on the virtual boxes.

Also utilize Oracle virtual box on my two Xigma NAS boxes here.

Note too that none of the testing automation software is dependant on the other software to run. I have and use multiple ZWave, Zigbee, UPB and X10 controllers.

Just installed a Ring Alarm to MQTT plugin which works fine in Homeseer and HA.

HA and Homeseer talk MQTT today so can use either or for my new testing WiFi devices (upgraded to Tasmota and or Espurna).

Another open source automation software that you might want to look it is OpenHab. Tinkered with it for a bit. I am Pete on the OpenHab forum.

Also have tested Domoticz and Home Genie which ran fine on the RPis. Really it is whatever you are comfortable with and get used to.
Great info Pete. OpenHab looks very interesting. Though HA may be a bit more mature. Yes, I was thinking about MQTT and I beleive OH uses it too, buy cannot determine if its needed in OH. Need to research further. May hit you up later once I get started with either program on this forum or OH.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Home assistant is very good with mqtt, actually native support for it. Same with blue iris and Synology got free and fully integrated components in home assistant

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you find an app to automate notifications on iphone you can try to start the live view on the phone when the hubitat notification of doorbell press appears on the phone. From the live view you can then manually enable 2-way communication with the mic icon.

When someone rings the doorbell, I don't receive ezviz/hikvision notifications on the phone (I disabled everything on those apps), but Hubitat sends a notification to my phone. Then if I want to speak with the person, I turn on the mic.
I’ve been getting my feet wet with Hubitat, any chance we might be able to chat (via PM) about your setup?