New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Today I noticed when someone rang the doorbell it came through on my iPhone like a voice call. Why would you want a doorbell camera that does activate the actual camera when someone pushes the button?! Is there some setting in the GV app that I missed where you could at least get camera feed when someone rings the db?
In the app you have enabled an option that rings your iphone when someone presses the button on the doorbell. It's like a phone call. and you should be able to see a screenshot of who pressed before answering. Disable it if you don't like it.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hi all, does this doorbell record to the SD card if its not connected at all to any network? using PIR or doorbell button trigger to start recording?

I tried to test it at in laws home as they dont have internet yet nor a home network setup. so its installed powered on normally. I walked around in front, pressed the doorbell but didnt see any recordings go on the sd card.
Just a thought: I know of one user here who does 24/7 recording to his SD-Card. Here is something to try in Batch Config. Tool:
Pick Continuous (Blue), Event (Orange), Command (Green), or Other (Purple) then highlight your Days/Times and Save then hit Save Again in Schedule Page (You will see Red Saved message bottom right):

1595160336003.png

I have not tried this so I have no idea what Command or Other does, Continuous and Event is self explanatory.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i did, the manual is mostly if not only and about physical installation of the device.

Basically I set it up as normal and since there was no internet in the home yet, i just setup a hotspot from my phone temporarily to register it and set it up. so i know it works------when its online. im not doing any fancy or advance setup like going to an NVR, etc.

Just normal stock ezviz db1 with its updated firmware. and an sd card on it.

So after i set it up normally on the temporary internet hotspot, i disabled hotspot.

So it doesnt record to SD card if not connected to any network?
So good question, so this I know, I have turned off my Internet connection at my Router and tested PIR recording to the Doorbell and it works. As far as if it works if the Doorbell is no longer connected to a WiFi Hotspot/Router/AP, will it continue to record locally?, I would assume yes, but you are the one that can answer that. In Batch Config. Tool you can see your SD Card recordings under Storage/File you just have to set a Date Range, you can even download your Recordings from there too, but of course you will need to connect to the Doorbell via a Network (Router/AP) to use the Batch Config. Tool otherwise you will have to pull the SD-Card to read it. You may consider setting up a cheap WiFi router that the Doorbell connects to but of course does not have Internet access, that way you can get to the Doorbell, via the Batch Config. Tool to access the SD-Card Recordings.
The App requires cloud access via the Internet to see recordings.

You could always try to connect to someone else's open WiFi :), there seems to be at least one guy in every neighborhood that has no security setup :). Also another thought is Comcast (ISP), has Hotspots that are free to their customers, so if I wanted to connect to someone's Comcast/Xfinity Modem I could.

Funny but I actually fixed a Router once that way, I needed Internet to get a firmware (From a botched firmware upgrade), so with my Router down, I connected my laptop to someone else's WiFi and downloaded the previous firmware version and fixed my Router :) This was before Cell Phones. :)

I am sure others here will Chime in with better suggestions...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am having problems with this doorbell and Blue Iris that just started a month or two ago. 90% of the time that someone rings the bell, Blue Iris only shows the very top of the image in the video snapshots and on the app for live video. Recordings are still on the entire view. I fix this by disabling the camera in BI and then enabling it again. The problem typically begins again the next time someone rings the bell. I have two of these doorbells and they are both doing the same thing.

Has anyone else experienced this weird issue?
What transformer do you have?
Doorbell press is a direct short to your transformer, Big Load draw, so you need the right VA on your transformer so your Doorbell can handle this voltage drop.

bubba123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1. Check connections and voltages, make sure chime is enabled correctly in the app. It must work if everything's ok.
2. Apps are 99% all the same. Ezviz has some customizations in app and firmware. Use your old account to login to ezviz/GV apps.
Did ezviz change something recently (like in the past week) that makes it so a Hik-Connect account can’t share to a new Ezviz account? I linked my ezviz-branded/firmware camera to Hik-Connect so that I could get it into Hik i2p/p2p/platform (all my other cams are Hik so iVMS will now show all cams). I then share my cam to a 2 week old ezviz account without issue. Then I created a new ezviz account for my spouse and I’m unable to share my camera from Hik to ezviz now.

The reason for using ezviz app for primary doorbell because their camera display defaults to zoomed in which is a better user experience for my family.

Is it ok for everyone in my family to use my original (legacy?) ezviz account? Would it break anything to have 3 people logged into one account?

Thanks again for the great detail on this thread. It’s definitely helped me get this unit up and going.

Reaction score
What transformer do you have?
Doorbell press is a direct short to your transformer, Big Load draw, so you need the right VA on your transformer so your Doorbell can handle this voltage drop.
I am using an Elk 24 VAC 40 VA resetting transformer. I have been using this for both the front and rear doorbells without issue for over a year. I sometimes do notice they lose video signal for a short time when the doorbell is pressed, but I have never experienced this odd issue in BI. When this happens, the video looks fine in HIK Connect, but BI just seems to have an odd view until I reset the camera. This has stumped me for a few months and I can’t get a response from BI support. Thanks for the help!

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am having problems with this doorbell and Blue Iris that just started a month or two ago. 90% of the time that someone rings the bell, Blue Iris only shows the very top of the image in the video snapshots and on the app for live video. Recordings are still on the entire view. I fix this by disabling the camera in BI and then enabling it again. The problem typically begins again the next time someone rings the bell. I have two of these doorbells and they are both doing the same thing.

Has anyone else experienced this weird issue?
Yup, posted it a few weeks ago. Not just when the doorbell button was pushed but when just viewing. Factory resetting the DB seems to have fixed it.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Did ezviz change something recently (like in the past week) that makes it so a Hik-Connect account can’t share to a new Ezviz account? I linked my ezviz-branded/firmware camera to Hik-Connect so that I could get it into Hik i2p/p2p/platform (all my other cams are Hik so iVMS will now show all cams). I then share my cam to a 2 week old ezviz account without issue. Then I created a new ezviz account for my spouse and I’m unable to share my camera from Hik to ezviz now.

The reason for using ezviz app for primary doorbell because their camera display defaults to zoomed in which is a better user experience for my family.

Is it ok for everyone in my family to use my original (legacy?) ezviz account? Would it break anything to have 3 people logged into one account?

Thanks again for the great detail on this thread. It’s definitely helped me get this unit up and going.
Try having your family members creating their own account and link it to your account with the share function in the app.

bubba123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Try having your family members creating their own account and link it to your account with the share function in the app.
We did create an ezviz acct for spouse but sharing with that email from Hik-connect said account didn’t exist. It’s like Hik-connect no longer knows about new ezviz accounts.

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the app you have enabled an option that rings your iphone when someone presses the button on the doorbell. It's like a phone call. and you should be able to see a screenshot of who pressed before answering. Disable it if you don't like it.
I see that option enabled but when the doorbell bell is pressed there is no screenshot. Maybe there is a delay, I’ll have to mess with it..

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Yes, ezviz won't allow other apps/accounts access ezviz resources. you need ezviz account. they changed this 1-2 months ago, some users reported the warning when they accessed their DB1 through Hik-Connect or Guarding Vision.

You can use the same account on several devices. But you can also create an account for each member and then use the "share" functionality in the ezviz app.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you. I’ve been trying to figure out how to get camera past bricks so I can see my entire staircase.
If the camera has to point more to the left, to the staircase, why did you use the wall mount that tilts it to the right? doesn't make much sense. did you try with the normal one?

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the camera has to point more to the left, to the staircase, why did you use the wall mount that tilts it to the right? doesn't make much sense. did you try with the normal one?
Oddly enough it does make a difference. Using the flat mount actually had more of the brick in the picture and less of the stairs.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yup, posted it a few weeks ago. Not just when the doorbell button was pushed but when just viewing. Factory resetting the DB seems to have fixed it.

Curious, did this happen with the latest BI update? I just updated mine a few days ago but so far have not noticed half view screen, but need to check my footage, just had a family gathering today so might of had a Doorbell pressed while we were all out back in our pool.
1595198309553.png

1595198193719.png

So I went back to check today, did not see any DB button press, my family usually just walks in, they have their own codes :), so no half screens, but did see some No Signal Captures, which I have Never seen before. So what changed on my end, well I did install a new AP this week, also the BI upgrade. I will have to do some checking on why this is occurring and I was just bragging to everyone today about my new AP 's :)

1595199144631.png