New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

gudmundurg

n3wb
Reaction score
All those tests make no sense, it's just desperation.

Last suggestions:

1. Go to a friend's house, with a pluggable 24V transformer, reset the doorbell and configure it on his wifi with an android mobile phone. If it works, you know it's your home wifi devices that won't let your mobile connect to the doorbell like it should.
2. If point 1 doesn't work, throw it away, and get a NEW Ezviz DB1.
3. If you don't like point 2, send it to me and I'll tell you if point 2 is necessary. Will send it back with a beer. :)

Let me know.
I just tried to the initial config by connecting to the wifi AP on my iPhone instead of the home wifi. Exactly the same behavior, doorbell connects successfully to wifi but the second phase of the config times out. Which tells me this has nothing to to with the home wifi setup. Should have thought about trying this sooner.
Is there no other way to get the initial configuration in? Do I absolutely have to finish the config wizard?
Maybe a stupid question but does the voltage matter here? I kind of assumed if it turns on, the voltage is OK. I have some options of adjusting the voltage, but have not looked into that.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don’t use range extenders, because they will decrease connection speed. Use wired Access Points or a Mesh setup.
Agreed, I have not ever had any luck with Extenders. The Theory is the Extender is just passing on the low signal from the AP and not increasing/fixing it.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you tested with your iPhone was the iPhone connected to your Telco Internet or to your local WiFi?

Here my successful connectivity was using the smart phone (T-Mobile) Internet connectivity hotspot feature.

After a successful registration just changed the AP configured in the app to my local WAP which worked right away.

I absolutely have to finish the config wizard?

Yes if you want to utilize the cloud features / smart phone apps.

gudmundurg

n3wb
Reaction score
When you tested with your iPhone was the iPhone connected to your Telco Internet or to your local WiFi?
I used the Telco internet access point, (Vodafone).

Here my successful connectivity was using the smart phone (T-Mobile) Internet connectivity hotspot feature.
After a successful registration just changed the AP configured in the app to my local WAP which worked right away.
This was what I was thinking - but no - still in the same situation.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I absolutely have to finish the config wizard?

Yes if you want to utilize the cloud features / smart phone apps.
Going by memory, didn't you buy a DB once and it would not register because it had already been registered before?

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just tried to the initial config by connecting to the wifi AP on my iPhone instead of the home wifi. Exactly the same behavior, doorbell connects successfully to wifi but the second phase of the config times out. Which tells me this has nothing to to with the home wifi setup. Should have thought about trying this sooner.
Is there no other way to get the initial configuration in? Do I absolutely have to finish the config wizard?
Maybe a stupid question but does the voltage matter here? I kind of assumed if it turns on, the voltage is OK. I have some options of adjusting the voltage, but have not looked into that.
Power is very important for these small devices, what PS are you using?

After the first phase of the config is finished and the camera joins the network, when you restart the config, usually the wizard sees the camera on the network and skips most of the steps. But in your case, the app does not see the camera on the network. That's the root cause of your problem. If you tried using your phone as AP and it doesn't work, the only conclusion possible is that you have a faulty device, get it replaced.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, did not think of this...Good Info to know...
The best mesh network is made like this: mesh nodes and mesh master connected to a gigabit backbone. This is an enterprise architecture, in offices environment that's how WLANS are designed, the wireless nodes are just a way to let wireless devices connect to the enterprise network, and they are not connected to the backbone wirelessly, but cabled.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I already asked for help but no solution yet for me.. I moved from Hikvision to EZVIZ (have 5 other EZVIZ cams in house) and stacked in first step setting doorbell with EZVIZ app. Got msg that SSID is not right (posted screenshot here).. When I changed in Batch configuration to sopftap setting in app stuck after 90% and say wrong password (I changed password as well in Batch setting) ... My question is why ask for SSID softap when I changed in Batch configuration app to EZVIZ. (after resetting voice on dorrbell ask me to use EZVIZ app to register doorbell)..

Is anything I can do? Is anything I have to erase in memory to make my doorbell 100% EZVIZ?

Thank you
Sorry if we missed your previous post. So to back up here, when you stated you moved from Hik to EZVIZ are we talking about hardware or firmware? You mention 5 other EZVIZ Cams so it reads hardware, but just checking.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Going by memory, didn't you buy a DB once and it would not register because it had already been registered before?

Yes here purchased an RCA DB Openbox. Tried to register it and RCA CS told me that the camera was already registered and to return it to the seller which I did.

Also purchased 1st generation video doorbell here from a forum user. He had reset it before shipping it to me. I was able to register it right away. I tinkered with it for about a month then sold it.

The currently utilize Nelly Video Doorbell was new and in a sealed package (just had the tiny bar code tag on the bottom of the box).

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ebay sometimes has good prices and other times does not.

Thinking that is where @gudmundurg purchased his doorbell camera from) is really good on returns lately.

I purchased mine from a security company on Ebay selling the Nelly Doorbell. I did a buy it now at a good price but do not remember anymore what the price was.

Reaction score
First time poster on this forum, period. Thanks to everyone that contributed in the posts before so that could troubleshoot issues that I have had getting this device working.
I have this device configured on an enterprise wifi solution and it was having problems with dropouts every few minutes, and constantly roaming to different WLAN access points when of course it should be standing still. I replaced(upgraded the transformer and still was having the issue. In the end, disabling the 802.11k protocol, which is only configurable in an enterprise WLAN context fixed my roaming/dropouts issue.

I hope this can help someone else in the future.

Also, I could not provision (assign the WLAN) to my device using a Google Pixel 3 phone. I had to use an older Android tablet for it to work.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First time poster on this forum, period. Thanks to everyone that contributed in the posts before so that could troubleshoot issues that I have had getting this device working.
I have this device configured on an enterprise wifi solution and it was having problems with dropouts every few minutes, and constantly roaming to different WLAN access points when of course it should be standing still. I replaced(upgraded the transformer and still was having the issue. In the end, disabling the 802.11k protocol, which is only configurable in an enterprise WLAN context fixed my roaming/dropouts issue.

Also, I could not provision (assign the WLAN) to my device using a Google Pixel 3 phone. I had to use an older Android tablet for it to work.
Interesting, did not know about 802.11k, had to go look it up ;), thanks for the share.

alexdelprete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Welcome to the thread.

Sorry but the information you provided is misleading: the doorbell has no issues with band steering standards (802.11k, 802.11v). I use a Fritz!Box mesh network with all band steering features enabled and one SSID, and I have no disconnections. No problems here. Must be something specific to your network. If you have band steering enabled, use a single SSID for both 2.4/5ghz. We already discussed this topic in the past.

Interesting the advice for old android to provision the camera, I'll tag @gudmundurg.

Reaction score
Welcome to the thread.

Sorry but the information you provided is misleading: the doorbell has no issues with band steering standards (802.11k, 802.11v). I use a Fritz!Box mesh network with all band steering features enabled and one SSID, and I have no disconnections. No problems here. Must be something specific to your network. If you have band steering enabled, use a single SSID for both 2.4/5ghz. We already discussed this topic in the past.

Interesting the advice for old android to provision the camera, I'll tag @gudmundurg.
The last set of troubleshooting was to provision the doorbell on an SSID with a single band being broadcast on a single AP. No "bandsteering" was involved. Leaving 802.11k checked would cause dropouts every 2 to 3 minutes or so. Disabling 802.11k solved the issue. That may not be for everyone's setups, but in my setup that is what was observed.