New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's not true, I live in Italy, and we have transformers of any kind in use in all houses. Those are limits for your country probably.
Thats why I said "all", should say most. Thats why ring provide a transformer for european customers as most, probably not all in europe use 8-12, while in the us 16-24

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thats why I said "all", should say most. Thats why ring provide a transformer for european customers as most, probably not all in europe use 8-12, while in the us 16-24
I also have friends in other european countries (france, spain and germany), 12/16/24V and also 48V is not unusual. Many electronic equipments work at those voltages.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After readubg some posts about transformer size

Do you know the distance of your wiring from the doorbell to the transformer?

It will work on 12vac if the wiring is a short distance but the longer wiring then you will need to step up the voltage. Have you even tried it with 12vac yet?
Length is a problem for DC transformers, we're talking about AC ones.

Even though the DB1 works with DC transformer too, I tried it with a 24V DC one. It says it needs AC, but internally it converts it to DC. If you feed it with DC it will work anyway.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Length is a problem for DC transformers, we're talking about AC ones.

Even though the DB1 works with DC transformer too, I tried it with a 24V DC one. It says it needs AC, but internally it converts it to DC. If you feed it with DC it will work anyway.
I am sure I read somewhere that it's also an issue with AC using low voltage ..

Here a screenshot of a voltage drop calculator where a 20 feet wiring at 18AWG would drop 8v 5a down to 6.72v

with 20 feet wire with voltage around 6.7 - it won't even power up.
with 10 feet wire the voltage around 7.5 - it will power up as long there is no other source drawing from the same transformer like chime .. press button and your DB1 goes dead ..

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 2.03.00 PM.jpg

a 50 feet wiring in some homes where the transformer is found in basement next to there furnace cut the voltage almost to half

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 2.14.46 PM.jpg

So it's generally a good idea to step up voltage and amperage on longer wiring runs ... Here there result on 24v 15a which is a little over 14v

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 2.16.29 PM.jpg

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another alternative is to buy ring branded plug in adapters Plug-In Adapter - they have the power protection builtin and should work well with all this doorbells, and no need to tinker with the electric cabinet

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am sure I read somewhere that it's also an issue with AC using low voltage ..
So it's generally a good idea to step up voltage and amperage on longer wiring runs ... Here there result on 24v 15a which is a little over 14v
Why did you choose 5A or 15A to simulate the load current of the doorbell? The doorbell absorbs 5W max.

1594066095776.png

In any case, that is why I recommend 24V. :)

1594065800794.png1594065833156.png

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi - I am using the EZViz DB1 with Laview firmware flashed - 190716 is the build. I had it working & it lost Wifi. I downloaded the batch config tool & I only have an option to activate it, not add so I can configure wifi.

i seem to remember activating it was not a good thing so I am holding off for the moment. Am I doing something wrong or do i need an older version of batch config?
Disregard if you know this. What do you see in Batch Config. Tool? Do you see your Doorbell in your Router? You did right by not Activating it. When mine loads I check the Doorbell and hit Refresh till it shows Online. The Gear wheel is Remote Configuration (Settings).

1594070766391.png

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmmm, I do not know what to tell you, I run 24/7 streaming to BI but have not setup a web page yet or use the BI App. Weird, almost sounds like a sleep mode in BI or Doorbell of some sort, but I am not aware of one. I would try streaming via VLC and see if BI stays alive in your web page or BI App, I know this is not a fix just a test. Again, I am at a lost, hopefully someone here will Chime in for you.
It happens on the BI app directly in Windows... thus, not a web page or android app issue. I was thinking it might be something with a BI update. It happened on the last few updates and I just installed another today... so far so good, we'll see in the next day or so.

andycots

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi - I am using the EZViz DB1 with Laview firmware flashed - 190716 is the build. I had it working & it lost Wifi. I downloaded the batch config tool & I only have an option to activate it, not add so I can configure wifi.

i seem to remember activating it was not a good thing so I am holding off for the moment. Am I doing something wrong or do i need an older version of batch config?
I use iVMS when i need to setup wifi again, use the add offline device at top left i think, then manually put ip, user and pass then ok, then i reload batch config and it finds it.

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
https://ipcamtalk.com/goto/post?id=464275
richtj99 said:

I use iVMS when i need to setup wifi again, use the add offline device at top left i think, then manually put ip, user and pass then ok, then i reload batch config and it finds it.
I have the same setup, same thing happened to me twice.

DO NOT Activate it
I've used all three of these... iVMS, Batch Config, Laview Net to config the DB. I find the easiest, fastest to be Batch. Laview hangs the background process after closing on 2 diff PCs for me. Cant kill it, must reboot to fix. iVMS has been super slow in every aspect. Batch has been fastest and more user friendly.

In most of the apps (iVMS, Batch Config, Laview Net) you must put in the IP Manually to find it... discovery usually does not work.

nepats197

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a way to turn off the outdoor chime within the Hik-Connect app? I saw it on the EZVIZ but not Hik-Connect. I did upgrade the firmware to most recent.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a way to turn off the outdoor chime within the Hik-Connect app? I saw it on the EZVIZ but not Hik-Connect. I did upgrade the firmware to most recent.
The option is only in EZVIZ App.

nepats197

n3wb
Reaction score
The option is only in EZVIZ App.
Shame, the Hik-Connect app just seems snappier and more polished but that's a deal breaker for me.

So if I wanted to go back to the EZVIZ app, do I just delete device from Hik-Connect and then re-add it back to EZVIZ?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
It's strange that someone like David L couldn't compile all of these different firmwares together, to get us one app that does everything we want.

Is it really that hard?

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Shame, the Hik-Connect app just seems snappier and more polished but that's a deal breaker for me.

So if I wanted to go back to the EZVIZ app, do I just delete device from Hik-Connect and then re-add it back to EZVIZ?
You need ezviz app with ezviz firmware, not only the app. That feature is a customization made only by ezviz.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's strange that someone like David L couldn't compile all of these different firmwares together, to get us one app that does everything we want.

Is it really that hard?
Do you know what compiling means? Do you have the sources of all these firmwares? For some functions (external sound) you also need the sources of the app. I think you don't know exactly how it works from what you say. If you think it isn't hard, try doing it yourself. :)

The only main difference among the fws is the ONVIF functionality. If ezviz adds that, it would be the best firmware, right now it's hikvision's.

Skinah

n3wb
Reaction score
I just tried to upgrade my Ezviz db1 camera directly from the version out of the box to the latest Hikvision firmware 5.2.4_200321 and it resulted in a SOLID RED button led state. I have managed to fix it and here is how...
Pull the power and wait ages for the LED to go out and remove the front cover whilst waiting, it may take an hour.

1. With no power applied and the LED no light up as it has lost power hold in the reset button and keep it held in.
2. Apply power with the reset still held in.
3. The button light will flash and when this happens push the big button whilst you still have the reset held in.
4. Wait and the camera will speak to you and go back to flashing blue LED state.

I am not 100% sure what order was important and I may have pressed the doorbell button more than once but sorry I dont feel like bricking it again to test this out so if it does not work, just experiment and then post for others on what worked for you. The key was draining all the power and turning it back on with the reset held in.

alekslyse

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im getting a bit afraid now buying the ezviz db1 to upgrade to hikvision if you guys start to get faulty devices with upgrade?

Is it any point to upgrade to an onvif firmware if the rtsp stream on ezviz is stable?